Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Mullingar to Rooskey [route options published]

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The idea that it'll fail to go anywhere. Once he's gone; that won't be an issue. And hopefully the missing bits of the C-O-S scheme can then go to planning - they need to keep pushing with the existing amputated scheme though.

Bypasses + online upgrades are not the answer here, and the only reason they would be seen as the way to do it is to get around Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If Ryan was the issue you suggest, then the N4 project wouldn't still be 52km long.

Th issue for this scheme is that it will have to pass increasingly stringent planning requirements including aligning with national and international environmental policies, needs to show a sufficient Business Case to justify the half a billion Euro cost, and will be competing with multiple other large projects for funding and resources. None of that changes after Ryan goes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ok, it will, but the worst that could happen is that it slips into the mid-late 2030s. Still gets built eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hopefully common sense prevails and it's the natural extension to the M4 as a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It will never meet the AADT requirements to be a motorway, and indeed the M4 ends significantly before it.

It needs to be a T2DC and hopefully that is what we get, the entire way to Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I agree a motorway is unlikely but AADT wouldn't be the best argument to use. This stretch of the N4 is busier than parts of the N20, which is due to be replaced by motorway in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The man is nothing if not consistent. And unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is why you build for the future and connectivity. Accepting second rate for the main route to the northwest when we should be supporting Donegal and Sligo development - not just in practice but in principle - is not acceptable and shouldn't be.

Ireland should not be accepting second rate roads on any strategic route like that.

Zero ambition sums Ireland up which is why it is an utterly below mediocre place in regards to literally everything. A disease we need to get over.

Your post sums it up. All about why you can't do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 joeymcg

I see it from both sides I really do. Does traffic levels justify Motorway between Gort and Rathmorrissey? I don't think so. Or Rathmorrissey and Annagh Hill, or Tuam for that matter. Don't think so. But we're going into a different era where spending everywhere is under the microscope as well as environment super-consciousness.

I honestly believe the 2+2 Collooney to Castlebaldwin, the Rooskey bypass and this 2+2 scheme (if it's built) will be sufficient for 50 years. Now if Ireland begins to plan for the next 50 years we are doing well, we've never done this before. Learn to walk before you can run.

There is a substantial saving to be made between choosing 2+2 over Motorway. I just think for 2+2s to work you will need very regular laybys for cars breaking down/EVs running out of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Whats the plan for the tie in with the Mullingar Bypass as i think there is a bit of a pinch point under the last overbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know a strictly speaking drivers don’t have to do this (and I know you’re not permitted drive that hard shoulder) but on a road like this with much very generous hard shoulders it would really help traffic flow if slow moochers courteously and safely just moved in briefly and let people off. I don’t see why it’s such a big problem- I’d much prefer do that and safer than 1/2 km of frustrated cars up my car if I was them. It’s quite noticeable in the N4 due to the big traffic volumes and decent quality of much of the sections

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I had hoped for a long time that for the sake of national unity this road should be a motorway with the Mullingar bypass upgraded to motorway but there’s no chance of that – the new road seems to subsume the old one in some areas and there are large numbers of “side road treatments” which may or may not provide access to the new road. All of this prevents it being a motorway.

Now, we just need to get the full Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod scheme back in play, and not just the CoS town bypass element, and we’ll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I expect no new Type 1 DC, with Type 2 DC for the rest. I am hoping that "Side Road treatments" means the creation of parallel access roads for existing entrances: the high number of entrances is what makes the current road dangerous - in terms of width, sightlines and curves alone, it wouldn't be so bad. (the Carrick-on-Shannon project has far more problems in terms of alignment).

Upgrading the Mullingar bypass to blue signs just creates problems for non-permitted traffic (e.g. tractors - this is a rural town after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, I do know that a driver has no obligation to move over to let a line a traffic behind to pass but it's just a general courtesy thing. I was towing a small trailer from Lucan to a little bit beyond Edgeworthstown yesterday so I was not permitted to drive beyond 80 km/h however I moved over to the hard shoulder at every opportunity that I could safely do so at least a dozen times and I never had more than two cars behind me, waiting to pass. In fact, I overtook two cars, one before Ballinalack and the other before Rathowen. Both were doing no more than 70 km/h, both were almost hugging the dotted line in the centre of the road and both of them were up my arse by the time I was half way through each of the villages.

Literally the most annoying type of driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

The person I spoke to at the Mullingar consultation earlier in the week said that where the side roads were marked on the map is where the roads will continue to be accessible from either side but they would not connect with the new N4. Access to/from the new N4 will only be at the purple coloured junctions. He also said the dual carriageway build will be similar to the Rooskey bypass and the speed limit will be 100 km/h, stating that the aim of the road is to Improve safety with any faster journey times being incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know it’s basic awareness and common courtesy as you say. It’s not just an N4 issue but ok all national routes but most noticeable here due to the huge traffic volumes. Also get the other ditherers who refuse to pass a vehicle even when they pull into let them

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As you say, it's common to many 90s era widened national primary routes. It's the same on the N21, the N22 out of Cork, wider parts of the N20 etc.

The N4 north west of Mullingar is well over capacity so the kind of carry on mentioned above is a natural outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Advertisement