Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Seriously? Being arrested for an offence is not evidence of guilt of that offence. Being bailed on a charge of an offence is not evidence of guilt of that offence. Breaching the terms of that bail is not evidence of guilt of that offence. Having insane and disruptive relatives is not evidence of guilt of that offence.

Huh?

Being arrested multiple times for the same offence and having your bail revoked because you can't stop committing the same crime would lend highly to the possibility of a conviction.

No one suggested being arrested automatically means a conviction, you made that up for some reason.

Collete Colfer - why was she not suspended even WITH a so called gender pronoun policy in place?

No idea who that is, but did she behave like an aggressive attention seeking ape at a church service and accost her boss?

"Cue silence……."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Absolutely not; no amount of arrests for an offence are evidence that you have committed the offence. Nor is breach of bail conditions evidence that you committed the offence for which you were arrested and then bailed.

I'm not trying to refute the notion that an arrrest means an automatic conviction; I'm pointing out that an arrest isn't any kind of evidence of guilt at all.

The courts have strict rules for what is admissible as evidence. The fact that you were arrested for an offence is absolutely not evidence that you are guilty of that offence — it has precisely zero probative value. Nor is the fact that you were arrested for, or even convicted of, the same offence committed on other occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

It’s amazing the amount of people that believe Enoch was suspended became of pronouns and not his actions and conduct towards the school and was jailed for his religious beliefs, maybe there is a job teaching for Enoch at the end after all for people that can’t understand facts and can’t add up one and one and come up with pronoun as the answer to Enoch problems. Enoch real problems is down to mammy, the old saying mother Ireland is still rearing them comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Following a case and understanding a case are clearly very different."

Yes, you can follow the case and not understand it, as your post clearly shows.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not; no amount of arrests for an offence are evidence that you have committed the offence.

Of course it is, given the arresting guards actions and opinion is evidence in trespass.

If the Guard asked him to leave and he didn't that is evidence and central to the crime.

The crime is dealt with as a summary conviction, the arresting guards testimony would be key admissible evidence.

It shall be an offence for any person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, to fail to comply with a direction given by a member of the Garda Síochána under this section.

Again, the legislation is not complicated. Why you continue to try and make it so is just bizarre at this stage.

I'm not trying to make the legislation complicated; I'm just pointing out that it says what it says, and you can't ignore it and hope to get a conviction on the grounds that the defendant has been arrested and his family are all mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well the Burke’s told them and they wouldn’t lie because that would be a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

And @Hoboo disappears without a trace when the lies are pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Deleted double post.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement

Well, no - because WHS did actually have a policy in place, one of inclusivity for all students, and they did follow it. Again, to the letter.

You seem to be forgetting or wilfully ignoring the small matter of the student's legal rights under the Equality Acts and/or the Gender Recognition Act and the school's obligations to the student under those Acts, or should they have ignored them to satisfy Mr Burke's demands?

Notably, this also wasn't the first instance of a non-binary student requesting to use a different name or prounoun in WHS, or the first time the school's had issued such a request to staff on behalf of a non-binary student - yet it was the first time EB objected to it.

If you'd followed the case, you'd know this was all part of the testimony given by the then Principal at the case heard in March last year.

Following a case and understanding a case are clearly very different.

On this I agree. You clearly do not understand this case and what actually happened, if you still believe EB's suspension and dismissal is anything to do with "pronouns" or "transgender issues" or anything other than his own behaviour.

Several High Court judges have also made this very clear at this stage, but some, like yourself are still beating the "pronouns" drum.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

I never suggested he would be solely convicted because his family are lunatics. Again you are making things up.

I said his defence to the charges will be ranting and raving about transgenders and family screaming like banshees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

His defence on a trespass prosecution will be that he broke no law, the DPP appears to agree with him, or at least is uncertain.

And my point, which you either have difficulty grasping or seem determined to avoid, is that that is not evidence of his guilt. The DPP will not charge someone with an offence unless the she has evidence to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, every element of the offence, as set out in the legislation creating the offence. If she lacks that evidence, the gap is not filled by pointing out that that the defendant has been repeatedly arrested, or that his defence is incoherent and disruptive. If the prosecution fails to prove every element of the charge, he doesn't need to offer any defence at all; he will be acquitted because there is no case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The pronoun Trans-ideology issue at Wilsons Hospital is an interesting one, (and I know this is not the actual reason for him being put behind bars), but if you listen closely to the rantings of the Burke family you will notice that their Christian views closely match the teaching of the Christian Church, with Mrs B 'megaphone 📣 in hand' shouting God created man & woman, there are only two sexes, male & female, non-binary doesn't exist, men cannot turn into women, neither can women turn into men, down with Transgenderism etc etc, etc, as we've all witnessed on the news …….

Now, iterestingly the School (CofI) also seems to fully signed up to the belief in Gender-ideology, and therefore you have a clash of beliefs, a clash of realities, a clash of Ethos between Christianity & Trans-ideology, which are not really compatible.

I can only presume this is where Enoch & Co are concentrating their efforts, not that it will do them any good, because (as I stated in the beginning), the gender pronoun clash is NOT why he is in trouble, and NOT why he was dismissed from the school, but its noteworthy nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I think that's what she shouts about. A belief that you may have been "assigned" the wrong body, hence you become the opposite sex or non binary they/them, (neither male nor female).

… but you know this anyway.

Will he turn up at the school gates again in September? That is the question 🤔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He verbally assaulted the principal and used strong intimidation in front of a lot of people. How are people still not au fait with this. Enoch claiming its to do with pronouns is just him, surprisingly successfully, distracting from what would have easily qualified as an assault charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I think you will find a Garda stating that he/she found one in the act of trespass would be evidence, as would the Garda statement that the person did not obey an instruction to leave in the first place, of the offence of trespass and not part of the crime of trespass. At/On/At/I was/I saw/I did.

A Garda would be silly to base statements of evidence given in court on opinion. Just small points in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What constitutes ' verbal assault ' though? Did he shout abuse at her, swear or threaten her because I haven't seen an account of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

Just on the aforementioned Collette Colfer, she is a South East Technological University lecturer.

She's also a religious scholar and anti-transgender activist who considers gender identity a religion.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/it-should-be-a-choice-setu-drops-legal-threat-in-gender-pronoun-policy-1716964

Basically, like Enoch, she had issues with her schools policy regarding the trans/gender identity issue.

However, unlike Enoch, she raised objections/concerns about it through the proper formal adult channels and the school amended the policy to take account of her views.

Whatever he did, it was enough that other attendees at the celebratory event felt they had to put themselves physically between EB and the then Principal.

Here is one account that mentions it:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He did indeed. I don’t condone his actions after the initial suspension.

Which was for refusal to call a student by their new chosen name and pronouns.

Which had and has no basis in law for suspension of any kind from employment.

Only, he wasn't suspended for refusing to call a student by a new name and pronouns.

Burke was not suspended for refusing to call a student by their preferred pronouns.

REad that again and try very hard to understand it. Burke was not suspended for refusing to call a student by their preferred pronouns.

The actions you don't condone, the actions you refer as "his actions after the initial suspension", were not taken after his initial suspension. They were taken before his initial suspension. They were the reason for his initial suspension.

Somebody has told you that Burke was suspended for refusing to use a student's preferred pronouns. That person is lying to you. You should not be so credulous.

(For the record: we don't know that Burke ever did refuse to use the student's preferred pronouns. The student was not in any of Burke's classes; he was not their form master and had no particular pastoral responsibility for them. While there could obviously have been some casual interaction between them, there equally might not have been; there was no reason for it. SFAIK there have been no reports of any occasion on which Burke referred to the student by their non-preferred pronouns.)

No, I'm not. You keep banging on about arrests and the guard's opinion and Burke's insane relatives, while ignoring the point that to secure a conviction the prosecution has to prove every element of the offence. It's not impossible to secure a conviction for criminal trespass, but the factors that you keep pointing to won't secure a conviction. You seem perversely reulctant to accept this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No, for the last time, no. He was suspended because he acted in a intimidatory and abusive manner to a co worker (the principal), he done it in public with multiple witnesses.

It is well documented, even in several links in this thread if you don't want to google it. He was so close to her that she could fell the spit of his breath on her face at a public service. At a meeting to discuss disciplinary procedures after this, he shouted over her, and brought his family along who done the same. It is clear cut intimidation. One witness in court described the initial incident as a diatribe and very personal attack against the principal.

to prove every element of the offence

Which are?

See? I knew you hadn't read the legislation you quoted.

The elements of the trespass offence (in subsection (1)) are:

• trespass
    • without reasonable excuse
    • on a building or the curtilage of a building
    • in a manner that causes or is likely to cause fear
    • in another person

Not elements of the offence:

• being arrested
    • being repeatedly arrested
    • breaching bail conditions
    • having mad relatives
    • having a chaotic or disordered defence
    • "guard's opinion" (about anything)

There's a separate offence (in subsection (2)) of failing to comply with a garda direction to leave a place, but an element of that offence is that the guard must have reasonable cause for suspecting that you have committed the first offence, so it all comes back to the elements of the first offence.

(The subsection (2) offence is designed to cover, e.g., a case where, when the guards arrive, the trespasser is behaving placidly and peacably, but those present say that he was behaving in a threatening or violent manner before the guards arrived. That gives the guards a reasonable suspicion that he has been committing the first offence and then (and only then) they can direct him to leave and he commits an offence if he does not. This saves them from having to hang around wating for the trespasser to start behaving in a way that causes fear.)

Based on what is publicly known or reported, the weakness a prosecution case would face is that there is no evidence that the manner of Burke's trespass was such as to cause fear in others, or that a guard could have formed a reasonable suspicion that it was, and this is the cromulent explanation for why he was not charged with either offence. Simply being present on premises without permission isn't, in itself, enough to cause fear; "causes or is likely to cause fear" is an additional element of the offence that the prosecution has to prove over and above the fact of the trespass. It's usually proved by producing a witness who says "I thought he was going to hit me/to steal my stuff/to break things", and supplies credible corroborative detail as to why they thought that. If the only accounts of Burke's demeanour during the trespass are to the effect that he was an inconsiderate attention-seeking arsehole, that doesn't cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ironically, @Boggles appears to have adopted the Ammi Burke approach to arguing legalities.

Advertisement