Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options
1266267268269270272»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's sound a bit like the Indonesia bit in the Last of Us. The absolute most interesting part of a worlds lore is the how it came to be and usually ends up very unsatisfying but it's the thing the lore hounds want the most.

Horizon really did just rip off the panzer dragoon lore and present it is own worst version of it.

Edit: I'm not mad, the director of Guerilla said they used panzer dragoon saga as reference material for killzone 3 so most of the team would have played it. Just has really annoyed me how similar they are and yet I get shouted down by the Horizon fans when I bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought the lore and story of how the world had come to be in HZD was great, but it was great in the context of discovering it through Aloy and knowing what the world is now compared to what it was. We never needed to actually see it. A TV show exploring the events of Zero Dawn itself just felt like "It'll be cheaper to film if it's only 50 years in the future rather than trying to recreate the 'new world'"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tbh I’d say a big part of setting a Horizon TV show earlier is that adapting the game would be so expensive. A game entirely set in a lush post-apocalyptic setting and full of CG dinosaurs and lavish costumes for the human characters? I’d imagine the cost projections might have steered them down an alternate path 😅

Could still happen in a way truer to the source material now that it’s reportedly back to the drawing board, but yeah that’s a risky and expensive thing to adapt for TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose as well they have a lot more leeway with using their own ideas and not being tied down to lore. You'd be in danger of making something like halo which just alienated fans of the series.

Yeah that was my thinking too. Throw the budget into one or two bigger battle scenes, and the rest is just slightly futurised clothes, computer interfaces, and slightly war-ruined streets/buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Is Aloy an interesting/believable character ? I've booted up HZD and played it a bit but I find her/the game annoying/plastic/unauthentic. Like Disney straight to VHS/Streaming level annoying. So, I'd imagine a Netflix adaption of this would be a disaster.

I think it'd be easy enough to tone down Aloy's less likeable qualities in a TV show. In the game, she's just constantly talking, annoyed by everyone and everything, and has too much ego (which because of the nature of the game is kind of deserved because she can do anything and is the best at everything). In a TV show, you could boost the supporting characters a bit more even though the main story would still revolve around Aloy.

I found her a Mary Sue with terrible poundland josh Whedon dialogue that makes her come across as trying too hard to be likeable and ending up totally unrelatable. It's like she has no interesting arc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given a time machine I do think I'd pop back to the late 90s and slap all those Buffy fans; what was cute and unique quickly became the preferred scriptwriting, dialogue crutch of every hack writer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whoa whoa whoa let's not get crazy here, Aloy is a million miles away from Buffy.

• Advertisement

That's why I said Poundland Josh Whedon. I have my issues with his writing but at least he can do actual characters and his quips felt a bit more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,024 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sounds like they wanted a way out of doing Horizon. It wouldn't be the first show to lose a showrunner while in pre-production or even full production. Think a recent example was Daredevil Reborn.

Only time a showrunner leaving would be an issue is if it was their idea initially, like if Joss had left Buffy as it was starting since it was his creation.

Advertisement