Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapist sentenced to 8 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Titanium11

What's that got to do with anything?

How would her agreeing to go into a shed equal her agreeing to be penetrated with three bottles - that left her with injuries and permanent scarring?

She said she doesn't remember how they got into the shed. Trauma can make you forget. He could have pushed her in.

Even if she agreed to go into the shed, that doesn't mean she agreed to being penetrated with three bottles that injured her permanently.

She said that he asked for oral sex, she said no. She said that he then asked her to go outside for a smoke and she agreed to go to Try to calm the situation down. Maybe the shed was right there and he stood in it to smoke and pulled her in

He was twice the size of her. I'm a woman myself. I know at that stage (before he assaulted her) she would have been scared of him , and thinking of how to get out of the situation calmly without angering him

I honestly can't believe this post.

She was injured and permanently scarred by him. She had to receive lengthy treatment for her injuries.

Yet still someone comes on to say, well she agreed to go into the shed. Which is not true anyway. She says that she can't remember how she got in the shed.

The lack of empathy in some people is truly shocking.

Let me ask you, would you consent to be raped with not one but three bottles and be left with scarring for the rest of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, I wouldn’t. Anyway, I believe her, not him. I was simply asking about details on the case, as discussed during radio interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s a creative list of possible but unlikely scenarios how she ended up in the shed. It’s most likely that she went there voluntarily but doesn’t say so because it would have been utilised by the defence. Of course people will wonder why she didn’t leave once he showed signs of aggression although nobody can answer this but her.

I do think the amount of violent points out there is extremely damaging to society.

I also think that there needs to be a lot more education on how to respect women iin Ireland.

I have met too many men ( not all men) in my life in Ireland who seemed to think that they were absolutely entitled to sex, and that the woman's thoughts and feelings didn't matter in any way at all.

Women are seen as sub humans a lot of the time.

At least they are implementing more severe sentences for rapists now.

Empathy for women doesn't seem to stop the certain men that do it. However a lengthy jail sentence may stop these kinds of men from doing it. They may think twice when they think about a potential 8 year jail sentence

• Advertisement

Right let's say look at the potential scenario that she agreed to go into the shed to stand with him for a smoke.

She said he wanted to go outside for a smoke. A

t this stage he hadn't hurt her, and she knew him through friends.

Maybe it was raining and they stood into the shed To get out of the rain to smoke.

So let's say she did agree to go and stand in the shed.

How does her agreeing to go into the shed,

mean that she agreed to be violently penetrated with three bottles?

One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other

None of your dreamed up scenarios make much sense and your generalisation about men and a lack of empathy for women is also not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It wouldn't matter if she had gone into the shed voluntarily. Nothing she did justified that creep penetrating her with bottles.

No, Irish men do not require education and the assholes are in the minority.

We had enough of this nonsense in the wake of the murder of Ashling Murphy. Funnily enough, they all went quiet as soon as it was revealed the murdered wasn't Irish.

It's actually you who is coming across as extremely strange and utterly bizarre.

You haven't answered my question.

Even if she agreed to go into the shed.

What has that got to do with him violently assaulting her and leaving her injured?

Can you answer that

• Advertisement

Thanks! you sound like a normal person.

The man is a violent creep. What he did was likely to leave anyone with injuries. He did that knowing that

At poster Jequ0n.

Even if a person agrees to go into a private space with someone, the other person is not allowed to physically hurt and injure the person.

That is law101.

Learn it.

You are not allowed by law to hit, injure or assault another person

I disagree.

Read back.

My post did say "not all men".

Saying we need to have more education on how to respect women and consent in Ireland, is not saying all men are rapists.

Having discussions and education about consent is not saying all men are rapists.

It is saying that things need to be improved. And it's something we all need to do together.

And I know many men that think this too.

In the wake of all the recent violent sexual assaults against women in Ireland that have been in the news,

a lot of men that i know have talked to me about it, and hae said that they want Ireland to be a better place for women. That there needs to be more education on consent

Making it a better place for women also makes it a better place for men too

@jequon

You still haven't answered how her agreeing to go in the shed has anything to do with him violently assaulting her and leaving her with injuries that she had to get treated for ages.

Want to answer?

Because what you said is shocking beyond ridiculous.

Nobody thinks that her going into the shed justifies what he did to her with the bottles. But it does raise the question why she did not remove herself from the house once she picked up on the aggressive vibes. If anything positive is to come out of the case it’s surely that people should put themselves first instead of trying to placate others and potentially endangering themselves.

Maybe she was afraid he would get more aggressive if she tried to leave and she did her best to calm him down?

He's a large man, a woman wouldn't have a hope of fighting him off.

I can answer that. As I was at two house parties when I was in college where some men got a bit threatening to me.

When you are the smaller person in a room, and the bigger person becomes threatening, you become very scared.

And when you are scared you start to think about - how to get out of the situation safely

You think -if I run out the door crying and making a fuss,,he is going to run after me and hurt me and hold me down .

You start to think, well i will just calm him down, and talk to him calmly, until I can get out of here safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Babyreignbow

I was thinking about this the other day, it's easy to get stuck in a place when it's in the news a lot but while I've been on the receiving end of a very physical violent assault and sexual harassment by a number of men I've actually been sexually assualted by three women, that I can recall.

I don't mean rape, I mean on three seperate occassions with three different women, I was forcefully physically sexually impinged upon. Pressed up against a wall by their body in an attempt to be seductive, followed into a cubicle door locked and forcefully 'kissed' and I had another one sit on top of me and then proceed to wallop me across the face. don't ask. The worst part of these 'assaults', because that's what they technically are, is when having nicely and politely refused their advances they turn it around and take it as a personal insult and that's like signing a death warrant. If a man had pulled the same stunts no one would question the nature of it.

Education is for all of us, everyone needs to know what is acceptable behaviour and what's just not appropriate.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

If someone threatened you you’d leave the house in which several other people were staying at the same time, and go to a secluded shed thinking that this would de-escalate matters? This is exactly the scenario that the poster had wondered about: why someone might do this. As I said if someone positive can come out of this case it’s that people realise that this is not a good approach, especially when people are drunk or high.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately that's the time when people are the least cognizant. It doesn't by any means absolve him of his crime just btw.

She said she went outside with him for a smoke to de escalate matters .

I can totally understand her. You don't understand as you haven't felt that fear.

I was once absolutely terribly afraid of a man at a house party. He terrified the life out of me. He was sexually threatening and intimidating to me

I remember that i said to him "it was lovely to meet you, I would really like to see you and talk to you again next week ".

I didn't mean it at all. I said it to him so he would let me leave the house.

He let me leave the house , as he thought he would see me again the next week

I never said that it absolved him. I don’t think anyone on this thread had claimed so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

Titanium, I was only looking at what happened from a pure technical perspective. I was NOT trying to victim blame or anything else. I can understand that the lady may have initially gone along with some of his suggestions re going out for a smoke, etc.

My core point centres around the comment she made on Oliver Callan’s interview when she said that when he turned off the light in the kitchen that his MOOD COMPLETELY CHANGED and for the worst - he becoming very aggressive. I am trying to comphrend why the lady did not formulate a quick exit strategy and get out of there / out of the situation. There are a range of excuses such as going to the toilet;, I must make a phone call - move around the house reception being bad ; go outside and get lost.:; call for help from someone else in the house, etc, etc, etc. As you might say that these are all ‘ fine and dandy’ when you are sober but when you have had a lot to drink or having consumed a lot of elicite substance such thoughts may not be easy to come by.
    As they say ‘ we are all experts with hindsight’

Taoiseach Simon Harris has urged men to call out the questioning of victims of violence and to change attitudes towards women in Ireland.

Our male taoiseach has said that men need to change attitudes towards women in Ireland.

I just felt really terribly sad about the Blathnaid raleigh case.

I know so many women who have been raped in Ireland.

That it has now gotten to the stage where some men are raping women with physical objects and leaving them physically damaged, is really shocking , heartbreaking and frightening. What kind of society are we living in.

Did you see the other ongoing rape case, where an Irish rugby player is one of the men accused of gang raping a woman in France -with a crutch.

You were at a house party. There is safety in numbers. The worst thing you can do is separate from the pack and isolate yourself. But I do enjoy your view and that you are sharing your thinking on the matter.

I'm completely on board with the target of zero tolerance approach to gender based violence but I believe it would be a good start if people learned to value themselves first.

I think we have an opportunity to cultivate a culture of respect where everyone has value, both men and women would benefit from having a better sense of self worth and which would hopefully lead to greater regard for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Aren't you the guy who was defending P-Diddy in another thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

wth is up with the bottles? That’s some messed up ****. Poor girl suffering injuries like that. If it was because he wasnt able to get an erection, that’s even possibly worse.

Advertisement