Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Great second half in France v New Zealand. NZ win with a penalty kick in injury time which had to be confirmed by the TMO!

French 6 is some athlete - French 9 also looks very nippy. Kiwi 11 that phonebooth sidestep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Why are these games not on Irish tv or a youtube channel? Nobody wants to be signing upto rugbypass. No France NZ game when I went into their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because no channel signed up and world rugby chose to show games on rugby pass which they purchased than simply on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So even less people will watch it live. At least the highlights are up on youtube, though it doesn't give you the suggestion for the next game like the URC feed does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The coverage is free and is good quality on RugbyPass from what I’ve seen. All you need is an email address, not much to complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Virgin had it last time, maybe the viewing numbers didn’t give a return on investment

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I signed up to rugby pass for this. Totally simple and easy, I'd be happy to watch all rugby this way.

Like the 4 minute highlight options as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Shehal

I'm wondering watching today are all the so called "lesser teams" saving their best for today? Because Italy look a total different team, all over Australia atm (only 7-0 though) and Ireland nearly losing to Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Rugby pass also shows the 7 series which is great and they showed Eng v Japan last week . Great service

Delete

• Advertisement

Italy and Argentina score at the same time

SA 0-24 Argentina

Australia 0 - 14 Italy

I've mainly been watching Italy v Australia and honestly, where was this Italy team against Ireland? Have been utterly dominant from start to finish, 14 points probably flatters Australia if anything.

EDIT - Australia score a try with basically their first attack from a maul!

And ironically SA also score a try at the same time from a penalty try!

And Italy have beaten Australia 17-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

i honestly think we have the team to win this thing. Bring back sheahan, spicer, gleeson and murphy into the starting line up and it will make a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭johnh6767

that’s an optimistic statement after what we saw today, I am full for optimism, and called the win as we were losing, but large gap between NZ / France to today , we have to be honest with ourselves. Proud of those men pulling the worm from the weed at the last play

To me the drop off from murphy to naughton, and sheahan to smyth is pretty big right now especially. Smyth has higher upside imo so there is an argument to play him anyway. I'f question Murphy's ceiling but he is incredibly polished for an u20s ten.

I think getting Treacy and McLaughlin back in as well, not to mention spicer and gleeson.

I hope you’re right, it just feels like a large moat to jump. Reality is we were 20 seconds from this boards absolutely boshing this team. Personally I am full of admiration for how Georgia handled themselves as apparent & dramatic underdogs . Equally impressed with our men to pull off a last play win against the head. Pre match lessons - Always frightening to see an over confident team , today we came good but ….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Crazy set of results, tournament is wide open, Ireland had a bad day, but with a few first teamers back, could do well, maybe today was a needed wake up.

Sorry, i forgot the main reason. This year's france don't look as good as last year. That leaves it more wide open than people think imo.

I think people are downplaying Georgia, they beat England a couple of wks ago. Their Pack are monsters , their outhalf has played senior internationals for Georgia. They are a very good team and we done very well to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lonester99

Mullan deserves a shot over Sparrow against australia, more tenacity and higher work rate sparrow looked like he didnt want to be there. Also Ward should come back in over Flynn or edogbo both were comprehensively outplayed by their opposites. Maybe something like:

1. Boyd
    2. Sheehan,
    3. Mullan
    4. Spicer
    5. O'connell
    6. Mccillop
    7. Ward
    8. Gleeson
    9. Coffey
    10. Murphy
    11. Treacy
    12. Gavin
    13. De klerk/ Berman - either dont care
    14. Mcglaughlin/Moloney
    15. O'connnor/Moloney either dont care

• Advertisement

has someone done the team of the last 3 years U20? Good insights to the future

DoDon't Really need to and not necessarily an insight into future for senior national team. Many guys who've looked class at 20s just don't go on at all to make an impression in the pro game.

agree but the stand out guys do and I have stand out for at least half of the 15 , just interesting to see if someone else has done the hard yards . Easier of course to pick the backs as skills v bulk is easier to identify at the u20 age group

Not all stand outs at 20s go on and it's just very hard to say. Just stick to moment. Wouldn't worry too much about saying which 20s will be internationals, provincial players, provincial squad players or just club players in 3/4/5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

Hard to know what to make of the result today, I'm veering towards the glass half empty view, maybe there are too many options available in certain positions, but we need Faloon to make the correct calls which I think from today's game might be a bit clearer in the games ahead. The backrow didn't work and the centers defensively didnt seem to work well together either. There's more to come from Gleeson and he can be a real game changer if match fit so wouldn't blame him for backrow issues and it improved when he came on even though the balance wasn't right. Our scrums will always struggle but games are not won or lost there, and that goes for Irish teams in general

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Naughton had a good game for me, kicked well, carried hard when needed and his passing was ok bar a couple. While he's been around this squad it was his first start and he didn't lead and direct as well as Murphy does but I wouldn't have it as a slight against him. Murphy looks really polished, smart and a real leader.

Ward, Gleeson, Tracey and Sheehan would all come back in for me. Think I'd prefer Tracy on the wing.

The belief in this group looks very strong, they had no right to sneak that win except for pure belief in that last passage. Fair play to them. Hard luck to the Georgians who were the better side for 55 minutes.

give it a try man! I’ll start with the easy bit

7 Culhane

8 Gleeson

9 Gunne

10 Prendergast

Tell me more !!

What's the rush. What's the panic why do you have to look to which guys could be 100 caps or long term pros. Why not simply just talk about how good they've been this year and keep winning or win when they've no right to…

Look at the 2016 team that made the final. For every James Ryan in that squad whose playing top level pro rugby theres guys playing at best ail rugby or not playing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭conquestscarer

Dupont was on the bench for France u20s, some players just explode at senior rugby and others don't translate as well. If you look at the list of u20 player of the year the careers of the players vary from world class to names you haven't heard. The provinces job is to give talent with the potential the platform to fulfill il that potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

Was he not the star of the 2016 u20 WC for france

Advertisement