Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shan Doras

It's sad how things have ended between RTE and the former "Head of content", going to the WRC according to bakhurst today. That guy spent approximately 40 years of his life working in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

How would RTÉ get union members to accept the change of contracts that would take place if production of long-running programmes was outsourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Prime Time down to once a week for 2 months. Late Debate on Radio One off for the summer. Six One News will shortly get reduced to 30 minutes. The One News down to a mere summary for the summer.

This is public service broadcasting.

Before Newstalk went National in the late 00s, late debate wasn't the only Radio 1 show to go off air for the summer and Morning Ireland used to be cut to an 8am start too. TV3/Virgin has never been a serious challenger to them which is why they still get away with it on Television

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭RoTelly

What about your foreign competitors? And your news channel? OR how about your public service?

There is a clear slow down in Radio news over the summer months, the lights might be on but their is little happening, lots of fluffy news.

Also am I wrong to suggest that RTÉ have more coverage of the Election in the UK tomorrow than they did for the locals and European elections on TV?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

They should have been name Director of Sounds and Director of Screen.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'll be cynical and wonder if the new titles are effectively a new role on paper so you can make a payout on the outgoing "redundant" role. A stroke if you like !

Problem is that really Director of Radio became Director of Content while Director of TV became Director of Audiences, Marketing and Channels.

______

Yesterday

Well the oireachtas committee as asked to get rid of the licence fee.

RTÉ got significant funding following a scandal it was a master stroke from them.

Time to move on I suppose great show from all

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

that was a stroke for sure,rte shouldve got nothing until the fraud squad was called in and every thing gone through…speaking of dodgy dealings…whatever happened to whats his name…dees and tubidys mate…dude that had the "stable of talent"…ned kelly…?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

The summer recess is almost here and soon this will be last year's story and RTE can continue safe in the knowledge that a bailout and top-up is always at hand. Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Anytime Bakhurst mentioned the meetings in the Town Hall I was visualisation The Little House On The Prairie... Where is there Town Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There isn't a literal 'Town Hall' in Montrose. A 'town hall meeting' for a big company is a major gathering of staff across the company.

Meanwhile, the media committee has endorsed direct exchequer funding

Not sure it'll make much difference though

Why? He like most, if not all of the Executive Board, were in the wrong. What did he do for RTÉ over there 40 years? He'll hopeful get nothing.

______

Yesterday

Is there any difference between this and the outsourcing of Children's content?

CollyFlower is correct they term comes from American Culture of having "town hall" meetings at community level, Little House and The Simpsons would have had plenty of Town Hall meetings over the years, solidifying the cultural reference. It is simply a Monthly Staff Meeting.

Though largely speaking RTÉ studio are much like Town Halls and I am sure Montrose House possibly has a large room to gather in.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭pjordan

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/it-was-heartbreaking-jennifer-zamparelli-says-she-left-2fm-after-rte-refused-her-time-off-to-care-for-children/a1094517610.html

Surprised I'm the first throwing this out for discussion on this thread. Strikes me as a bit of PR spin by Zamparelli to protect her "brand" and preserve her fee value for DWTS.

I was of the impression that the reason for herself and The Johnnies and Garrihy leaving 2fm was because of the commercial restrictions of the new regieme and the greater financial potential and scope with podcasts. Now instead she's embarking on a emotive charm offensive that somehow it wasn't her choice at all. It was all down to RTE forcing her to chose between her show and her family (yep that's sure to pull on some heart strings, but some how I don't buy it!).

Maybe she's already discovering that the faraway hills mightn't be as green as the fattened teat that fed unabated and unconditionally.

Yeah, I said this about Claire Byrne and her exit from TV. But all of these people are well paid and have partners that are well paid and have good holidays, no real reason that they don't have some "house staff" to help with the children during the school year, I know its very Victorian of me but why don't more people employ Nannies?

Dream life

Morning School Run

Arrive to the studio a 8:50 for my RoTelly Radio show at 9am

Some sob story, followed by how expensive life has become (Don't care have to have my work life balance)

12:00 Daily show meeting

12:30 head to pub, then Lunch a Roly's with the DG, make sure everything is good (after this busy day with accountant and such)

Meanwhile

1pm Maid/Nanny arrives to my luxary home, Tidies up (washing etc.)

1:30 gets ready for Children to come back from school as something for them, may have to pick up the younger ones from the school at 2:30

3pm gets children to do their home work, and help wash lunch boxes and preparing lunch for tomorrow (you don't want your kids to be above themselves but they are brats)

4pm Prepares dinner (The nanny does this sorry, I am at the accountants or with the bank manager, oh prob with the agent)

6pm We return home from a long days work, ready to heat up dinner and put the children to bed.

7pm looks up boarding schools for teen years (they are brats now wait for the teen years, they need structure and I have the money to give them that structure)

8pm opens my usual bottle of the most expensive red wine, as I put the children to bed.

During the summer, take my 40 days holiday as much as possible, but might leave if they refuse!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Virtually every interview with a politician on RTE radio and often on TV for the last several months contains or ends with a question as to how 'RTE will be funded'.

This is often regardless of the reason the interview is taking place. It's nakedly obvious.

My question: is this lobbying? Have RTE and it's staff registered as lobbyists? As per https://www.lobbying.ie/

On the face of it, there can be no question that the station and it's staff are seeking to influence government decisions as to their future & by implication, their personal incomes etc. But are they exempt from this I wonder as public employees. There are strict reporting rules around lobbying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Karppi

My view is that The two Johnnies and Garrihy left due to the new commercial restrictions but I think Jennifer Zamparelli wasn't offered an new contract, her ratings for that slot were at an historic low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

My take on it would be they were told paycuts were coming, no outside gigs etc etc.

This one is actin the ******

No loss anyway, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Significant pay cut (as mentioned above) or no new contract. It was one or the other.

She'll nasally whinge away to whoever listens.

@RoTelly what are the current old-fashioned TV ratings like for Fair city? Compared to 5+ years ago like. I was surprised to hear Bakhurst praising it so much, I just haven't heard Fair city being talked about by the general public in recent years. I know 2001 was a different world before streaming but back then, Billy Meehan may as well have been real life the way people talked about it

Between 170k to 250k.

This week FC had 171k to 193k, but it is summertime and it is up against the Euros. Average audience in Jan was 245k.

Now these figures are for adults only. (15+). RTÉ ONE +1, daytime repeats and the Omnibus edition along with the player would add to this figure.

Soap is still relatively strong, not like back in Billy Mehan's day but he was also helped by WWTBAM, and I think Coro Street was running for a while on RTÉ during his time on the show.

And if Bakhurst thought it was so good why did he cut it back to 3 nights?

The writers of FC are up in arms, you cannot say FC is **** to 4 types of people 1. RTÉ staff, 2. the crew of the show (in particular writers), 3. academics (particularly those that write for FC) and 4. the fans.

According to one academic on Twitter FC is an icon, while one of their writers suggested it was "washing its face" (breaks even). Neither are true. While a fan was impressed by longevity!

I spoke to two people randomly about FC, a shop assistant I'd say in her mid-20s, she said she didn't watch but she did with her parents and had no real view, it wasn't for her, and a Garda (late-40s) that pointed to Red Rock as a better soap.

If FC was an iconic show it would not have the nickname Fairly ****, no other soap from Ireland has ever been given such a derogatory name, and if it was breaking even why aren't RTÉ producing a second soap?

Move FC over to RTÉ2 see how long the audience stick with it, not long, I imagine.

IMO Soap has its place, I don't think it has had its day, but RTÉ have over emphasised it, just look at how the mopped up soaps as soon as Coro St left RTÉ, Neighbours, Doctors, Crossroads, EastEnder, Casualty, Holby City all taken by RTÉ since the exit of Coro St.

But could soap viewers be online? KB suggested 5% of all viewing on the player was FC. You can factor in that the Player has an exclusivity toward the show. I wonder how the Aussie soaps do, Home and Away is always on of the most popular shows on the player. But perhaps the player isn't doing all that well and that 5% is purely about the exclusivity of the series on the player.

I would also argue there is a slight left wing bias toward FC, for some reason they believe it really resonates with the viewing public and has been key to the progress of Ireland over the last 35 years (though most of that progress only happened in the last 10, not the greatest period for any reforming soap opera). They also believe that you should not complain about the writing or acting of Fair City, and think about the crew of the show rather than the suggestion that you might actually consider producing a better show. (Recently Doctors was axed by the BBC there is a thread on X that really shows the bias of the writer).

My real issue is that RTÉ increase in independent productions is purely coming from the move of FC and TLLS to them, rather then increasing spend in other areas of Drama and Entertainment.

They all argue I never be happy no matter what they did, but I just wish they did something.

______

Yesterday

I haven't watched a single episode of FC in about 4 yrs but when I did watch it in the 2010s, the problem was storylines full of massive plot holes, there was the story about Dermot stealing Paul's money and going on the run with his family but his 12yo foster daughter goes off on holiday to the Faroe islands with her 19yo sister in the middle of school term and never comes back, then it turns out Dermot has only 320k of pauls money, sure his house would be worth more than that but he signs that over to Jane. So to sumorise, A Dublin accountant who's also a foster carer for Tusla decides to give away his house, jack in his job and life to spend the rest of his life a fugitive with 320k, he actually had 400k but lost 80k in the back of a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Virtually every interview with a politician on RTE radio and often on TV for the last several months contains or ends with a question as to how 'RTE will be funded'.

Good point - Is there a thinly veiled threat in there I wonder (in a subliminal way) - 'I've just given you a super-soft interview, it may not be so soft the next time buddy…think about that'

• Advertisement

So to me it look like RTÉ did far more for the UK GE than they did for the Local and European Elections.

Sending staff to London for the count, I understand that RTÉ covers NI and have no problem with them posting someone to Belfast (preferably their NI staff). But was their any need for David McCullagh to be in London? They have a new London Correspondent that we'll hear from for the next month with the new government in the UK but after than like most correspondents it will be "not often seen or heard", I know his predecessor wasn't great but that wasn't the reason he had so little air time.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement