Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Shehal

I'm not worried about Jack. The issue I have is 9 & 10 are the most important positions on the field besides tight head prop and in that position we have Casey who, to my knowledge has only had tier 1 starts versus Italy, and Crowley who's only really been our starting 10 this 6N. I mean individually they are both good but I would have gathered them being next to someone more experienced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

At this stage Casey and Crowley is an established pairing which I think overrides a lot of that concern. It also means Ireland play the same rough gameplan they would if JGP was there, as opposed to a very different style with Murray.

I'd rather JGP was available but he isn't so I think this is the next best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Oh its the who were allowed to talk about police. Good fun

I can understand that. I think its a blessing in disguise long term though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is so far beyond a sweeping generalisation that I think I’m going to call it “post-generalisation”.

And every single one of you will be hovering over the keyboard on Saturday afternoon, just praying for Osborne to make a mistake. That’s the worst part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Shehal

You don't get it though, its not about facts or logic. Its all about supporting a narrative that SA are forward thinking and everything is great whereas Ireland are old and past it….despite the facts pointing to the contrary. It makes we skeptical of everything that has been written in the preview to this game as none of it adds up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes talking about Boks and French players on an Irish thread is great fun 😂

I never said you couldn't talk about the player by the way, bang away

We have an inexperienced 9/10 axis at international level.

A second row with 11 caps

A brand new 15 with his first cap
    A winger with 6 caps

All in the first team. Yeah the claims here is the team is predictable, nobody gets a chance, too conservative etc etc etc

As you say some people will be more than happy to see Osbourne have a poor game so they can run to the web with the "told you so posts", similar to when Henshaw was tried at 15 v England and people today, 5 years later, bring that up. A game which wasn't won or lost by the backs.

The options to play conservative was open to Farrell, he didn't pick them. Yet people are still moaning on here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭50HX

I thought he said the same about jimmy o brien

• Advertisement

This is revisionism tho. Henshaw absolutely contributed to the loss that day.

It should be ok to mention that, it seems like a reasonable comparison for a centre playing FB again.

That doesn’t mean everyone is out to get Osborne.

Frisch is an iq player contracted to an irish club. Anyway way to make a mountain out of a small bit at the end of a comment

No No you asked for some rotation of players into the team that means you must be enthusiastic about a player being played out of position or your s hypocrite 🙄

The people claiming others like to be annoyed themselves like to be. Already multiple comments about people wanting to jump on osbourne if he plays poorly, im not sure iv seen anyone say a bad word about him most are very excited for him as a player to think its odd for a player to play his second senior game of rugby at 15 vs the world champions is odd is not unreasonable at all

And if someones previously said we should rotate players in that dosent mean they have to think tom o toole playing 10 is a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's a bit of a bizarre selection, but I've so little hype for this series it's difficult to be bothered by it.

About time Casey got a big start, no longevity in our other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I love this selection for a game we are expected to lose that is low stakes. This is what Summer tours should be about, build the team for next season and beyond. Hopefully Osborne does well and puts pressure on Keenan for the shirt. Hopefully Casey and Crowley can replicate some of the higher tempo play we like from JGP and gain more confidence together in green. The boks are the ones wetting the bed on social media, very little pressure on us for this match whereas if they lose Ireland establish themselves as a bogey treat for them and Rassie loses a little more cognition next week. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I agree with the sentiment of a game of low stakes. I still think a more prudent selection of Osborne, at 12, would be much more beneficial to the side and particularly to the player himself.

If there was scope for growth for him as a fullback I could somewhat get behind the selection, even though I would still think this selection is asking way too much from a young guy on his debut.

Pleasantly surprised that Farrell went with Casey.

If SA score a try early it could turn into a heavy defeat. SA 32-10 Ireland

On the social media stuff - Its unsavory from Erasmus and SA.

I'm probably in the minority but I was delighted that Johnny Watterson called it out in the IT today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/07/05/hyping-up-the-violent-imagery-an-unhealthy-route-for-rugby-to-take/

————————————————-

War is mentioned again by a commentator, this time an “all-out war” with the video closing with two players, Irish centre Bundee Aki and South Africa’s Jesse Kriel in profile facing each other like a pair of heavyweight sluggers at a weigh-in looking as though they are eager to get on it right there and not wait for fight night.

As the video comes to an end, the profiles of the players move closer together with bolts of lightning shooting from their eyes, then closes with the Springbok and South African logo “Forever Green Forever Gold”.

From the many comments on social media, the hype video appears to have gone down very well with fans. Perhaps part of that is because it is something new for rugby, and that it has not reached the weary levels of fakery in professional boxing, which even when the aggression and insults are not fake, they seem fake because it has been done so many times in the past.

………………………………………………………..

Still, without being po-faced, there is a question for rugby. Everyone knows matches must be profitable to keep the game healthy. But does it want to normalise the talking up of war and violence on the pitch to attract a younger, bloodthirsty audience?

And is it appropriate given the cases currently running through the courts here and in the UK involving brain-damaged rugby players?

—————————————————No. It definitely isnt appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Stanley 1

How Casey measures up in size to Du Pont and de Klerk is what Casey should be aiming at, in particular how Du Pont supports on the inside which provides half his tries, de Klerk is exceptional in the back field covering kicks, both not much bigger than Casey but more powerful and way ahead in the brains dept,.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Dupont and Faf both have 10kg on Craig. He has a bit of bulking up to do. Dupont in particular is a little tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dupont does (and has probably dropped a couple of kilos to prepare for the Olympics). FDK doesn't though according to the available stats. His fitness is outrageous which allows him be everywhere and, as mentioned above, he's a very smart player. You rarely see him make a bad decision or do something silly despite touching the ball 50+ times in a game. He became first choice for SA at 24 and hasn't looked back. Those smarts/consistency is what Casey should aspire to but I'm not sure he has that capability (which is no criticism given the level we're talking about here).

I don't think Casey can really bulk up much. He's not skinny. He's just a small guy. FDK is the same weight but has a couple of inches on him. If Casey puts on 5kg, he'll find it hard going to keep playing with the same tempo as he is known for.

What channel is the match on tomorrow?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I still maintain Casey has the best pass on the island, and is the closest analog to JGP that we have.

There are downsides which we’ve seen on occasion, owing to his size, but there’s tonnes of upside too. I’m excited to see how he gets on, big game for him.

Its his first big start for Ireland. Italy games still don't count.

Kicking was the thing….has it improved much?

Its his first big start for Ireland. Italy games still don't count.

It was one of Italy's only 2 losses in the 6N. I'm pretty sure that counts.

Its very hard to start a reasonable conversation here sometimes.

ok. they're not comparable matches at all…. but if you insist

Has his kicking improved much?

I'm not the one being irrationally dismissive of a team that won 2 matches and drew another in the 6N for outdated historical reasons.

No, his kicking is still iffy. But Murray is ponderous and forces us to adapt our normal gameplan. I'd much rather we go with the aggressive approach.

• Advertisement

My own impression fwiw is that it’s an area of his game that’s improved (and needed to) in the last 2 seasons, but had a better 22/23 off the boot.

He’ll never get Murray’s hang time tho.

Advertisement