Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI - Westminster Election 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did I hear that right on the BBC that SF's Chris Hazzard is at risk of losing his seat to the SDLP in South Down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Continuing with the abuse then I see.

There was a time that everyone said that taking Dáil seats would destroy the party. It didn't.

Point out the abuse please? Or report it.

Thoroughly bizarre and exhausting exchange. I'm done with ya.

Fin

I'm sure it is exhausting to insist a pattern of deciding the impossible and untenable is Fine Actually cannot continue is exhausting, with zero evidence, and just shouts and rants to back it up.

If there is a failed border poll, SF will go in to Westminster. I don't see another reason they would; but a failed border poll is exceptionally likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Turnout low in FST I believe. Ordinarily that would suit SF but too early to say

Heaven's above, RTÉ wheeling out Mick Bleedin' Fealty.

Col. Tim Collins basically conceding in North Down.

He thinks Alex Easton will take it from Stephen Farry. That's a shame if true.

• Advertisement

My word, imagine having voted for him and listening to his sour grapes

BBC NI not expecting a result until 3, going to be extremely hard to tease out rumours for that long.

Looking like Farry has been ousted.

I did say, somewhere on here, that I thought Alliance had a better chance of getting Lagan Valley and East Belfast than keeping North Down.

Long has not had a fantastic campaign so Lagan Valley could be it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

God, we should never get rid of PR-STV. FF tried to do so in the 70's.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

We never will. We're too attached to it.

I would be onboard for some electronic counting though.

The irony of our attachment to those great British impositions of county boundaries and PR-STV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there any news on Gavin Robinson?

Some sources saying he's gone (Alliance/Long win); some saying he's not so nothing reliable.

No counts til 3 allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If he's gone this would be some kick for DUP and surely he would have to step down as leader

The problem is - to let in who?

I suspect they'd find a 'volunteer' to let him take their Stormont seat - they're co-options not by-elections - and lead from there.

Diana Armstrong confident of taking Fermanagh/South Tyrone seat for the UUP. That would be a blow for SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They had a strong candidate, but did not run her. But in general, there is no great interest in Westminster in the SF electorate, people wouldn't over exert themselves getting out to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hope sein fein gets a few seats in northern Ireland

Alliance saying they'll lose North Down but confident in Lagan Valley. East Belfast very tight.

Would be some story if Lagan Valley goes to Alliance.

They're going to win a few definitely; and will very possibly have the most of any party. They might even add one they didn't have before.

But they are very likely to lose one, up to three.

Not sure about losing three, FST perhaps, beyond that unlikely.

South Down does not look good; North Belfast is still in play.

All the others should be absolutely solid.

DUP sources tell BBC's Gareth Gordon they have lost Lagan Valley. Wow.

DUP candidate conceding on BBC there, not that that means anything legally.

Looks like it's confirmed alright. Unionism losing Lagan Valley is stunning, and sounds like it wasn't particularly close either.

Lagan Valley seems quite clear, so 2 DUP seats certainly lost and Long and Allister challenging for two of their other seats, it seems that Lockhart will at least have a much reduced majority also. A bit of an implosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭LetticebCivil

Jonathan Buckley loves himself. Great to see him gone.

Bah. BBC suggesting Robinson will retain the seat for the DUP in East Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

What's going to happen to Naomi Long then? Is she going to resume as an MLA? Personally, thought she was one of the best politicians from here despite not being an Alliance voter.

Presumably returns to her post as Justice Minister at Stormont.

I'd be interested in listening to Robinson's victory speech as I recall he gave a very mean spirited one when he defeated her the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Ergh..Is it normal for speeches to sound like they're winning an Oscar as opposed to what they hope/plan to do with their with their mandate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's fairly common, esp. in NI Westminster elections, where the voters understand that NI MPs are pretty much an irrelevance at Westminster, and hence can't do anything at all with their mandates.

Relevantly to this point there were interesting, if somewhat mean-spirited, comments by Tim Collins when he conceded that he's wasn't going to win North Down for the UUP.

“People in North Down, I think they don’t want someone who doesn’t live in Northern Ireland . . . They’re interested in local politics, they’re not interested in cutting VAT, they’re not interested in international affairs. They’re interested in potholes and hedges.”

Well, yes, Tim; where have you been for the last hundred years? People in North Down are not stupid; they know that whoever they elect will have zero influence over VAT or international affairs or any other UK-wide issue; it has always been so. But the MP for North Down might be able to serve as an effective advocate for North Down on issues particularly affecting North Down. Naturally that influences how they vote; why would you not expect this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

SF increase their majority to over 4,000 and hold FST, SF have held all 7 of their seats.

Ian Paisley loses North Antrim for DUP to Jim Allister (TUV), Sorcha Eastwood takes Jeffrey Donaldson's old seat in Lagan Valley for APNI, becoming the first woman and first non-Unionist to hold that seat. Robin Swann takes South Antrim in a landslide for UUP.

Looks like turnout is down to 58%, just East Derry results left to come.

A solid rejection of DUP from all quarters really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tim Collins is a w@nker.

Otherwise, a solid kicking for Unionism in general, and DUP in particular.

You love to see it. Time for a celebratory morning coffee.

East Derry result almost seismic and some tactical withdrawal from the SDLP could have seen Soupy losing his seat to SF.

Same with East Antrim where SF and SDLP withdrawal could have seen Alliance in and North Antrim where the same could have helped Junior. I'd sooner have him in that seat instead of the puce son of Monaghan that is Jim Allister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Flegory gets in with just 180 votes to spare, damn

Never really thought Flegory's seat was in play, so that result is very surprising. Going to be the last time it's DUP - he'll likely retire rather than be the one that loses it.

Did really think Gavin Robinson was gone - and there its not even a case of split votes as the margin is above what the SDLP and Greens got.

The results in East Derry, East Antrim and North Antrim are big piles of what might have been. I'm really annoyed at them..

It was a long night watching the count but worth it to see Ian Paisley Jun stomping around the count refusing to talk,

Not surprised Naomi Long lost out, ruined her own campaign in many ways.
    Not surprised by FST either, Armstrong's negative campaigning backfired on her.

Sorcha Eastwood in Lagan Valley was surprisingly easy in the end.

East Antrim biggest surprise of the night.
    Vote share:

Gregory Campbell owes his survival to Aontu it would seem:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The DUP + UP + UUP vote is still a few thousand more than SF + SDLP + Aontu, so not unfair that the biggest party, not just biggest Unionist party, won it.

FST shows what a difference there is between SF voters north and south of the border, as the previous SF MP for FST found to her cost when she moved south. Amazing the electorate there votes for someone who will not condemn the Omagh and Enniskillen bombings, so genuinely surprised at that. I'm sure there is a lot of hurt there.

I can see Reform unravel in the UK as they are full of contradictions and different expectations. Illustrated by the Reform Party itself backing Jim Allister while it's leader Farage backed Ian Paisley Jun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Farage backed Sammy Wilson over TUV's Matthew Warwick too.

It wasn't just a case of the Reform Party backing Jim, Reform and TUV had an official election pact and Farage still backed two DUP over them.

Farage will not be a competent politician or leader I fancy.

You really will dress up anything to make the bigots look better.

Who cares what the combination of votes are, it's FPTP and the seat is all that matters.

So it's infuriating that a bunch of contrarians decided to vote Aontú and not SF and let Flegory in. Aontú running was moronic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement