Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai ioniq 5 or VW ID 4.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If we're me I prefer the Skoda. Though the warranty on the Toyota is something to consider. I like the ID4 but man is there a litany of issues and all makes seem to have a problem with parts and repair availability. So that's not just a VW thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s a few around. I was searching for one for a cousin of mine for a taxi but the cost of them made no sense. Es-etcI ally compared to MY, ID4 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Yes but not around for the €35K budget that the OP has to spend. Most half decent used 80 models are €40K+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Lol - I've the exact same experience in reverse. Have an i5 which has been good so far (bar a sticky gear shift). A few recalls carried out during service (all s'ware related).

My neighbour on the otherhand had an ID4, and it was in and out of the garage so much that VW offered him the option to hand the keys back under warranty. He then used his refund to get an I5 which he loves.

l5 was 2022 models, ID4 a 2021 example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Yes, both cars appear to have problems but some people have been lucky, others haven't. Our ID4 has been fine. Just, the software isn't very good.

• Advertisement

Happens across the board (pardon the pun).
    Poster asked about a bmw or Audi in the main forum, the response was to buy a Passat or an Octavia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭allinthehead

When I started a thread about going EV and I was looking for suggestions, one poster suggested a diesel corrola🤣

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My reading of the situation is that with no pre conditioning at the time.

The ID4 wouldn't charge at more then 50 kw.

Hence a longer stop then the normal 35 mins or whatever.

Based on 77 kwh (and many VW ID products will show a bit less on carscanner even when new).

Then 50 kwh is equivalent to 64 percent of battery. And at 50 kw that's a 1 hour charge.

Bear in remind the return journey too.

An EV might do the benchmark Cork to Dublin journey with no stops....

BUT if its got 200 miles range then you need to add over 120 miles range somewhere.

120 miles is 60 percent of 200.

Plus buffers on top as no one literally wants to run it to zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Even at 50kw they aren't hitting a charger at 0%. So still less than you're estimating. Also you'd leave at 80% or earlier. Two short stops rather than one long one. Especially if you can't get full speed working on one charger.

I'm curious because I use ABRP to plan routes and also when ev window shopping to see how changing my EV changes my usual routes.

So when someone posts a story about charging is interesting to mirror it in ABRP. That app allows you to set how much charge you want remaining at the destination or planning return journeys. Or change the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 UnfortuateSon

Thanks all for you comments.

A few interesting points there especially about the preconditioning.

Does anyone have any recommendations for home charger installation companies?

Advertisement