Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,647 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ian Duncan Smith holds on but there's a bad split against him with a high Independent vote.

FPTP sucks as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Ahwell

6 Tory ministers have lost their seats so far and there is still around 80% of the vote to come. This is carnage.

Looks like Farage has won though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

yeah, farage won easily

• Registered Users Posts: 45,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

From The Guardian:

Penny Mordaunt, the Commons leader, will lose her seat to Labour, according to Conservative sources.

Mordaunt has been MP for Portsmouth North since 2010.

Falling on her sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As did Corbyn, that and IDS's seat are two more wins that Labour could have had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its hilarious watching the likes of Sky twist themselves in knots trying to discredit the Labour win by talking about vote share over and over.

It's also being pushed that the problem was Sunak's timing of the election as if this wouldn't have happened anyway.

Reece-Mogg gone.

Post edited by breezy1985 at

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

30p Lee Anderson got a seat boo.

Lots of other hideous people confirmed gone Rees-Mogg, Mercer,Gullis, keegan, Jenkyns, Mordaunt, Shapps, Coffey (but given a damehood…), Galloway.

More to come hopefully possibly Truss…

North Antrim...talk about frying pan into the fire…at least Paisley Jr can spend more time on his true love, accepting lavish holidays from dodgy regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If it is shown that postal voting was a problem for people, are we going to see a bunch of by-elections for people to vote that missed out on postal voting in close seats? I am thinking of seats like Fylde, won by less than 600 seats, would this not be over or will the parties just accept it and move on?

Fabricant gone too hurrah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most will accept. After Winchester in 1997 there is reluctance to challenge results after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's lovely news to wake up to, almost as good as seeing JRM gone.

I just saw that the Tories lost all their seats in Wales too. I wonder if the re-districting there, that saw Wales lose 8 MPs, was an additional factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Mogg, Gullis, Sunak, Mordaunt, Mercer, Harper and Shapps all gone but hate that Cleverly and Hunt held their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Liz Truss bunking her own count..?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Will Sunak be the opposition leader?

So many enjoyable results this a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The lettuce has wilted.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Truss is gone 😁

Truss gone doesn't even go on stage

Esther McVey held on...her husband didn't...what are the odds of that…

• Advertisement

Truss is the first former PM to lose their seat since 1906 I believe.

Greg Hands gone, had 11k majority. Lost by about 200.

Good overview on NI. Shame Naomi Long didn't make it.

Sinn Fein currently with more seats in NI than reform has across the UK

Reform looking like they will get....4 seats.

For the amount of coverage they get very very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see the news channels are going big on vote share, but its like they have not been around for 30 years. Blair won a majority in 2005 with 35% of the vote, and there was only 3 parties at that time. Now you are fragmented even more with Reform on the right of the Conservatives, the LibDems in the Centre, Labour to the left of them and then the Greens to the left of Labour.

I think someone needs to tell Sky News that this is not unique but a feature of FPTP, they seem to not realise it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Reform and the greens both getting 4 seats. I wonder which party leader will get a higher share of media interviews for the next 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭flazio

FPTP hides a story behind that. How many constituencies did they finish second ahead of the Tories?

Paisley Jr would have been the lesser of 2 evils versus the TUV leader so I'm kind of worried about what lies Jim Allister will be shouting in the Commons with Farrage cheering him on and of course no-one to correct the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Truss clearly lost because she didn't go on enough reactionary podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes, 15% vote share is not to be sniffed at. A victim of FPTP for sure but there is definitely notable support there.

Advertisement