Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Exit poll had Labour losing both Barnsley seats, 98% and 99% certainty, to Reform.

First of those two to declare, Labour 8k majority.

This exit poll appears to have overstated Reform (yes, the current constituencies are higher than the national % for them but that's geographical) and possibly the Tories.

Lee Anderthal re-elected for Reform. Big Independent vote means he's in with a small enough total poll.

He was a Labour councillor only about 5 years ago; he could easily have a fourth party by the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

With 5% of seats filled the Conservatives are at 20.5% of votes cast, Reform are at 20.8%

Labour hold both Barnsley

That Reform 13 has to be re-evaluated as less now.

Disproportionate number of declared seats are Northern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭hometruths

I think Grant Schapps is delivering his intended leadership bid speech.

Obviously written earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

BBC has updated its exit poll projection based on the counts completed so far. They are now projecting 4 for Reform, insteasd of 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

BBC are saying their swingometer's broke, going near 25 percent swing to Labour in some seats... (a swingometer thats totally virtual reality, and could go to over 9000 if needed......)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

this is my favourite picture so far.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

there’s no real point. With only one count it’s a simple matter to wait.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's so many tories I'm glad to see lose their seats but her and Rees Mogg are definitely up at the top.

Annoyed to see that Farage won a seat after all the racist crap that's come out about reform over the last few weeks. Plus it means that we'll have to listen to him over and over again for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its pretty mad that a party that wins about a third of the share of the vote can get 2 thirds of the seats.

Such an undemocratic system.

Instead of a labour landside, there really should be a coalition with Labour, Lib Dems and the Greens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ian Paisley Jr gone at the hands of Jim Alister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm surprised that we don't yet have our resident Farage superfan on here screaming to the rafters that their beloved Putin-fangirl has finally managed to become an MP. A backbench MP of a tiny protest party…but an MP nonetheless alas.

Makes me wonder what might become of GBNews now. With a Labour government they could keep the Gbeebies train chugging along with daily complaints about how those lefty marxists are somehow ruining a thing. But will enough people continue to watch with Farage gone?

That's also assuming that he gives up his rant talk show. As a sitting MP he can't really be doing that, although that said GBNews hasn't followed OFCOM rules all that much at all since its launch. Wouldn't be too surprised if he attempted to keep his show and be an MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

David Lammy regularly hosts shows on LBC so Farage will probably continue to host on GB news

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Whatever you say about RTE you can't slate them for poor election coverage over here. It's one of the things they do really well imo.

The UK election jams into 3 or 4 hours what takes us 3 or 4 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quite a staggering result. The polls were pretty right all along, it just seemed so different to what we had for years that many didn't believe them.

Much will be made of the vote share and the turnout, but that is the system they use so little point complaining about legitimacy or mandates. If people didn't bother to vote that is their problem, and if Labour maximised their seats using vote management then kudos to them.

Where were all these people complaining that Johnson won 80 seat majority off 40 odd % in 2019. And they used that to ram through an awful Brexit deal.

What a turnaround for Truss. Less than 2 years ago she became PM. She recently released a book saying she only had 10 years to save the West. On now she is no longer an MP. She genuinely had thoughts of becoming the leader of the Tories again. What now of her PopCon group?

Labour only got about 35% of the vote yet have a about a two thirds majority. Bizzare voting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Reform have a higher percentage of the votes the the Lib Dems (yet ~65 less seats)

That's the primary problem with First Past the Post, and you could say similar about the Tory win in 2019. Their landslide back then also only came from small percentage shifts in certain areas. It's why I don't take seriously any suggestion that Ireland should adopt a FPTP system.

The Irish system for example is far more proportionally representative, with the consquence that it does seem to result in coalition governments. The same would probably happen in the UK in such a system, with Labour & Lib Dems likely forming a coalition and the seat distrubution being very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well yes PR/STV is far more complex to count than FPtP however as you seem to have discovered its also far more representative, ill take a bit of a wait for actual democracy over a quicker turnaround any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Or another way of looking at it - labour have gone from a disastrous election to an historic victory by increasing their vote share from 32.2% to 33.9%.

This wasn't won by labour, it was lost by the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Starmer is going to end up with a lower percentage of the vote than Corbyn in 2017.

Oh absolutely, I was talking about rte purely from an Irish election coverage point of view. People were giving out about it earlier int he thread.

Clearly PR more representative.

Seems like Reform splitting the tory vote is really what got Labour in here. Corbyn's Labour actually got significantly more votes than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The UK continuing the trend of only having 1 Government elected by a majority of voters in the last 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

Could have been even one better but for less than 200 votes in East Derry.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fantastic news. I wish it had gone worse for the Conservatives but it's great to see them finally gone.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

My sentiment too, although I'm a little disappointed that the Lib Dems didn't overtake the Tories to become the Opposition. Only a little disappointed since that was a long shot anyway.

A bit concerned that Reform got so many votes overall despite their tiny amount of seats. I'm wondering if most of those votes were diluted out to all of the seats the Tories lost to other parties as the only alternative some Tory voters were willing to use. May indicate that there are still a good few ultra-nationalist types out there that are not all that bothered by the tone of Reform, or the character of their Putin-supporting leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A great night for Starmer. All he ever wanted was to be PM. Otherwise he's vacuous.

However the combined tory & reform vote exceeds Labour's vote with Reform finishing second behind Labour in many areas.

I wouldn't be surprised if Farage/Reform will now combine with the tories and will be their leader in a year to become leader of the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭mvt

The DUP being replaced by the TUV is a worrying sign of the potential problems ahead on this island.

Advertisement