Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Think they tended to come 2nd to Labour. Hopefully a CSV dataset will be released in the next few days so can find out for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Enzokk

On the numbers, since 2005 the largest party has always been around 33%-37%. The 2017 and 2019 elections are not representative as UKIP/Brexit Party did not stand in these elections or only in half the seats to hurt Labour in 2019 and you can see when Reform returned to contest the election the vote share went down again among the 2 largest parties.

If anything the results show that the UK should have proportional representation because there are way too many voters not having their vote count in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lots of the London constituencies had 10k swings to Greens. That wouldn't happen if it wasn't a nailed on Labour landslide. It's one of the many reasons vote share is pointless because people are just playing the game in front of them.

But now that it's Labour who benefits the media suddenly have a problem with FPtP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fptp is what it is, Labour played the game well, happy to see reform and the Tories scrap for a lot of the same vote. Farage as a constituency MP? Let's just say he won't be in Clacton much. I also don't know if he will enjoy the likely extra scrutiny on his finances.

Allister is worse than Paisley, I know that very well I am from that area, but great to see the back of Junior all the same. Will be awkward for Farage with Allister as he backed Paisley.

How much speaking time are Farage etc going to get with such small numbers, will anyone even be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah, but I'm not sure that it's the kind of support that he can sustain, much less build on. There's a fair history in the UK of third parties climbing to 12%+ of the vote and declaring that all is changed, changed utterly, only for the bubble to burst at the next election. As we can see, 12%+ of the vote gets you bugger all seats, and correspondingly little influence in Parliament, and next time round the voters who voted for you question the wisdom of voting for a party that has delivered so little.

I'm inclined to see the vote for Reform as largely a protest vote. It's a right-wing and/or alienated protest; those protesting from the a left-wing perspective will have voted Labour. But next time round right-leaning voters will be able to protest against the government, and to rather greater effect, by voting Tory. The Tories and Reform will be competing for the same space, but the Tories will be the official opposition with c. 130 MPs, at least some of whom are sane, and Reform will be a marginal party with 4 MPs, all bonkers. It's not a great position from which to build a famous victory.

The UK electoral system — which the Labour government will not for an instant consider changing — strongly entrenches two dominant parties, and freezes out all others. You can establish a permanent position for yourself as a minor party if you have a strong regional appeal (and nearly all parties that have managed this have been nationalist parties, one way or another) but moving from "established third party" status to one of the two dominant parties — jumping from 12/15% of the vote to over 25% — is next to impossible. It's happened just once in the two hundred years since the UK became a semi-democracy.

What Farage has achieved so far — which is quite a lot — he has achieved by influencing the Tory party to shift its position. I think it's actually going to be much harder for him to do that now that he and they are competing head-to-head in the opposition space; the Tories have a vested interest in differentiating themselves from the Faragists so they can exploit their much stronger institutional position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,175 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

One of the best news of the night

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/05/george-galloway-loses-rochdale-seat-labour-paul-waugh

George Galloway loses Rochdale seat to Labour’s Paul Waugh

Waugh began his victory speech by saying, with some apparent irony: “I’d like to thank George Galloway for his service.”

Haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Strong contender for the title of worst human being to be an MP in the past few years there.

Result is about right. I knew the Tories wouldn't be wiped out and that they'd be the second largest party. Reform UK, the Lib Dems and the Greens have clearly benefitted greatly.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Shoog

Despite the huge labour numbers it's clear from the result that it was the split opposition which produced that result. There was no surge in support for Labour who polled worse than last time. Starmer is what he is but popular is not one of his qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Christy42

FPTP is a weird one. On the one hand he is not better than Corbyn and had better timing. On the other a labour landslide was assured and so a lot of independent and green voters may have felt more comfortable value voting for their preferred candidate. They also seemed to have focused resources on less sure seats.

So it is hard to say if it would have turned out differently under a different voting scheme or a different set of circumstances.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just shows how utterly crazy FPTP is.

Nationally, Reform got 14.3% (just shy of 4.1M votes) of the vote which got them 4 seats , whilst the Lib Dems only got 12.2% of the vote (~3.5M votes) and won 71 seats!!!

That's just mental.

TBF - The Lib Dem seats total is probably the one that most closely reflects their vote share as 12.2% is ~79 seats so they only slightly under-achieved.

But Reform got less than 5% of the seats their vote share would suggest - 14.3% of the vote is ~93 seats.

Utterly lunatic system.

Don't get me wrong , I'm glad Reform only got 4 seats - 4 seats too many if you ask me , but the numbers just show how awful the electoral system is.

• Advertisement

They polled worse because the massive London and urban majorities felt comfortable voting for smaller parties.

Corbyn was way more popular but with a smaller cohort. Ide love to use this as a big fuk you to the anti Corbyn crowd but it just isn't.

I think it would have been much worse for labour under any other voting system. People voted to get the Tories out and any grouping of parties could have achieved that. There was no great love for the Labour offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

its also weird that each constituency only elects one MP

I hope Ian Paisley is squirming in his grave this morning

It's impossible to compare what would happen in a different system because people would vote in a very different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,175 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im delighted to see the Lib Dems doing well.

Ed Davey played a blinder

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's always the way. The centre left and left always have to battle against the media and the status quo.

Just see the North where some more sensible discussions between the SDLP, SF and Alliance in more than East Belfast, could have seen the TUV and the DUP worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Disappointing Streeting hung on, but hopefully he had a bit of a squeaky bum.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Labour's vote in England is unchanged from the 2019 result where they got less than half the seats they're going to get in 2024. That's fairly astonishing.

The reality is that Farage delivered Starmer to Number 10 as many 2019 tory voters moved to vote for Reform. Exactly as I predicted would happen at the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interestingly, a not insignificant amount of the supposed 'Red Wall' are very right wing in fact : voted for Johnson's Tories in 2019 and now Farage's Reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spent 5 weeks cavorting round like he was on a stag do, and weirdly it worked!

• Advertisement

Been a racist bigot isn't location specific - there is no clustering of racists. Reform would have done nearly as badly under PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭rock22

Unbelievable on BBC now. Llaura kuenssberg giving an eulogy on the Conservatives and explaining that they were unable to explain their great success in government because Hunt spent his time in his own constituency.

It is hard to see how she can remain as an independent journalist at the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Agree that the split vote has been what's driven the landslide win but I also think the fact that the vote share hasn't grown much is actually a really big opportunity for Labour.

Starmer seems like the good sort. I think he will be really sensible and make sensible policy decisions. If he can get modest wins with the boat crossings the channel and waiting lists in the NHS then he can potentially really solidify his case for another term beyond this one. I think the protest vote can be brought on board relatively easily.

kuenssberg lost all credibility 5 years ago. I wonder if the BBC will regret turning itself into a Tory lapdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,175 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The most satisfying result of the night (as in unexpected), for me, was Leicester South where the Shadow cabinet member Ashworth was unseated by an independent standing against genocide

As for the SNP, it was galling to see the architect of the downfall being paid thousands by ITV to provide her deflections live on air

It actually is though. Some areas are clusters of racists.

Usually areas full of white people who are perennially unexpected complaining about nonexistent foreigners stealing the nonexistent jobs.

It's not random either. Pretty.uch all these spots are post mining/industrial urban areas (but not the major cities) or seaside areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ian Hislop made the point that Starmer's cough might be softened re. voting reform or reducing the voting age, when he reviews the demographics; clearly while the breakdown of the result demonstrates the need to scrap FPTP, in Labour's case it'll be a case of Turkeys voting for Christmas. And unfortunately I think he's right: watch both these points drift into the ether.

Equally on LBC Andrew Marr made the point that with Farage having the chance to be a noisy malcontent in the HoC, any attempted drift towards legislative alignment with the EU is gonna get a very vocal pushback, emboldened by the fact Reform was the #2 vote in many constituencies.

I have wondered though, purely as a bit of hopelessly optimistic speculation that being in the HoC Farage might get less airtime than when he was a free citizen, able to glom the media narrative. Gathering dust at the back of Westminister mightn't be the same as when he could basically dictate things from the streets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Perhaps , but under PR the Tory and Reform votes would have transferred between each other resulting in probably the Tories winning a lot more seats overall.

Collectively Tory/Reform got ~38% of the vote , Labour/Lib-Dems got ~46% so under PR you'd probably have ended up with a Labour/Lib-Dem coalition with a fairly solid majority rather than what you have now.

But it's all irrelevant , the system is the system.

The big question now is how do the Tories fend off the Reform party over the next 5 years before the next Election?

Do they swing even further right to win back Reform voters or do they go the other way to target Labour & Lib Dem voters?

A lot will depend on which way they go with a new leader .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kuenssberg looks like she wants to chin someone

• Advertisement

I bet they drift to the right, their remaining membership will not tolerate much else and they only have a hard right rump to draw on to rebuild the party. Listening to Nadian Dorris is a window on what the remaining Tory party thinks and there is no sensible wing to draw them back to the centre. They will be drubbed a few more times before they attempt a move back to the centre and by that point it maybe to late.

Advertisement