Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Sorbet

Sorry to hear that. Coincidentally there was just released an excellent No Laying Up podcast on the topic this week. While it won’t be the fix I suspect it will give you some hope/make you feel a bit better about it passing.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭IrishOwl...

🤣🤣 2 or 3 of my mates sent me the link to it as soon as it was released. It was interesting to be fair, listening to the Pro's talk about them and how scared they're to mention the dreaded word!!! One thing that struck me was, both Scottie and Tiger spoke about how they laughed when they hit their shanks, however to them, it was crucial not to hit 2 in a row as that could cause real physiological damage.

I found that funny, like how good and pure these guys hit the ball, shanks are a 1 in a million shot for them, yet they still stress about the possibility of hitting 2 in a row if they hit 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭REFLINE1

i listened to it during the week, to be honest i was kind of afraid to keep listening, felt like it was planting the seeds deep in my brain somewhere that might come back to haunt me 😲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭bmc58

I understand your pain.Been there.Was a very good 12/13 h/c with a great short game.Suddently out of nowhere I started shanking short chips.Was a laugh in the begining for my long time playing partners ,but not for me.Gave up golf about a year later.Still miss the golf but not the embarassment of shanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scotty_golf9

looking to get fit for new irons but im not going anywhere, where its hitting into a simulator. I no carton house have a range but is there anywhere else that are good ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

McGuirks in Kinsealy is hitting out into a range.

Same for Foregolf.

You're hitting off a mat in both though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah lad don't give up, hit the range, get lessons.

Don't let it embarrass you, it's just a bad shot nothing more. Try to block it out, think positively.

minor treak in setup could make all the difference and you'll be back playing the game you love.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

best golf podcasts on spotify ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Depends what type you like, my favourites would be Golf Weekly, The Chipping Forecast and Rick Shiels podcast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

yea i do watch the rick shiels podcast on youtube. Love listening to it to be fair. Ill give the others a listen, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Just looking back at my scores over the last few years..

Double bogeys… The last time i went double free was October 2021… Even when i managed to break 80 a few times the doubles were there.

Mad How easily i could score better by just improving this stat…😆

They do say its the biggest difference between a scratch and a 10 handicap.

Birdies isn't a big difference maker, it's doubles and worse.

Scratch average 2.2 birdies per round, but only 0.7 doubles or worse

10 average 0.7 birdies per round, but 2.9 doubles or worse.

So 1.5 shots per round gained vs par for birdies.

Simplifying it to just be a double, 0.7 doubles is 1.4 shots vs par. 2.9 doubles is 5.8 shots vs par.

So 4.4 shots shots lost on doubles vs 1.5 shots lost vs birdies

Will have to start tracking my rounds again.

I need to identify which proportion of shots is the main culprit.

I suspect off the tee , but i seem to be messing up more with approach from the fairway/1st cut a lot lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Biggest gain in golf is to not lose a ball, that's two shots gone that at our level we can never get back

Yes, avoiding penalties is absolutely critical.

Was more making the point that amateurs think that low guys are making piles of birdies, when they're not actually, they just avoid the bit numbers much better

That’s pretty much it. I’ve played golf as low as 6.2 and anytime I played with someone I didn’t know, they’re expecting me to be this great ball striker when they found out I was playing off 6. They were all left disappointed 🤣!

As I was not a fantastic ball striker, but I could get a driver on average 200-220 yards and most importantly I kept it in play! From there I just focused on getting something close to the green and try get up and down. Chipping was by a million miles the best part of my game. Sometimes obviously I would get something on the green and sink the odd birdy, but that’s not why I was single digit golfer.

Your average weekend amateur golfers like us will never get consistent good scores until we learn to keep the ball alive at all costs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Whats strange about this is a lot of the reasons some golfers remain stuck on a handicap is what I see as a misguided approach to the game and how they can lower scores. As others have said, birdies aren't the route to lower scores, its avoiding doubles and worse. Yet every weekend you'll see players of all levels get frustrated or annoyed that they didn't birdie a hole from 100 yards out. There is another element to this as well though which is that a lot of golfers are just turning up to play a round and aren't that interested or dedicated to getting better so its not that surprising that they are both surprised at how 'good' a single digit player is while at the same time making decisions and mistakes that single digit players don't make but can't make the connection between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

At my club I know who the single digit golfers are, a few of them playing between +1 and 2/3. When the HowdidIdo scores come out from the weekends comp I always check to see how these guys get on as they would regularly be shooting 32+ points each game. I'd say between about the 4/5 of these lads I check out, the average amount of birdies per round would be at best 3 but very rarely have double bogies on their cards.

• Advertisement

I know, I have played with so many guys and if they haven’t had a sniff at a birdie putt within the first 6 maybe 7 holes they’re immediately frustrated and mentally beginning to give up on the round. And these lads would be 14, maybe 15 handicappers, good weekend golfers obviously but the mentality that you should be seeing birdie chances every few holes is madness. The whole, I messed up on that last whole so I going to take out my frustration and murder this next drive mentality comes in.

I think a lot of it comes from watching too much PGA tour at the weekend and watching too much golf YouTubers who seemed to have a birdie putt on every hole. None of that is reality to us weekend amateurs

Played Lough erne last week and funny comment from one of my playing partners..

''If you finished the hole with the same ball you started it with, jesus you'd of had some score''😆

How true…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah the murder the driver thing is a common error as well, compounding mistakes is easy to do and i can usually trace back my big numbers to compounding a mistake with another mistake, turning a bogey into a double or triple. Its not easy stay disciplined though and I struggle with it myself even though I know i'm making a bad decision nearly as i hit the ball. Can't get out of our own way sometimes but thats the game I suppose.

Definitely watching on TV is misleading, you usually only see the great shots outside of the sunday evening finish that most people would watch, the stats on datagolf or the tour website would give a much better idea of the standards but then who's bothered looking that stuff up on a sunday evening.

I heard a good one from Harrington (think it was on the NLU podcast), but he claimed he only averages about 7 good shots a round. The rest is just course navigation and making sure his inevitable bad shots are not going to put him in trouble. Now obviously the majority of Harringtons bad shots are going to better than the majority of our great shots, but that's not the point, its the mentality. The amount of times I've watched guys slightly push or slice their drives and it may end up 170 odd yards infront of them, in the rough, and they're lived that they didn't hit their high draw or whatever.

I'm like that's a great result, you hit a poor shot and you're still alive with a change of getting near the green. Its all about mentality. I'm going through the worst golf of my life at the minute, I've a dose of the dreaded shanks, but I know deep down its a mentality problem. Obviously not striking the ball like a tour pro is a factor too, but for my level and where I can get too, its all in my head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's also simple thinking, I play a lot with "high" handicappers and I see them killing their score….iffy or bad tee shot, maybe hooked or knocked down so not that far off the tee and in the rough, they take a 3 wood out and end up all the way along the rough to the hole and this is with probably two shots on the hole.

I just shake my head as all I'd be doing it taking a wedge or 9 iron to get it back on the fairway, 3 wood from rough is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

NotAScratchGolfer on Youtube always talks about never following a bad shot with a stupid shot, which is probably a good way to put it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If your ball is in the general area, and you strike your ball during a practice swing, is this always a penalty stroke and replace the ball (tee box / green aside)?

Scenario: ball is in the trees and needs to be punched out. Ball is struck during a practice swing that does indeed punch it out, but not as well as if it was hit properly. In this scenario are you supposed to replace the ball and try again with a penalty stroke applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭zocklie

Yep, in general area its a penalty stroke and replayed from the same spot.

I’m curious to the reasoning behind this particular rule. I’m struggling to see how you can gain an unfair advantage from accidentally hitting the ball?

Anyone know?

If you make a practice swing and make contact you can replace without penalty in the teeing area (rule 6.2b(5))

Example of Zach Johnson

If you make a practice swing and make contact you can replace without penalty on the putting green (rule 9.4b exception 3)

Matt Wolff doing it

Unfortunately, in the general area it is a 1 stroke penalty, yes, under rule 9.4b (aside from the exceptions listed in the rule)

Quick explainer

And a pro doing it for the full set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

Just stroke and distance rule.Tee area and Green are treated different.S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus I completely forgot about Matt Wolff until I saw his name in that video above

Handicap question. Golf Ireland says my WHS Index is the average of my 8 best score differentials in my last 20 rounds. Source is point 1 here: https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/play_golf/whs%20quick%20reference%20guide%20-%20may%202024.pdf

But I've done this calculation and my actual WHS Index is lower than this average. I'm curious what I'm missing here, is there some other factor applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

exceptional score reduction?

doubt it.

Actually realised 7 of my 8 are 9 hole scores, does that make a difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Your club can make a manual handicap adjustment as well if you play consistently good golf iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭paulos53

Is your Low Index 3 or more shots lower than your Handicap Index?

Low index = the lowest my WHS index has been this year?

If so yes. Does that affect it?

We're friends on GI. I just checked your scores and the calc matches exactly to your index.

You don't need to worry about 9 hole scores, the system converts to an 18 hole differential for them

You just added the 8 differentials up and divided by 8 ?

Am I just really bad at math?? I get a different number.

Sorry you're right. Let me take a look again, got same digits, but in a different order 😆

• Advertisement

yea exactly as I get. My WHS is 1.8 lower than the average differential that I calculate.

I'm not sure at what point the hard/soft caps start getting applied, but it's likely that you hit one or both of those at some point so you are not getting the full adjustment

It gets applied if you're more than 3 higher for the soft cap than your low index. But I'm not sure if its applicable when your building up to the full 20 rounds or if your low index is applied from round 1

what is the soft cap that’s applied out of curiosity? Is the adjustment reduced by a certain percentage?

Yes, once you're 3 strokes higher than your low index, every subsequent increase is reduced by 50% until you reach a max of 5 above your low index (think its a rolling level for a year).

Looking at your record it does look like you would have hit it. It looks like you're currently 4.8 above your low index, so just under the hard cap, so you must be getting the 50% reduced increases.

I think it might work the same going back down till you reach the soft cap again

Ah. But I’ve already went more than 5 over my low index this year? I think at one stage I was more than 7 over it.

I'm not 100% on that, but my suspicion is that it's because you didn't have a fully formed 20 round handicap.

Your first round with an index listed is your low index currently. All of your rounds with an index more than 5 higher than that are less than 20 rounds from that point.

If you count your low index as the first round then within 20 rounds of that you're back within 5 of it

Ah, that makes sense. Wish the GI app explained this a bit clearer, it should really call out if you're being hit with caps etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My golf is so bad this year I’ve hit the soft cap already and only played 6 counting rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭coillcam

The developers can easily make this change, marked in red "soft cap in effect" would be very helpful to golfers and handicap committees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes club can make reduction or exceptional score. But what happens is your previous 20 rounds are adjusted. So if you are looking the day after the adjustments have been made, all your score differentials would be 1 shot lower (if it was a 1 shot cut). Therefore looking at the scores would still add up so this will s not the reason.

if you log into the golf Ireland website as opposed to the app, it displays your low index. It doesn’t show it in the app. The app is actually missing a fair bit ☹️

Advertisement