Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I always go to hurling matches and I never mind getting beaten unless we’re robbed by the ref for example and usually it’s because the other team is better simple as and I don’t have a problem with that. On Saturday what went on was shocking and if you knew the full story you wouldn’t be too happy either. And as for the smart remarks made against me for being passionate about the game and my county I don’t think those remarks were appropriate.If you are willing to accept what went on Saturday then you shouldn’t be following Kilkenny hurling. Do you go to many matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s just interesting that you really did stick it to the management badly early in the season, but on the run to the final then you stayed silent. They lost the final then and you came out of the woodworks slating them. Classy stuff.

They got to a final so it has to be commended. There’s no denying the final for KK was a sickener.

did you you follow the minor team this year , if the answer is yes we can talk later. Why do you not believe me when I tell you I have no links whatsoever with the minor team and that is the truth.will you be truthful answering my questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I said in a post a few months ago where you mentioned the angry parents etc. it’s just obvious.

I don’t need to follow the team but I know it’s a results based game and they got themselves to the final which was the first time KK did since 2020.

KK haven’t won it since 2014 so that expectation personally wouldn’t have been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"As I alluded to earlier the management team volunteered for the job, I didn’t"

Sorry marooned but the problem here is that when other people have criticized management at other levels you have repeatedly replied to them that they should manage the team if they're so knowledgeable etc etc. So this line of attack comes across as a bit hypocritical in that context, regardless whether your criticisms are valid or not, because you silenced valid criticism yourself this way earlier.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure people saying marooned was on about families of players being unhappy etc earlier in the year are mixing him up with another poster who was very clearly just whining because their little Johnny wasn't getting a match. Don't see marooned being that kind of gowl

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

With Shefflin gone from the Galway job, I wonder would he be the right man to take a, on paper, talented U20 team and help and try and show that maybe it was more the Galway player's problems than his that they under performed the last couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Didn't think he's done anything to warrant being entrusted with that job. Tom Mullally is a much more obvious candidate, if he wanted it. Shefflin had a very, very poor run with Galway and it wasn't all on the players, he made odd managerial decisions, failed to bring in young players, was tactically naive, and left them in a worse situation than he got them, having abandoned ship to do it. He needs to prove himself all over again, imo.

saying anything here would only bring players names into it so you’ll understand why I will refrain from doing this.i am of an age that I certainly wouldn’t have kids of that age they could probably play for the Kilkenny masters if it was revived.

Is that supposed to be Lacey.anyway you are way off , but I know who you are.

• Advertisement

could you come with the quote that I was supposed to have made a while back and be very careful posts 666 the number of the beast. Anyway you should be able to guess my age from previous posts How many times did I quote “Kelly’s heroes” and I saw that in the Regent cinema.

well callaway92 any sign of that phantom post of mine or do you want to issue the apology now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Box to box

Lads, no point getting carried away here anyway it's only a bit of gallery.Marrooned to be fair has a fair handle on the underage in kk. I wouldn’t be as well up on the u17. He has every right to be livid over the u20 and u17. When will we get 2 home finals at home again? The u20 was nearly arrogance not changing players who weren't suitable and playing lads or weren't hurling well. The u17 the management got it wrong and had plenty of time to rectify it.They are rightly getting criticised for their performance. Bringing back on players who were taken off rarely works and lads on the subs will be scratching their heads. The blame in a lot of this is the county board. See jarlth burns last Saturday night in a suit and our chairman wearing runners. We all know why our better managers are going to different counties because kk are mean out.They throw in what's handy. Managers getting another year if they want it. The facts are we are 10 years without senior and minor and u20 has being scandalous a long time. Last year it was drennan not allowed play but what went on this year below in carlow was nothing short of disgraceful. And for luck the other 2 were stopped from coming on. How was this allowed to happen and what repercussions were they?Marrooned has every right to be pissed off over home advantage against offaly and what a **** show the underage in kk is ran at. We wonder then how we cant win a final.How much longer can it really go on? The match Saturday why haven't they really got behind the team and try encourage people to go? Work with clubs and do a deal get busses and fill them with kids and parents. They are years behind other counties it's terrible.

thank you so much for your support it is greatly appreciated and I’m glad someone has a bit of passion for the game that’s falling apart in this county before our eyes. The members of the county board have to stand up to the upper echelons and make sweeping changes.

They won't though that's the thing. Do you think they will have every other county envious of our next u20 management next year? If they could they would leave the same people over them because its handy. Yes men is all they are. They have ignored poor results for a long time now. look what offally have done with duignan and what can be done.Cork are getting things together. We definitely arent improving but the narrative every year is ah we were only bet by x amount of points and they won the final . Kk standards have dropped massively. Failure wasnt accepted years ago. The carry on that went on in carlow they should of being ran out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sir Chaz

I just think some people are getting very excited over what was a freak occasion last Saturday evening. Similar happened to Tipp in the semi final against a team Kilkenny wiped off the field twice. Tipp shouldn't have even been in the final had the Galway free taker not missed the last free.
    The point is that it's notoriously difficult not to drop your guard when the other team goes down a man. It happened to Tipp in the semi, and happened to us in the final. I believe we'd have won the game had the 2nd red not happened. That seems counter intuitive, but playing against 13 seemed to only further compound the teams sense of complacency. Our intensity dropped and we allowed Tipp to play a possession game they should never have been able to. Yes you can absolutely point at management for their failure to deal tactically with the advantage, but it's my belief the main reason was the inevitable drop in intensity from a group of young fellas that happened due to the circumstances of the game. Remember we still had more than enough chances to win the final, but made too many poor decisions on the field including poor shooting, and a little bit of selfishness here and there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the boys for that, panic clearly set in and we stopped doing what we normally would. The sense of dread in the crowd was palpable and I have no doubt the chaps on the field felt that on an even bigger scale and it clearly affected them, and indeed management. There were some inexplicable decisions taken by players in the 2nd half in particular. As other posters said, they are young boys, I heard 3 15 year olds started, and 7 other U16's played a part. They'll have better days.

It was an absolute gut wrenching defeat and I do understand the passion and disappointment of the likes of Marooned, but it's easy to wipe away the wins against Galway, Dublin, and Clare, because of what I genuinely believe was a freak set of circumstances last Saturday. Selection is always controversial, and I can certainly see the arguments for different changes last week that took place on the day, as well as perhaps some arguable selections over the past few games. But you're always going to have that. Fact is the team was winning so in that context it can be difficult to change. Had they changed the 15 for the final and the same thing happened, we'd be pointing at the fact they changed a combination that had won 4 times on the trot.

I would ability agree that the underage system has been very poor in Kilkenny over the past few years and has clearly been neglected. You only have to look at the main officers of Bord na nÓg. Incompetence at every turn. You would hope the appointment of Michael Fennelly will address some of this, helped by the investment by Terry Clune.

I'd again go back to the fact that we will get plenty players off this team, and that's a good thing and in fairness is the main reason for these underage grades. But yes the defeat was as bad as it gets, and it'll be raw for a while to come yet.

A very good post to be fair. I agree with most of it but we should of won that match simple as that. The same as the u20 it was woe full on the managements behalf. There was plenty of people here 6 months saying that they simply can't pick certain players in positions and they did and it completely backfired,whatever about the year before but for the very same thing to happen the following year. Saturday was a freak and the u20 was very unlucky. When are we going to stop making excuses and look in the mirror? This is 10 years now and counting. The best managers and coaches aren't involved. Would Brian dowling not be good enough together the u20? Why isn't Tom mullally involved at some level?eddie brennan and Richie power are training 2 club teams in different counties.Gortha and mark aylward were well got at u19. As far as I can see they will just pick the easy appointment that suits. A kick in the hole alot of them need in the county board need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree with what a lot of said above. But I have highlighted some of these points before and got slated here especially by Marooned.

As for the minor Tipperary were a much better team than Kilkenny, from a purely hurling perspective. The skill levels of the backs, the composure on the ball by a lot of the players under pressure and with little space was outstanding, the half forward line destroyed Kilkennys half back line. Tipp missed as many chances as Kilkenny during the match. There is talk on here Kilkenny would have won if this or that happened, they didn't , the better team with better hurlers won on the night. An outstanding underage team. Some posts here are highlighting that Galway had a chance to beat them, but Kilkenny lost to Wexford and Dublin and Kildare had them on the ropes, that is underage hurling for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Fair points but one point stands out to me. You said "3 15 year olds started, and 7 other U16's played a part" as if it is a mitigating factor in any criticism of the management. In my view this is a very large indictment of the management team. One or two exceptional U16s in a minor team would be nothing unusual but 10 U16s in a county with such strong club minor hurling as Kilkenny smells of something very wrong with the selection process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

Team as expected. Best of luck to the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I 100% agree that his time with Galway has, to put it nicely, not gone the best but in his defence he did win 2 club AI's with Shamrocks and I'd imagine that's probably in itself a better record than most managers are coming into minor/U20 positions. I'm not saying he should get the job either just throwing it out there to see what the appetite would be for him to get involved with one of the teams. I'd agree with you Mullaly has done a great job with Carlow and if he was to leave that role he'd be a really good option also!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

No sign of Drennan at all.

He's after falling back a fair but since the league last year.

Henry would be an unbelievable appointment for the minors or u20s. Absolute no brainer. His time didn't work out great in Galway, he has had a tough few years personally, id imagine he will do a bit with the Shamrocks underage now he has time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭kksaints

I would have liked him on the bench as the replacement free taker in case of anything happening to TJ. He needs a good league next season if he's on the panel but I do think there's still plenty of time for him, Clifford and Shine to become regulars.

Drennan needs to put in a good shift with his club this year., he might not be on the senior panel is a year or two. Killian Doyle not even on the bench, Derek Lyng is making some f*** of him. Clifford does not have the hurling for top level imo. This is probably TJ's last year, he is 38 in 2025. We need to get another free taker in there

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I think Drennan is having bother with the club as well, he just seems lazy and no work rate.

He could be a superstar if he worked in it, hurling with galmoy probably doesn't help.

Is he still hurling with the colleges or is he finished?

yeh very possibly and I can think of 2 or 3 U17's who would have been an advantage on Saturday, including 1 or 2 who weren't on the 24. As I said tho, you can argue about the rights and wrongs of selection but the team they picked had performed well in the run to the final, they'd have been slaughtered had they made changes and lost the final in the same circumstances, which I'd argue was probably the likely outcome whatever the personnel.

in response to the idea that this was just a far better Tipp minor team, I don't believe that for a second, but I certainly believe that due to the circumstances Tipp were able to hurl with a freedom and an abandon that Kilkenny couldn't. The pressure on the KK lads was absolutely enormous after the 2nd red. Home venue, raucous crowd and abusive Tipp sideline. We went into our shells whereas Tipp flourished, it was just one of those things. 

I think the quality of players on both panels will be proven in time.

1st Time we've had everyone available this year for the game tomorrow. Unusual to see Drennan gone all of a sudden when they've kept faith with him for so long, but hard to argue with it. Has Heery been injured or just flying in training? First time he's made the bench this year? Think I heard Hogan saying on Dalys podcast that he had been carrying an injury.

looking forward to both games. Kilkenny/Cork final, you heard it here first 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Regarding the 20s I think there were definetly mistakes made with choosing half back line and the county board with doyle and giving up home advantage we missed a penalty and hit crossbar and lost by 2 pints maybe I think if doyle was there he would have chipped in with at least one point and playing at home would have given us another score able chance or 2 most likely

The best way to describe the minor loss is panic from the players and management

We hit over 20 wides and should have won

I think it’s been talked about similarly to 2010 from a tipp perspective because when you look at it since 2019 they have had **** all to shout about

Woodlock is a lucky general for me last minute goal in 2022 all Ireland and watching the kk game I don’t think as many of there players will go on to play senior as people think it was a very bizarre set of circumstances

6 years is a long time in a young persons life

They have a few nice players but it was the collective effort that won it for them I don’t think if they all hurled together again they would put in half the performance it was a one off for me

Like if you compare tipps 2 all Ireland minor winning teams to say Offalys crops from 2022 and the 20s from this year there a much better group of players I think

Offaly handled tipp quite easily in the u20 final this year we were within 2 pints of them

We seem to have a good record of developing players from the club seen up to an inter county standard molloy wall deegan Lawlor t Phelan even m butler s Murphy weren’t big underage stars they didn’t even win a lot at underage if anything so we should get a few stars of the future of this years minor team

B drennan reminds me of k Kelly years ago loads of Talent and still very young but you getting the feeling unless the penny drops soon about what’s required at inter county level the ship might sail

Advertisement