Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Late Noods Era Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Very slow move towards RTÉ KIDS if it ever happens on screen.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

It is a broadcast radio station, lets not let RTÉ forget that. I don't think it is on Astra, Just Saorview and Virgin Media.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

Haven't seen Gold on sat, only the 4 main ones but it is on the net, TuneIn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oh, I know that. I listen to it regularly. I thought you meant they had a GOLD TV channel somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭deezell

My bad, you're correct of course. I'm so long looking at my ageing sat box EPG list that I forget the non FM broadcast radio channels are coming from Saorview, only the broadcast big 4 from Astra (1,2,TnaG, Lyric). it's not ideal, but if you have a TV in the kitchen and you're watching RTE from an aerial, then you can listen to the extra radio channels on the TV, their logo pops up on the screen, and its not dependent on Internet connection. Not everyone has alexa or other streaming sources and devices, or Internet even other than on a phone, maybe.

Post edited by deezell on

No I was just saying that RTÉ NEWS could cross promote some programming from GOLD.

Where GOLD might have a piece looking back at some NEWS and CA from the past, the NEWS channel could broadcast it in vision. Even some entertainment stories etc etc.

______

Yesterday

Damn, tried to watch the England match on RTE 2, but all I could see was Static, so I went to the Laptop and fired up RTE Player, but my Laptop kept going into sleep mode due to Inactivity! 😁

I fell asleep myself then. Wake me when its over. 🇬🇧 ⚽️ 😴

Have you seen the weather forecast for the Wee Twelfth tomorrow? 🇮🇪😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RAKM

Does anyone know why Mrs Browns Boys was shown on Wed instead of Harry Wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And it was Christmas episode of Mrs Browns Boys as well.

as part of RTÉ new direction at least one episode of every drama will be postponed by a year

it will then be replace by a drama that was postponed from last year

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

It could have been because England were playing on RTE2.

😂 In case anyone interested in the England game might miss an episode of Harry Wilde? Just as bad an excuse, as the one I came up with, perhaps more realistic all the same. All eps are now available on the RTÉ Player.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AJB39

Harry Wild was not shown last week as the scheduled episode featured a killer with a crossbow. Following the triple murder in the UK with a crossbow it was decided to postpone the episode. It will be shown next Wednesday instead.

It strange that they didn't just move to the next episode, all episodes are available on the player. To they intend to ever broadcast that episode?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AJB39

Last weeks episode is due to be broadcast tonight.

It says in the post you quoted that it's being broadcast tonight.

Thanks, I should finish reading! , but why not swap the episodes around, I doubt this show has arc's that would cause confusion with the audience. I have never watch but the eps look like stand alone episodes.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I see that RTE1 have begun showing Grantchester from the start (series 1) recently on a Wednesday night.

Last shown on Virgin Media in February this year, whom showed seasons 3-7, and UTV Ireland showed season 1-2.

Maybe a programme part of a wider production package that they've recently purchased, but is it really worth it considering the show has already aired in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Some ruffled feathers in NI over problems with broadcasting rights related to the Olympic games, led to RTE news programmes being geo-blocked if they had games coverage in them. RTE has RoI only rights which caused this issue.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0725/1461783-rte-news-ni-broadcast/

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4ng9x95zz8o

Feathers are easily ruffled up there on both ends of the Tricolour. I note on the news the defacing of roadside banners erected in support of Armagh's adventure to Croke Park by Loyalists, who seem to have manufactured a 'No Surrender' stencil especially for the purpose of mass graffiti production. How sad it must be for the descendents of those historical zealots, who can't come to terms with their self imposed colonial identity, unable to be any kind of 'Irish' while being a dozen generations in the land. The extreme irony is that most of the county population supporting their team will be dressed in... Orange, the County colours, and all manufactured locally in Armagh by McKeever sport (who are kitting out our Olympians).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nothing in that post about television, Deezell, there’s a politics forum elsewhere on Boards where you can talk about stuff like that.

Just to say also we had a separate thread on the RTE News blocking issue which is now resolved - it barely lasted 24 hours before a resolution was reached.

Geoblocking is technically self imposed, by RTE, for fear of a rights action by BBC. The news reports on this were lacking in detail and were a bit politically partisan, as if the (B for British) BBC were blocking the broadcasts, when in reality they probably couldn't give a shyte. BBC iplayer is geo-blocked here for that very same reason. Heres an irony, the BBC news article in the link didn't show on my phone, as the BBC website is very fussy about access from anonymous DNS servers, which I had turned on, on my phone in order to see iPlayer. I have to turn it off to the read BBC news website articles.

Apologies over the political diatribe, there always seems to be a political angle to any news from the North that involves the GAA, now it's the Olympics.

if theres any more to be said on the blocking (and that specifically) can we please use the dedicated thread (it is probably in the wrong forum, but I’m guessing satellite is how the majority of NI viewers watch RTE).

And on a television matter, why on earth did RTE only show the Ireland Rugby 7s matches. They were on all day, compulsive viewing, short and sweet. Did they not have the rights to these? Or was it too much trouble to push them to the News now channel. Has the Olympics rights become selective? Or pay per broadcast, It wouldn't surprise me.

A couple of answers on that one:

A) They did have the rights and could have. The BBC have a similar deal to RTE and showed it all on their Red Button channel.

B) They may not have wanted to interrupt the schedule (I’m not sure why, they were showing their usual diet of kids and repeats).

C) Yes the Olympic rights have become more restrictive. Basically, since 2018, Warner Bros Discovery has become the primary Irish rights holder for the Games, and RTE has rights on a sub license deal and is restricted both in the number of hours it can show and the number of channels it can show them on. None of that would have stopped them showing all the sevens but they’d have to make up the hours somewhere else. The BBC have a similar sub license deal with WBD. Eurosport and Discovery+ are not under any such restrictions and can show what they want and on how many channels to their hearts content.

I think Discovery will only give a certain number of hours to each broadcaster.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly right. Here’s the presser for the next deal but I’m given to understand the current one is basically the same.

https://about.rte.ie/2023/01/16/rte-secures-broadcast-rights-for-olympic-games-from-2024-until-2032/

Advertisement