Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭Penn

(deleted)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Cordell

If anyone cares, I have a S+D build and I was using the Blasphemous blade skill attack while letting mimic have it, there was no way to get any significant close range melee hits without getting killed, especially in the second phase. So talismans for protection against physical and nonphysical, ranged skill attacks which also heal, (maybe*) physic before entering to be able to summon mimic without getting killed and a bit of git gud during 2 hours of trying and probably also a bit of luck. I know this isn't the ideal build and equipment, but this is how I played for the most of the DLC and I wasn't feeling like changing or respec'ing.

*sometimes I used it before the fog, sometimes just before second phase, I don't remember which one was this.

I used Backhand Blades with scarlet rot grease, talismans were Dragoncrest Greatshield, Pearldrake Talisman +3, Crimsonseed Talisman (the new one that give more HP when you use the flask) and Alexander's Jar Shard. Can't remember exactly what I had in the physick flask as I was still trying different things every few runs. But my win was more down to luck than anything, just had a lucky run of the boss mostly using the attack combo that I was pretty decent at avoiding, Mimic drawing aggro at the right times and being grabbed once which allowed me to heal and re-buff, and just pure dumb luck.

It wasn't the build I normally use and I had tried a few different things. I really tried sticking with the Wing of Astel at the start but just couldn't get a decent amount of time to hit the Nebula skill, and he moves around so much in Phase 2 that it was pointless trying.

Alexander's Jar Shard sounds like something that might have been useful, but I don't have it, I only remember Alexander the jar being stuck and me giving him a kick to get unstuck but nothing else.

Luck certainly played its part, but I also have to claim that I git gud, because I did :) I stuck with my equipment and stats and learned when taker's flame work and when it doesn't, and I learned how to roll the initial attack getting it right maybe 1/2 times. I got it consistently down to less than 1/5 of its health and maybe luck helped with the rest.

Alexander shows up in a few different spots after, and then you fight him in Crumbling Faram Azula, but I think you need to have summoned him for the big fight against Radahn and then talked to him after to keep his questline going. But yeah it's one of the best talismans in the game for the buff to weapon skills.

I got good at the final boss's Phase 1, so my luck in Phase 2 was down to him mostly using those combo attacks or picking the Mimic to target for some of the other attacks. I was only using the scarlet rot sporadically too because I was worried about having to farm/craft more. Like Johnny and me both said earlier though, could do the fight 50 more times and not get close to beating him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Made it to the final boss this morning and got through his first phase relatively unscathed where I wondered if he was nerfed, and then that second phase hit me like a train.

And in true FromSoftware boss tradition, I’ve done nowhere near as well in the first phase as the first time I faced them. This is going to take a while!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Man commander Gaius and that stupid charge. Id say there's a quarter of a frame that's safe to dodge it.

Beat him at least but he was a serious pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When's the best time to start the DLC? Narratively as well, if it even matters.

Currently level 125 and just about to start the Forbidden Lands.

Narratively probably after Mohg. Best time after you beat the main game and get the Sacred Relic sword which you need for THE farming spot.

• Advertisement

I'd aim for about Lvl 140 or so, just to make sure you have enough points in Vigor. Your strength etc mostly scales in the DLC with the scaling/upgrade system exclusive to the DLC, but your health/stamina/FP bars are still important.

As for narrative, so long as you've beaten Radahn in Caelid and Mohg in the Moghwyn Dynasty place (because the access point to the DLC is located there), you're good to go. It can be done before or after beating the main game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feel like in getting near the end now. Only have the abyssal woods and ancient ruins left to explore and did a lot of the optional content.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For someone who stopped playing the base game when I hit a wall with Malenia and Makilath.

Should I try and keep going there before trying the DLC?

Neither are required to access the DLC, and are probably two of the hardest bosses in the main game. Even if you beat Malekith, all you have in the main game is the last run of bosses, so to be honest I'd say you could probably just jump into the DLC. You'll have a bit of an easier start dealing with normal enemies again for a while before you have to take on a main boss so should help knock some of the rust off. The only issue you might face is whether you're underlevelled having not gotten the runes from defeating those bosses.

So long as you've beaten Mohg in the Blood palace area (and assuming you beat Radahn previously), I'd say just go for the DLC.

Im finding the DLC a bit of a push over but my rivers of blood build does feel a bit on the broken side. Still not hit the last boss which I believe is a massive difficulty spike. I wouldn't really get the DLC though if you aren't enjoying it enough to see the base game through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Souls games are great for that feeling of "No idea if this is the right way but I'll just keep going…"

It's a decker for the one more go addiction. I'll see what's over that hill and go to bed. Over the hill is a whole new area with new monsters.

Wonder what's in that ruin over there...

Was hoping to beat this tonight but the abyssal woods took way too long and were kind of ****.

Got to radahn finally. Had a few goes. Phase 1 doesn't seem too bad. Plenty of moves you can dodge through it you read them right and if you don't get greedy and go for a combo he is very punishable. Got to phase 2 which didn't last long and called it a night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When everyone talks about the difficulty of the final boss, it’s 100% phase two they’re talking about.

Whenever there are two paths in front of me, I always pick the one I think is the wrong way. Sometimes I end up being disappointed to realise it was actually the right way.

• Advertisement

I've found the community really helpful for this in Elden ring. When I get to a room or form I read the messages and they have managed to point me in the right direction many times. They will say 'first left then forward' or something like that or highlight ambushes. It's another thing that is so unique about these games. I've seen more moaning about idiot From Software gatekeepers without seeing one gatekeeper post (I suppose if you are a streamer you expose yourself to this more), but again the community is there to provide support and help you out. It's one of the things that drew me to these games since Demons Souls, it's like we are all in this together.

Yeah I mentioned before about how Bloodborne was my first of these games, and any time I read the messages in the starting area all I could think was "These dweebs writing these as if they're characters in the game…. Just say there's a dude around the corner instead of 'danger, o danger tee hee hee'"

It was only after I started to realise they weren't typing out the messages but just picking preset options.

Obviously the messages can be used for trolling and nonsense, but overall they're such a fantastic addition which really help build into a community aspect to the games and provide much-needed advice or guidance (especially given how obscure some of the side-stuff can be, seeing messages, ghosts of which emote to use or pointing at something, or a message hinting towards an item you need, or just hidden paths).

One thing I found playing the DLC(and then deciding now is the time to finish up trophies), as I don’t have PlayStation plus anymore, is how much more difficult things are without those community notes. It’s so much easier to get lost and have to look stuff up online, and then you see in a video notes telling you where the bit in the cliff is or where the invisible wall is etc. Think next time I’m playing a From game I’ll make sure it’s online!

Anyway, got Radahn at the weekend after countless tries. I think it’s the only FromSoftware boss I’ve faced where no matter how much I could see what he was going to do, luck was a big factor in getting through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know it’s been like 15 years now, but the Souls approach to multiplayer remains one of the few genuine positive innovations in the online console era.

Though it can still feel like trying to engage in co-op is still a half broken mess a decade and a half on 😅

Radahn has brought me to tears.

Git (a) gud (total respec build).

I might have to. Rivers of blood is doing less than 400 to him until the bleed chunks and it takes a lot to bleed chunks him. Also since it's a katana there's zero chance of getting a stagger. Phase 1 I sort of have down but he can still bullshit kills out of me meaning I don't get to phase 2 that often. And then when you get to phase 2 I panic. I don't have any of the timing down except for his attacks he does in phase 1 and even then I just panic as there's just holy being cast everywhere and it makes it so much harder to read. Also doesn't help they gave him another combo keeps catching me.

Seems to be very few opportunities to heal as well.

The Holy damage in Phase 2 can be crazy. If you haven't already, there are two talismans that can stack and reduce Holy damage; the Pearldrake Shield +3 (found in the Shadow Keep Storehouse/Library) and the Golden Braid (found in the village in the North of the map with the tree sentinels). They can really help with the AoEs in Phase 2. Though depending on what talismans you currently use you could be sacrificing damage you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mohg's spear and greatshield is much better than rivers of blood. Find a good enough shield for holy damage, block and get free stabby stabby shots.

• Advertisement

Yeah I started with RoB too but there’s not enough of an opening to build bleed reliably in either phase really. Slightly respecced to use impenetrable thorns, slow but can cause damage from distance and 2 close hits caused bleed damage.

Left to as late as possible in phase 1 to bring the mimic out then switched to RoB in phase 2 when I ran out of FP, focusing on avoiding his attacks while my mimic spammed impenetrable thorns, getting the odd hit in where possible. Eventually got a decent enough run where my mimic lasted the whole fight and I was able to avoid most of his attacks.

Advertisement