Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The creator mentioned Misfits in the Empire interview. I don’t remember exactly what he said but something like it is one of the inspirations and a comparison with MISFITS was inevitable because it is regular British people with powers but MISFITS is more of a comedy, while this is a serious superhero show.

I’m looking forward to this. Read a brief spoiler free review about it.

I watched the first episode of SUPACELL.

It is really good.

There are a few characters (Tazor and his gang, and other “yutes”) that I couldn’t understand at all because of the accents and slang.

Subtitles kept appearing randomly even though the option was OFF. I would go to English SDH and back to OFF and they’d stop showing however where ever a song was playing in the background they’d turn back on. Captions were also appearing whenever there was a sign.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scavengers reign is absolutely mesmeric and amazing. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just finished Ripley, absolutely superb TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭LilacNails

The troubled Maggie Cole - Dawn French is the main character, darkish, comedy drama.

She gets interviewed on a radio station about the history of her small local community but ends up getting drunk and basically spills the gossips on everyone in the village - few twists, not all is what it seems to be!

GGood easy watch, def recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Watched Beverly Hills Cop, Axel F last night. About what you would expect from a BHC movie, so thoroughly enjoyable with a bowl of popcorn.

Eddie Murphy hasn't aged a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But once you get over recognising all the old characters. It’s just a car-smashing borefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I wasn't actually sure what to make of it after the 1st episode. Not sure why, just felt like it wasn't going to go anywhere. Finished it last night and it was pretty good overall though. I'm not really into superhero type stuff, but definitely enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

A charmless trudge through a sick mind.

So different from The Talented Mr. Ripley, where a winning Matt Damon beguiles us and betrays the trust of Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow on the gorgeous, sunlit Amalfi Coast. Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant as Damon's nemesis.

Re-making this classic in black and white, and without Damon's natural appeal, destroys its charm and leaves only the sense of evil, like a nasty oil slick on the beach. Enjoy the original on Netflix now.

• Advertisement

Totally disagree with you but I know it's very much an acquired taste with how it was made. I thought the black and white worked very well. Completely separate from the movie so no point in comparing them. Thought Ripley was charming when he needed to be but you knew the nastiness was simmering underneath and the tension built up to boiling point in the last episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Actually I think ye're both right -

Brilliant description.

A psychopath can learn to be charming, so a program about a psychopath need not itself be charming to be an intriguing mesmerizing study. Not that I found this mesmerizing, though I did find it intriguing; it is very slow in building it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

No problem with a filmmaker taking a totally different approach to the same material but, by making Ripley a dark, menacing figure (especially in the introductory scenes in NY) , this version loses the charm, the tension and the intrigue. Why would Dickie and Marge befriend this creepy guy (don't they see through this phony)? Why would we be interested in his plot to replace Dickie? Surely we just want him caught and dealt with quickly.

I don't think Hollywood today could make a movie that combines the menace and charm of The Talented Mr. Ripley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Watched Beverly Hills Cop1/2/3 in recent weeks saw the new 1 was available.

Watched it last night, a good enough watch, more of the same but with a real Nostalgic feel to it, the characters, the music, the one liners.

Taggert looked well considering he looked old enough in the first 1.

Billy - hasn't aged well at all, bit too much done maybe.

As for Eddie Murphy, he has slowed down a bit but looks about the same!!

A good watch for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

anyone finish supacell? I’m two in and it’s a bit meh…

Gave up after 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

enough said! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

just finished latest season of Tour de France

Excellent again. Make sure to set language to French with subtitles

Delighted to see a new American football series pop up called Receiver. That’s next up

Might also watch “Sprint “- anyone watched it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

I actually enjoyed it. Language and setting veery like TopBoy … another one I liked!

Look forward to Season 2…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sprint takes a little while to get going but the last 2 episodes at the World championships are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Axel F

Not bad at all

Very enjoyable

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭obi604

probably not a q for this forum. But is it possible to do an offline download on a windows 10 pc.

I can download stuff for offline viewing in my iPhone. But can’t seem to do it on my windows 10 machine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It used to be possible with the older Windows Store Netflix app, but for the last few months the app has had periodic warnings pop up about how the app is being replaced and the new one won't support offline downloads.

I'm not sure if you can still get the old version of the app, but even if you can, its days are numbered...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Boyfriend is Japan's first same sex dating reality show, I am two episodes in and a bit obsessed already.

Also the music is right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

watched ‘Honour’ last night in one go - really good

Not sure if it works if you’re not but if you’re married and middle-aged, Boomers has some good funny moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Good Luck to You, Leo Grande is a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

New season of The Dragon Prince out today. Really enjoy this series so always happy to see new episodes. Can be really dark in places.

On episode 6 and looking at the title of the next episode

The Red Wedding

it can only mean it's a nice happy occasion, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement