Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmanuel Macron dissolves French parliament and calls snap elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's a FIVE letter name, so not terribly complicated, and the poster makes that same mistake every single time, including when quoting posts with the correct spelling, and without a pattern of similar mistakes with other words, it seems more likely that he is just not very familiar with the political scene in France.

Which does rather discredit his opinions about, eh, the political scene in France. It'd be like an English person repeatedly posting about Michael Martin and expecting people to think he had much understanding of the political scene in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is not discrediting as the poster has some knowledge of the subject (French national politics).

What's discrediting is effeminate tantrums over spelling, punctuation, grammar, orthography, "proper" usage etc., etc.

It's also against site rules, as otherwise you would have people who are desperate to demonstrate they are smart constantly correcting other posters over typos and mistakes.

I don't want to sidetrack discussion any more.

I'll report posts in future, let mods handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a short name. Its baffling to take the time to post and then get something so obviously wrong. It suggests really that no they themselves do not know about French politics at all.

Effeminate tantrums? Bizarre that asking for a politician's name to be spelt correctly leads to a homophobic rant but that is boards I guess.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Homophobic rant? You've lost me. What does homosexuality have to do with anything?

The poster said 'F*ck me' he didn't just ask, he got really pissy.

Anyway I'll report in future, let mods handle it. Didn't think it would turn into a big argument

• Advertisement

But does he? Google is available to all, so it's not hard to make it seem as though someone knows a lot more than they do.

Writing "Le Penn" (and continuing to do so after correction) looks to me like someone with schoolboy French (or schoolgirl French, but somehow I suspect not!) who is applying what he vaguely remembers of the rules of French spelling/pronunciation without realising that Le Pen is a Breton name, and that therefore French spelling rules don't apply.

Typical rookie error associated with a high degree of arrogance, IMO. And after all we can only ever guess how much credit to give to a poster's opinions on a subject based on what they write.

But as you say, it's all a bit off topic, so that's the last I will say on the subject too.

From your post:

"What's discrediting is effeminate tantrums over spelling, punctuation, grammar, orthography."

That's a homophobic post.

effeminate/ɪˈfɛmɪnət/adjective DEROGATORY

1. (with reference to a man) having characteristics and ways of behaving traditionally associated with women and regarded as inappropriate for a man.

No it isn't. Because it has nothing to do with someone being homosexual or not. When you say that a man is effeminate you aren't saying anything about his sexuality, and not all homosexual men are effeminate btw - even though that's a stereotype.

You are walking around with a big misconception in your head if that's what you think. To me it sounds very weird.

It does sound weird doesn't it? Using a slur like effeminate in a post in 2024?

How do know the posters you are replying to are men? Or women? You are insulting them based on gendered language. Effeminate is both an insult to men (for displaying feminine traits) and women (belittling feminine traits).

You are dog whitlstling homophobic gendered language. You know well effeminate was and is a frequent slur against homosexual men. So why are you using it in your post?

You know well what you are doing posting offensive language and then trying and failing to play the victim yourself.

No misconception. I see through the sagenda you are peddling in your posts.

It's not a slur. It's just a normal word.

It can be seen as insulting when used against a homosexual man - which I wasn't doing. Dohnjoe isn't homosexual, or if he is that's his private business and nothing to do with me.

I find your preciousness really off-putting. Only in academic and some corporate environments is "gendered language" even a concept.

I have no idea why you think I'm "playing the victim [myself]." Victim of what? I haven't referred to myself at all.

Finally the desperate descent into claiming people are sending coded messages on secret dog-whistling frequencies. X really means Y, secret agendas etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

I wonder what happens if this turns out to be true.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ipsos was the lowest of the polls for FN last time around.This latest one seems a bit lower still. What about the other polls I wonder ? Are they dipping too?

And why?

It's either homophobic or misogynistic. It's certainly bizarre in this context. Do women really get into tantrums over grammar more than men do??

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Thanks.Appreciate it. Hopefully and unexpectedly (mostly ) all up for FN.

Do they carry on these polls right up to when they vote or do they have to have 24 hours free time before the actual voting?

Perhaps there are a few late polls more favourable to FN :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I watch BFM tv now and then to catch up on the elections. At the moment there is a studio discussion going on amongst four female guests and a female presenter. It is refreshing to see how the guests are asked a question and are allowed to speak at length in their reply without interruption from either the host or the other guests. The topic under discussion is "L'apres deja dans toutes les tetes" (can't remember how to put in accents and circumflexes), translates as "The aftermath is already on everyone's minds"

I have only just tuned in, and while I'm far from fluent in French I can follow a lot of it. There are unfortunately no subtitles, as I can read French better than understand it as spoken on TV!

My main point was the difference in tone, approach and sheer manners in the way the discussion is conducted. It is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

High quality discussion going on in here I see. It's no wonder politicians are becoming more irrational. Just a reflection of society isn't it.

Russia behind fake news seeking to undermine Marcon and push support to Le Pen and far right.

Analysis of a range of sources reveals a co-ordinated campaign of disinformation that has smeared Mr Macron, while promoting Eurosceptic far-right leaders Marine Le Pen and Jordan Bardella, who have voiced opposition to Ukraine.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/russia-fake-news-bot-campaign-french-far-right-3149163?ITO=newsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 54,391 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Very interesting times ahead of us today.

Voting begins in mainland France at 08:00 (06:00 GMT) and the first exit polls will be released 12 hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Everytime an election isn't going the way of the establishment-left, Russia gets wheeled out. It's getting petty at this stage. Can the establishment-left cannot get their heads around that their policies are distasteful to a decent swathe of the public? Even across the water, the left leaning Labour Party only seen miniscule gains, alot of which were by the public there holding their nose as they voted Labour. Most of the protest vote went to ReformUK, thus upending the Conservatives. But Russia. The left really think the voting public are out and out sheep, don't they?

Based on the contents of posts on social media, it is clear that there is a cohort in the West who are fodder for this sort of Russian disinformation.

I think in a previous generation, they were called 'useful idiots' by Soviets and their morally and intellectually bankrupt fellow travellers. So Russia certainly seems to think they exist, or they wouldn't be trying to appeal to them. That doesn't mean all support for such things comes from Russia, but they are a factor.#

Not everybody who votes far right is Russian influenced, but those who have been influenced by such dishonest Russian tactics will.

And given the malign aims Russia has for Europe, it is certainly worth pointing out where they seem to be favouring one party over another, and why that might be - and what that says about the 'values' the party presents.

We have also seen Russia interfere more directly in elections through compromising of elected officials.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Ah yes: useful idiots, morally bankrupt, intellectually bankrupt. Could have went full-on Hillary Clinton and completed the bingo card with deplorables for good measure too.

It bemuses me how left leaning activists who bang the drum for equality, diversity and tolerance look down their noses at anyone who doesn't conform to their political views.

The public are too thick to know when they're being 'swayed' in the wrong way. But they're a brilliant well-informed public maturing as a nation when they vote the correct way.

Question for you, who are the unwitting backers of globalism who campaign for policies that help make MNCs ever more rich?

deleted

It's exciting isn't it ? First time i have bought popcorn in years.

God knows what follows it though regardless of the result. I certainly would not fancy being a policeman on duty tonight, hopefully the loons keep cool.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the notion Russia even has the faintest capability of interfering in other country's elections to the extent they are regularly accused of is quaint. They aren't that sophisticated, competent or important a country. Russians themselves laugh out loud at what they hear out of the United States in relation to Trump and Russian interference, for example.

I'm not saying they don't try and mess around but the extent of it is probably way overblown.

Maybe that's the intention of the Russians, make people think they can do all this stuff abroad.

I think they get an absurd amount of credit.

Midday numbers show the highest numbers of votes cast at 26.6% the highest for 47 years.

- Camille Paglia

It will be interesting to learn which parties benefited from the higher turnout (if it transpires as such at the end of the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,033 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Support for extremist or populist parties is part of Putin's multi-faceted hybrid war on Europe (which also includes cyber-warfare, hacking, influence operations, economic warfare, military and proxy pressure, propaganda, "lawfare", espionage, coercion)

It's not fully responsible, but it plays a part

• Advertisement

Does anyone have an opinion on how reliable the latest polls are?

Did support for RN fall consistently since the first round?

Was it still falling when the last poll came out?

Advertisement