Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump the Megathread part II - threadbans and mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I feel the issue would be attempted coup. It also gives a stronger avenue to stop one in the process if the person can't just say everything I am doing is legal and you need to debate whether or not it is before stopping them. It also gives some cover for whistleblowers who might hope that power is taken away before they can be found for revenge instead of a well please don't do it again.

Also I would not be comfortable at leaving at I am unsure if trying to overthrow the rule of law is covered by immunity. That would be a negative on this ruling until I found out for definite it would not be covered. I feel the onus should be on someone defending the ruling to show what would be covered.

At the very best this ruling does nothing to help the US and worst leaves the US system open to get crippled which is not my kind of preferred trade off.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

Probably the best thing they could do would be to replace the VP with a strong candidate. Would temper a lot of the concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

The law is not an independent entity. It relies upon people to uphold and enact it. If you load enough Trump loyalists into the correct positions, the law doesn't actually matter whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The politicisation of the US judiciary and in particular of the manner of it's appointments are playing a huge role in using populism to shape court benches.

There are IIRC about 20 States that run judicial elections, that puts quite a lot of local/state judicial power into the hands of explicitly political judges, vote chasing judges.

Now those elected judges aren't federal, federal judges are lifetime appointees. Selected by a President and confirmed by the senate. An inherently political process that leads to fractious delays at times, particularly with Supreme Court but, with many other appointments affected.

The lack of effective means of censure, ethics and plain old decent morality of much of the American federal benches is plainly political and is now being gamed, and very effectively so by the US right, think tanks and political donors are focusing as much on judicial appointments as they are on the WH and Capitol hill.

The need for non-partisan judicial appointments committee, for effective oversight and discipline of federal judges is imperative. Judges esp SCOTUS cannot credibly police and discipline themselves.

The SCOTUS decision in US v Trump undermines both the separation of powers insofar as it grants POTUS a cloak of immunity and in doing so, it grants imprimatur to POTUS being above the law.

In a country founded on the principles of no man being above the law, and in direct opposition to tyranny? It should chill the blood of anyone who holds true to those founding principles.

TLDR; SCOTUS screwed the pooch in an effort to make the Christo-fascist's imperfect vessel a pseudo king.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"However bad you think it is: it's worse."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sigh, i guess you missed his entire UK elections episode then. it's brilliant. #cockwomble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,446 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone voting for this guy needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well they would have to fall into one, some or all of the three C categories (Cretin, Crazy, Cúnt). Going by what you read online from his supporters across various platforms, it is hard to argue that it isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…cause the other guy is so much better!

countries in some serious trouble, and so are we!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,446 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If you can't tell the difference between the two, I genuinely can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

You should check out Projekt 2025. It's the equivalent of the enabling act in Germany 1933.
    Anyone voting for Trump is either deranged, a troll or a traitor. No exceptions.
    Anyone who wants to have a country left should vote for anything, anyone other than Trump. If the choice is between Trump and a mouldy bagel, vote bagel!

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is the enabling act and the Treaty of Algeron rolled into one.

All on a public shoestring budget but relying on the docility of the populace after years of fluoride in water and 5G control.

…the establishment, particularly the dems, have been actively undermining large proportions of American citizens for decades now, and its worked, its completely understandable why trump has strong support, as its mainly these folks that have been continually undermined, and they know it, trump knows this, and is using it for his own gains, only problem is, hes also trying to screw over these folks, and hes also succeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Objectively yes he is better, hes not a rapist, convicted felon, accused paedophile, failed businessman, pathological liar, possible russian asset etc etc. Do i think Biden should be running? No absolutely not but he is and there is no question he would be better for the US as well as for the rest of the world as president than TFG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

what large proportions of american citizens, that have been screwed over, especially by the dems?

…oh theres no question, another biden admin would be far better for the average american, but that may not happen, its been a truly dreadful campaign for him, hes just too bloody old, but its disturbing to see the dems being completely unable to cultivate someone younger, theyve had the time, trump supporters have had enough, have had enough of being screwed over, particularly by the dems, they no longer care how bad trump is, cause theyve nothing to lose…..

• Advertisement

..ah come on lads, this is clearly obvious now, continual undermining of critical needs, job security, health care and housing needs etc, continually pandering to wealthier needs, at the downfall of the average joe, this has been from both sides of the house, and for decades, no wonder people have flocked towards trump……

and you for some reason think, the dems are more to blame for this than republicans or trump?

Im sure you can give a wealth of examples of how the dems have screwed the average joe under each of your topics there and how trump is the apparent answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's hard to say who would be better for the world. How could Trump make it worse other than ordering the US military to strike China. I think that is pretty unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think 'particularly the dems' is wrong. The GQP have been the enemy of the middle classes since forever. Trouble is, the Democrats have missed the message where they needed to do even more for their 'typical constituents.' Like, Obamacare had potential, but was gutted by the insurers. Imagine if it had turned into 'medicare for all,' it would've been a seismic shift in favor of the average US worker who could, now, tell their boss to take their job and shove it and not lose healthcare. NAFTA (a GOP invention but fully embraced by all sides) was another disaster that the Democrats helped with.

And CFTrump having support says a lot about the education system in the US, which is run by unions who are big Democrat boosters, but not like the GQP has done it any favors, including freaks like Betsy DeVos running things. Project 2025 wants to abolish the education department entirely - more dumb voters who CFTrump favors.

the evidence has been glaring for years now, yet the dems havent accepted their own part in these issues, yes both sides of the house are to blame, but the dems have yet to accept their part, again, no wonder why trump appeared, and is also well supported, remember obama post 08 crash, his promises, hope and change, and then what actually happened after his election….

trump clearly isnt the answer, but neither is biden…

the only way you can think of for trump to make things worse, is by striking China?

Nothing at all on in the US education, economy, debt, environment, federal agancies - EPA, FTC

For the rest of the world - trade, ukraine, being a counter balance to agressive regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

People held their nose and voted for Biden four years ago. To be a little more kind, safe centrist Joe Biden seemed like an attractive alternative to the craziness of Trump, which it was.

But the thing of it is that the Democrats cannot make that their political strategy. That's just depressing - a choice between Trump and some other guy who you can say, 'hey, at least he's not Trump'. If that's what they're banking on, then they deserve to lose the upcoming election. They had four years to get someone from the next generation ready, but bet on Biden, and now appear to be reaping the fruits of that.

The Democrats sort of need a Trump of their own in a way. What I mean by that is someone who can come in from outside the party and electrify the base, not needing to go through the party apparatus and shake all the right hands. Someone who forces the party to change. Someone who speaks directly to the people. All those things but just not a raging arsehole like Donnie.

For sure, if they stick with the candidates they have been propping up the last eight years, they're really just helping pave a road to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

IMO Biden is more than just "not Trump". His track record is good, his only problem is not selling himself well enough. And Republicans spending 4 years screaming lies and bulls1t about him.
    And now idiots are saying "I don't know, like, dude, Biden's old and stuff, erm, I think I'll vote for the guy who promises to destroy democracy in the US".

That is the dumbest, sh1ttiest, most idiotic reason to vote for fascism. If it happens it's because US voters are idiots and they deserve it. It's just a pity that decent people will have to suffer as well through no fault of their own.
    You don't eat a plate of sh1t because you don't like what your partner is cooking, so why vote Trump because Biden is old? And what about Trump? Is he fcuking 20?
    In the 1930s people had an excuse for voting for Hitler, they didn't know that he was going to burn down the planet and commit genocide.
    The same with Trump 2016.
    But voting for Trump now is like voting for Hitler in 1945. People know exactly what he is about.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Dems' message really needs to be that you're not just voting for Biden or Trump, but for their administrations, and who they'll put in different positions.

Biden may be old as f*ck, but he'll continue to put experienced, knowledgeable and competent people in different roles.

Trump already claimed he'd hire "the best people" in his first term, and most of those are either under investigation or facing criminal charges, or have already ruled themselves out of serving his administration again.

Dems need to push that a vote for Biden is a vote for Democrats, rather than the chaos that Trump would poison the White House and Cabinet with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement