Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy an EV and if so, which one

Options
  • 01-07-2024 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all,

35 year old male, single, no kids. I live in Dublin and drive 200km to Limerick once a fortnight. That is 400km range, would ideally like to do it all on a single charge. No charger at home but would definitely sort that if I got an EV. Rarely drive outside of this trip to Limerick, maybe once every 10 days or so I might drive somewhere in dublin that's awkward to get to with public transport.

Reasons I thought about EV

• more cabin space
    • enjoyable as a feat of engineering
    • quieter
    • green
    • ? cheaper in long run

I dont transport anything heavier than golf clubs or maybe just hauling around some small bits of equipment, nothing major. I don't do really any city driving

Budget: ideally <15k but if somebody can make a case for something new or something worth more, would consider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Not sure why you think you need to have the range to get to Limerick and back without a charge. I assume you're staying there for at least long enough to charge the car back up. And there are plenty of fast chargers in and around Limerick. A 50kWh battery would fast charge in about 20 minutes from 0 to 100%, something you wouldn't actually need to do. A 50kWh charger (pretty much found in every Lidl and Tesco car park) will charge you to full in an hour or so.

You didn't mention a budget, but for something with a 40-50kWh battery the cost would be less than 20k second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spalpeen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

As far as I know nothing for 15k will do 400kms reliably

Closest would be Hyundai kona and ID3, ID3 58kwh still just over your budget but maybe a kina might be available for 15, I don't keep an eye on their prices at all.

If you wait it out a little bit and ID3 77kwh might come into budget then you have your 400kms range in all but the worst conditions

I regularly do Dublin to Annacotty in a 58kwh Cupra born which is the same as an id3 and I take about 20 mins stop on return leg to top up enough to get home

Edit: a 64kwh kona should be achievable for your budget, people with more experience of them might comment on range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

Don’t think theres any 400km range EV’s for that budget. Do you not use the toilet or anything on the way there or back? A single 15 minute charge might be all you need

• Advertisement

Ignoring the 400km limit since it's not really necessary, you'd be talking about a 40kWh Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq, BMW i3, VW E-Golf and Opel Corsa-E that would fit inside your budget and get you to Limerick and back with a charge up in Limerick.

Probably more than that, but a decent selection.

A 50kwh battery will not charge from 0 to 100 in 20 mins. That's 150kwh throughout the full charge curve.

You'd do well to get 0 to 100 under an hour no matter what charger you're on, even a 350kwh one, the car just won't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

Something like this if all the checks come back ok. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/202-hyundai-kona-ev-premium/37262454

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yeah, but are we really going to bamboozle the chap with charge curves when he's trying to get his head around kw and kWh? And it's never going to be done even if it were possible.

Well we won't mislead him with 0 to 100 charges in 20 mins which isn't in any way the reality. Not even close.

Manufacturers wouldn't even say that with a straight face. They don't even quote 0 to 100, it's always 10 to 80 or 20 to 80. And will still be well above 20 mins.

• Advertisement

thanks for suggestions, seems i have the wrong idea about needing to get up and down without a charge.

speaking very generally, am i better of buying second hand from dealer or privately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You can subtract at least 25% range for motorway driving. So Dublin to Limerick, you are likely going to have to recharge in Limerick, so just be aware of that if the EV you buy has less than 400k range.

If I was you I'd wait another year or two and some 400km range cars might be coming onto market at your budget.

Regardless who you buy from, do the usual checks and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Bargains are they to be had privately, have a look at a Kona that should be close to your budget and will do up to 380km on a single charge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

As an ioniq 38 owner I wouldn't be confident in recommending an ioniq for this use case. While it should do one leg of the journey, I'm not 100% sure it would make one 200km all motorway trip in winter, this paired with its very slow fast charging (45 mins from 20-80% I think) would make it a bad choice for the op

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

try and get an ID.3 that still has some warranty on it from a private seller.

My ID.3 Tour will be in Wilson’s auction shortly. 80k km and the warranty is up in August. It’s a good car that never gave us any trouble and easily does long trips like these. They charge faster than some others as well. Up to 135 kw.

Yeah, here's a screen grab from Plugshare showing the chargers in and en route to Limerick. As you can see, there's no shortage of them. I take what @witnessmenow says above about the Ioniq, but it's one of the nicer cars in that price range and worth a look if you can get a decent one. 38kWh models are hard to come by in your price range, but wouldn't write it off yet.

Second hand is probably the only option you have within your budget, but you're buying at a great time, so it's very possible that you could get a 2021 car inside that price range. Certainly a few 21 Leafs and Zoes around.

am i right in saying that dealers will rip me off in the semi-new market? eg cars that are 3, 4, 5 years old

Aside from the fact that there will be a dealer loading on the asking price of a few grand over and above a private sale, It depends when they took them in- there were some over inflated asking prices towards the start of the year as dealers took in stock at X price but then the prices of some new models fell considerably meaning they couldn’t realistically achieve that price - you’ll have the reassurance of a dealer warranty and for given your budget and likely age of the car that’s probably not a bad thing- just make sure the dealer you’re buying from is well established and possibly close by to you as well - otherwise you may not be in a position to get the car to them if something goes wrong -

Edit- sorry just re read post - 2-3 years old- a lot of cars like the ID3 for example are due an upgrade in 2025 I think or late /024 - some other manufacturers are releasing updated models this year - so there may well be some “value” in buying up a previous model about to be discontinued

thanks. normally i would just buy from private seller but if its my first ev i feel less confident etc about that. but maybe its good to go to a dealer for test drives etc

And sorry I just updated my post above on cars 2-3 years old

Yeah totally- dive in, pick a few cars you think you’d like or live with and give them a test drive - you might find you don’t actually like them as I did with a basic model ID3 - just didn’t feel any love for the interior cabin at all but yet I think it’s a nice looking car on the road and drives well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

we got a 2020 60 kw leaf recently for less than your €15k budget. Would need a chare for a return trip to limerick alright though. Lovely car on the motorway, active cruise and keeps you between the lines itself - very easy driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

yes, the one you like most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Cabin Space - one person in car, how much space will you need?, Engineering - ok, Quieter - Not at motorway speeds 50% of the noise is wind and tires. Green - not really that much with low miles and on the motorway. Cheaper in the long run - debatable consider low miles unless you buy it cheap. But then you won't get non stop range.

I mean its fun adventure with tech. That's enough of a reason for me. And you can make it work. I'm just not sure its worth it for only long journeys and not very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

No-one ever mentions the Kia Soul EV in these threads, its like the black sheep of the family for some reason! 😁

Great car, very comfortable and will do the trip to Limerick with ease (even in winter) as it has a 64KWh battery. They can be had for less than 20k nowadays and a bit of a left field choice to the usual Kona, ID3 et al. As above, how much space do you need if it is just yourself in the car? Most of the suggestions will take 4 adults with relative comfort anyway (the Corsa-e may be a squeeze). With all of these cars, you may be able to "granny" charge at your destination, depending on what it is and how long you're there, but there are also plenty of chargers in and around Limerick that you could use.

Best advice is to take a look at some of the cars that have been suggested and take them for a test drive. You may decide that an EV is not for you in the long run but only you can make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Valid point but I’d dismiss immediately on looks alone. Please don’t be offended and it’s a subjective opinion but for me, it’s a dog ugly yoke.

None taken, taste is subjective. The Op can make up their own mind, I'm sure.🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Beat me to it. See the Kona mentioned all the time but the Soul apparently has a higher spec interior than the eNiro and the Kona interior has been described as Paddy spec.

Smart money is on the Soul all day long. For those that don't like the look it, that's OK. But for the OP doing regular motorway spins heated leather seats, heated steering wheel and active cruise control far outweighs Soul vs Kona. Who cares what it looks like. When you're in it, you can't see it!

Bingo!… but I'm biased because I own one 😂

It has a higher spec than the equivalent Kona for sure plus it has more space in the rear for passengers if needed. It was the main reason why I went for one over the Kona at the time and I would still make the same choice today. I also happen to like how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

Similarly I wouldn't recommend the Corsa either. I have one, and love it, but it really doesn't like motorway driving. I occasionally drive Wicklow - Athlone and back, with a half hour charge in Athlone, that usually gets me to about 80% full - and I still will occasionally have to pull in for a top up.

It's a lovely car, I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's much better for local trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Soul has a cd of 0.35 vs 0.27 for the Niro.

Advertisement