Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everybody broke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Aye overpaying the mortgage would be bottom of the list in terms of what I'd do with my money.

Before doing I would ask the following:

Any other debt (that attracts a higher rate than the mortgage) that needs paying down?

Am I hitting the max tax free contributions on my private pension? (considerations here if you're earning more than 115k).

Any other shorter-term savings that are getting a better return than your mortgage rate?

Then I might consider it, but I'd exhaust the other options first. The above assumes you have adequate insurance in place to replace income if you get sick or unable to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's something I fully agree with. I always here people talking about the rates published. People are very surprised when I tell them to call them and they will get a better rate. I'm on 3.5% fixed at the moment for the next 2 years and I'm happy enough with that given the market currently. I'd fully expect rates to keep dropping over the next few years too. I'd think I'll be able to get them to closer 3% next time around which would be a decent saving to spend on other things.

That's what insurance is for.

Bringing your mortgage from 20 years to 18 years won't really make much of a difference if your argument is around health and ageing.

No if someone came in to money (inheritance etc) I'd say pay off a lump or the whole thing without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah, thats probably also true as the sound financial advice is to always keep the mortgage as it is the cheapest loan you'll ever get, however we simply didn't want to be in debt to the bank.. The house is paid off now, and in fairness it didn't really affect our quality of life (we paid €1,000 each towards the mortgage, so that covered the payment, the life insurance that was required, and everything left was overpaid…… As I mentioned, in that time, we bought a new car (EV), a boat, and a house in another country, so if anything we probably could have paid it off quicker..

However we did what we did, and we saved €49k in interest over the almost 9 years we had the mortgage out, so I see it as a win…. Could we have better spent that overpayment money? absolutely, however we wanted to own the house outright..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

..it might if one or both parties need to leave employment for an extended period, possibly indefinitely, then of course theres the reality, more and more relationships are breaking down, i.e. pay off your debts folks, you just never know….

…i know a couple in their 50's both currently dealing with cancer, you never never know…..

• Advertisement

That's why Dual-life Serious illness cover exists. It's one of the most important insurances I pay imho. It be wreckless not to have it, dealing with a serious illness is enough to deal with on it's own let alone worrying about finances too.

…i know a couple in their 50's both currently dealing with cancer, you never never know…..

I'm a shoe in for cancer, so it's nice knowing that whatever happens, the house is fully paid for, and if I do die young (currently early 40's), she'll get a lump sum of about €450k, as well as 80% of my salary for the rest of her life, so I'll die knowing she and my son will be taken care of, and thats all that matters to me.

its great to hear such products exist, but not everyone can possible avail of, or may not even be aware exists, long term debt can get very very messy, especially when serious illness and relationship breakdown occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Like everything, it depends. Your house and your mortgage carries more emotional weight than other investments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Comfortable but not loaded here. I will be going part time in the next couple of years, young family so things will be getting higher. At the moment I'm trying to bump up pension and we are lucky our fixed rate with AIB allows us to pay off an extra 5k per year. Now we don't reach the 5k but we throw in a bit every now and then to try have lower monthly repayments when I go parttime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

When I had a fixed rate our mortgage provide allowed about 10% overpayment a year - you might want it check if that’s a service they provide in case the adviser got it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There is definitely a case for paying off the mortgage early if you can afford to do so but personally I would prioritise pension contributions first. With the tax relief available it is far better value in the long run IMO

If people can do both then better again

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I would say yes, I am doing less work and feel like my work since the pandemic doesn't warrant a pay rise. I do a fraction of what I did pre-pandemic from home. It's the same for a lot of people I think but my company doesnt do anything about it. It probably suits them to be fair. If I went looking for a payrise, I know they would tell me to come into the office more.

Totally! Just so I'm clear, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to pay off early, depending on current circumstances there can be better things to do.

It'd be much more satisfying to me to put 200 a month away in a 60:40 investment account and watch it grow over 5-10 years and be left with a decent chunk to decide what to do with it in 5-10 years versus putting 200 extra off the mortgage and see the lump sum of the mortgage move from 300k to 295k. Doing it the former means the decision is still yours. If you pay off 200 last month but then you need that this month cause the car broke you can't go back to your mortgage people and say "please can I have that money back", they'd laugh in your face.

There's no doubt there's a great emotional benefit to putting a lump sum off but doing it month to month you don't get same emotional high but only you as an individual can make the right choice for you. Don't take the advice of some randomer on called "Creamy Goodness" on boards as fact. I share my advice so that some might see a different way of managing money and might pick one or two things from it to help their scenario.

Indeed. Everyone's circumstances are different I guess.. The reason we went for it so aggressively was probably because it was relatively low to start with (€165k). We had calculated we could comfortably repay it over 10 years, but we still took a 20 year term so as not to be tied to the higher repayments a 10 year term would have incurred… giving us some wiggle room.

So from day 1 it was a target. 10 years to try and pay it off.

Initial monthly repayments at 4.3% were €1,025/m then when I got the rate reduction to 3.9% (they didn't offer, it was only when I enquired) they recalculated and the payment reduced to €858/m, and when I got the last reduction to 3.4%, the payment recalculated to €714/m. About 2 years into it we both increased our contributions to €1k a month each towards it and ended up clearing it in 8 years 9 months.

You’d be surprised at how long I spent looking at this graph as it was slowing creeping to the right over the years… (also, I'm sh!t at Excel graphs)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d love to pay off mortgage early. But not willing to give up the fun stuff to do so. The children are young for only a short time and I intend to enjoy life while they are and we are healthy. ( within reason of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One of the keys to not being broke is realising that mortgage borrowing is the cheapest loan you ever borrow.

I would make sure I am paying pension contributions especially where an employer is topping them up, early pension contributions build into substantial pensions

If I had excess cash first I would save so as not to have to borrow for a car, pay credit cards at the end of the month, not pay tax, insurance or other items in installments which attract substantial interest rates

Next priority is a saving fund a rainy day fund of at least a years wages is a good thing to have.

After that if you plan on having or having children start setting a small fund up to put children through college. It will cost in the region of 50-70k minimum per child.

I might pay off the mortgage after that but in reality by year 25-30+ most mortgages are the equivalent to a car loan. Remember in the case of a mortgage inflation is your friend.

As well remember an inflation rate of 2% will in real terms shrink your loan repayments by 33% in real terms in 20 years. If your wages rise 3% a year by year 20 your mortgage reoayments are about about 55% in real wage terms

Also by leaving your mortgage in place you may well avoid going to the credit union or bank to borrow for your Dermot Bannon designed sunroom 20 years on.

Another factor to consider is the house a starter home. By leaving the mortgage insitu you have much more flexibility if you have a cash fund to work with

The first priority on debt repayment is your house, however its the last one you should pay off. Its the cheapest money you will probably ever borrow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I know a family both parents are doctors they won’t go for Tyler swift concert for their children but some kid living in social welfare house got 2 tickets. So I don’t believe people going to concert means they have a lot of money. Just people have different hobbies and the way they prioritize their spend is different. The doctors family would go for skiing trip or expensive holidays. Kid in social welfare house the furthest country they go maybe is UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

let’s not forget there are certain percentage people who takes jobs and get paid by cash.
    personally I have paid cash for putting up patio, plumbing issues…

my colleagues pay someone to maintain garden by cash.

those incomes are not captured in reports.

• Advertisement

…some of it is eventually caught in legitimate transactions and taxes paid through consumption, so at least theres that….

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

I think anyone that has young kids that are crèche going age is probably not very well off unless they earn very strong income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lux42

Many people in their 20s and 30s feel they have no hope of buying a home, even if they are earning a good wage, so they spend on experiences. They might also be living at home if rent is out of the question, which also leaves them with more disposable income.

I think back to my first proper job in 2005/2006. I was on 20,000 a year, and I could rent a small room (a box room now) for 295 per month, plus about 50 quid a month for bills. I walked to work and was frugal with lunches and dinners during the week, but I was still out from Thursday to Saturday! I couldn't afford that now, and I pay 4.5 times as much, and my partner has a pretty good wage, too.

I find it hard to understand where my money goes, but renting and saving for a house leaves us pretty stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ireland is at the upper range of countries in terms of consumer spending AND we are whopper savers based on international stats. The retail environment is just increasingly competitive and there've been some real challenges lately in terms of costs.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-hs/householdsavingq42023/#:~:text=Key%20Findings,2023%20households%20saved%20%E2%82%AC207m.

I have a few side gigs away from my main job and it equates to about 160 euro per week into the hand. It's handy for anyone if they have skills people are willing to pay for.

I stopped going to coffee shops reqularly, the price was just getting outragous, basic coffee is now €5. I'm not that old but I remember getting a pint and a shot for the same price. I go once in a blue moon and invested in a good coffee machine for myself.

Lets be honest, nobody, especially no Irish people, will tell you that they are flush with cash. I know people who will tell you how annoyed they are at the cost of loo roll in Dunnes Stores but minutes later they'll tell you about the solid stone bathtub that the builders could not get up the stairs that they use to wash the dog in, as they only have time for showers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't know where the feck you were getting your coffee??

Regular Americano in Dublin, €2.50 to 3.50

Still too expensive, but I've literally never seen one for €5.

The Avoca Café in D4, is €4. And thats the priciest I've ever seen. And not paid it, I should add.

Get yourself some good quality ready meals, even the pricer ones will still save you a heap of money and keep them in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

just about surviving on social welfare and now trying to jump through the hoops for disability payment . accounts down low and have medical issues. Nearly at old age but not there yet.

Gas boiler packed up and needs to be replaced and more money. One thing in my favour is no mortgage as still living in my parents house.

Yes price hikes on this and that means no life left to enjoy and fuel tank empty.

Advertisement