Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DF Commission Report

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All of our fleet up to the P60 class were already co-funded by the EU with common fisheries policy grants.

We may benefit in future from piggybacking the economies of scale for equipment and munitions, but nobody is going to buy IFVs, ships, and planes for one of the wealthiest nations on the face of the Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vswr

so now we'll have 2 potential grants to sponge from… bigger ship, still no sailors to run them

Obviously the acquisition of new vessels and aircraft is going to occur in parallel with reforms and increased recruitment.

Even if we ordered the large MRV on Monday morning, it would be 4 years before she's operational. Probably longer.

None of this stuff happens in a silo. Renewal and expansion of the DF means new buildings AND new weapons AND structural reform AND improved pay and conditions AND expanded recruitment AND a deeper intelligence infrastructure AND new technologies AND a revised role in this Republic AND - almost the easiest bit - more ships and planes and armour.

Its one big bastard of a task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They remembered the RDF still exists. I know the FCA had its issues but it was a great recruitment ground for the PDF.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/d8526-plan-to-revitalise-the-reserve-defence-force-published-today/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Pity they waited until the reserve was effectively dead. Less than 1500 in the Army reserve, 70 remaining in the Naval Reserve, per question asked in the dail today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK, but where actually is it? There seems to be no link in the release?

You had to be there I guess….

I imagine the document in the photo is just a front & back cover, with the content yet to be completed, but the big launch needed to be done before summer recess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Thank you.

Not a word to be found on civilian employment protection legislation, I note. I’m not wrong in saying that it doesn’t currently exist, either for training or for operations, am I?

• Advertisement

I think if you are Civil or Public Servant you may get time off for reserve service.

It may be the hair dye soaking in to by brain but up untill 90s wasnt there some form of air corps reserve?

I hear that the governments annoucement about portlaoise has gone down very badly with AGS. They have not agreed to anything yet and have warned if they are sent to Cloonagh to do static duites that could result in no armed units to patrol parts of Dublin!

Lets see will there bluff be called or will the government back down.

AGS will get whatever €€€ they ask for and the whole thing will be forgotten, and some mule with a firearms card will never have to see the inside of the NCT centre again, as he updates his car before the tyres need changing.

Why can't the Irish Prison Service train up officers from among their number to provide an armed presence at high security prisons?

Security protocols around being a prison officer are already arguably tighter than the Guards or DF, why not just enhance their own capacity and let them mind their own backyard, instead of relying on part-time security from other arms of the State, neither of whom have prison patrol as part of their core mission.

Yes, by all means have the Guards and Army trained and equipped to support serious incidents at prisons, but really neither should be involved day-to-day.

Prison officer wont be as cheap as a solider but.

Yes, but that sounds like a budgetary problem for the IPS and Dept of Justice to me.

After the carry on in Dublin last night i can see the defence forces protection of government building will be one ATCP role they wont be aloud to drop.

Don't think it was ever on the cards for the chop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

The only answer to this is a very hefty pay rise… alongside improvements elsewhere in the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

employment in the DF is key metric. Absolute Walter Mitty talk of new ships when we can’t even crew the ones we have, new equipment when we struggle to fiield personnel for existing commitments and are scaling back on overseas operations (Golan Heights gone, no Navy Med operations this summer), new accommodation for recruits we cant attract. This needs to be tackled seriously and immediately by the Taoiseach and Tanaiste, but wait, the guff will only end when something is dropped or an embarrassment arises. Hopefully Putin might start pulling stunts off the West coast again and some multi national goes public over security concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

your right i laugh when i hear troop carrier ship, 6 ships tied up …. people would want to realise the df is finished we should just look at becoming coast guard or something aer corps is really just working for hse, NS IPV i wouldnt have on the shannon river let alone south coast in the middle of winter.

IPV was involved in the recovery of a casualty in Dungarvan bay earlier in the week,. Thankfully the Naval service doesn't agree with your ill informed opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

As opposed to your entitled opinion? (Still laughing at you!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

how many sea days will they manage in winter compared to CPV

You didn't see Ciara and Orla churning through Force 10 gales and high seas either.

At the moment, sea days are very much a function of lack of crews rather than weather.

But assuming personnel numbers can be brought up to scratch, as IPVs, the Lake Class will ply their trade in the Irish Sea every bit as much as the fishing boats and coasters that they are designed to monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭sparky42

it’s amazing how Western nations of similar economy (GNI if you want) can still manage both to invest in their country and their security… Hell it’s amazing that we could spend several times what we spend now as a percentage during the Troubles with an even smaller economy… we already spend shitloads on investment in infrastructure as is and will continue to do so, upping the defence budget to even a basic level of capability won’t change that.

As ever, its not really about money, its about capacity. Capacity to effectively spend a budget increased by several factors.

The government could announce a 3.5bn defence budget in October, but in practical terms it would make no appreciable difference for a long time, because the structures, expertise and number of bodies to enact it productively simply aren't there.

Thats not an excuse for it by the way, the legislative moves on reformed command and control is taking far too long, and thats a necessary first step in all the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭sparky42

without question the idea of ramping up to something like today isn’t on the cards for the reasons you have said, however nobody should be saying that it’s a flat out impossibility long term…

Advertisement