Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI - Westminster Election 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aontu will be disappointed their conservatism gained little traction and their vote share fell. Not a good night for the socially conservative or fundamentalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

There is obviously a difference between SF voters North and South

Theres a difference between voters north and South period,the constitutional question drives the vote North of the border

SF candidates can't condemn murders in the same way as other parties as they'd lose a hard core vote that could gift a seat to unionists

They can regret it but not condemn it

SF politicians in the 26 counties are the same,they cannot be seen up north to be dis respecting that core

Most political hacks recognise this,it is what it is,it doesn't bother me,much like the spanish inquisitions don't even though I'm a catholic

I'd condemn both though but I'm neither a priest or a Republican politician

I think the issue was a rejection of the one-sided condemnation junkies. Cullen simply wouldn't play ball with them howsoever she felt about the acts involved.
    She was vindicated by an increased vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No real change up north overall, still roughly a 1/3rd split, three ways. We're a long way from any border poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Fair enough, and I have head that explanation before, but I do not agree that "SF candidates can't condemn murders in the same way as other parties as they'd lose a hard core vote that could gift a seat to unionists". Who else would "hard core" SF voters vote for? OK, some may abstain or vote for some tiny new party but that would be made up for by new SF voters, from people who would not have previously voted for SF. I think the day will come : obviously SF up North think that core ( people in SF who will not condemn Omagh or Enniskillen ) is very sizeable, too sizeable to alienate. Even if they wanted to.

Well done to SF for thinking strategically anyway : the unionists in many constituencies would not co-operate with each other and instead fought among themselves. Anyone can see that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: no more discussion of the troubles, IRA, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Reform got a lot more share of popular vote than the seats they received. 14% of the vote, 7 percentage points back from the Tories. they got 2/3 of the Tory vote share yet the tories are looking at , what 80-100 seats? Vs single digits for Reform.

I'm not a fan of Reform, but they have a shot at a much improved result in terms of seats next time if they can poach the less liberal more conservative faction of the tories to join them.

Aontu are a bunch of fools led by a husband and wife who, if they had a brain cell between them, they would be lopsided. I used to live in Navan and I can't believe they get elected to office.

Can't they just not run in constituencies where they are costing nationalist seats to unionists by splitting the vote?

If you have exactly 1/3 nationalist, 1/3 unionist and 1/3 unknown/other, there's an argument to make for a referendum. Especially if you look at the trend of nationalism (up) and unionism (down)

I think Reform might struggle to become anything more coherent than a rant and a rabble TBH.

A caution to anyone thinking the Tories are finished is the fact the exact same thing was said about Labour last time out and look at them now. The Tories will image change and come back.

• Advertisement

With SF the biggest party in Stormont, the HoC's and locally I think the pressure will be on Stammer/Hilary Benn to set out the criteria for a BP. Whether they do that or not remains to be seen but nationalism generally will want to see their performance recognised in some way.

For sure. The % share of votes for labour didnt even change that much. Couple of percentage points swing.

What I do think is feasible is a move to the right for the main opposition party. Conservatives have always been a party of two factions, the more liberal and the more conservative. If reform and the more conservative wing of the Conservatives join (either as the new Conservative party or as a new party) they could stay around, albeit not as Reform. Same as UKIP came and went but Farage and that group are still around.

That's a good idea, but unfortunately not in the scope of the GFA. The requirements are already clear. The Good Friday Agreement, states that a poll will be called by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the UK". 

As the great Bertie Ahern said, at the signing of the GFA:
    The British Government are effectively out of the equation and neither the British parliament nor people have any legal right under this agreement to impede the achievement of Irish unity if it had the consent of the people North and South... Our nation is and always will be a 32-county nation. Antrim and Down are, and will remain, as much a part of Ireland as any southern county

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is zero pressure on Starmer to do anything - he has a 170 seat majority and far bigger issues to deal with.

Maybe if SF actually took their seats they could force some pressure, but the whole thing will rather easily be ignored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Labour last time out got about the same vote share as this time out, (just under 40%) only a lot more seats.

The Tories got walloped - with half the votes, and very few seats - compared with 2019. The only thing is their votes went all over the place - just not so much to Labour except where it mattered to oust the Tories.

And oust them, they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Outside of the whole abstention issue the experience of the SDLP in Westminster would nearly force everyone else not to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Setting out what the SoS would consider to provide the appearance that it would be likely for a majority to vote for it certainly isn't a requirement, but it wouldn't be in any way contrary to the GFA either.

I don't think it would be particularly useful either way, but I don't think it is in any way prevented by the GFA.

Taking their seats in the context of the 'pressure' they can bring is a misnomer tbh. That kind of work is not done in the HOC's chamber.

The UK's highest court (Raymond McCord) has said the SoS is not constrained in any way. It specifically ruled that he/she could consider it politically appropriate and order a poll on that basis, if he/she wanted to.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but I'm not sure where you think the pressure will be coming from.

Exactly.

So it's not directly for the UK government to lay out that plan in the HoC and unilaterally decide yes (or no), the mechanism is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

When they do not take their seats in the H of C then their voice will not be heard.

Will probably change some time though, SF have changed on so many other things.

7 (impotent) MPs is the same as 5 years ago.

I don't doubt you likely know more NI politics than I do, but you are massively overestimating how much the Labour government is going to care and there is no reason for them to. NI is an afterthought at the best of times, not least when you are coming into power after a 14 year gap with huge domestic issues to resolve.

I'm actually not over estimating at all. I said I didn't know if Stammer/Benn would respond, but they will definitely come under pressure now that SF have performed in Stormont, HoC and locally. That's the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What would 7 SF MPs sitting in the chamber do? Other than you know, destroy the party and stick their fingers up at those that voted for them.

It's amazing how the anti-SF rhetoric is at once, "they can take their seats to effect change" and "doesn't matter how many seats they get it doesn't affect the status quo".

It won't. Despite the anti-SF rabble itching for them to do so for the "gotcha" moment if they do. Bizarre this has raised its head again. Though not unsurprising.

The EU-UK Brexit agreement is up for renewal next year. The North will be back on the front page of Starmer's to do list before long.

Ok, they won't respond.

They also won't come under any pressure to do so.

Yes, obviously they aren't going to take their seats. However that also means that they can not make the issue have any salience. They can't bring it up in the Commons as frequently as the SNP will bring up independence. It just is what it is.

I'm not suggesting that their policy is wrong, I'm aware of the reasoning behind it and so are their voters. But the decisions get made in Westminster and they won't be there. A new Scottish referendum is far more likely than a border poll, but neither are remotely likely.

The NIP protocol needs to be re-approved by Stormont, which it most likely will be. That's basically it.

Labour have a lot of issues to worry about regarding their relationship with Europe, they won't want NI to be getting in the way of that. It was a good day for SF but I'm not sure how anyone can say the landscape has fundamentally changed - the Unionist/Republican/Unaligned split of MPs has literally not changed.

• Advertisement

No not really. It's likely than most of the unionist third would vote No plus a substantial part of the Others plus a decent part of the Nationalist block. There's many in the latter and all three groupings in the public/ civil service and would prefer the divil you know, that the Dublin divils.

Besides which, such a poll needs an overwhelming Yes to have any success down South - my opinion and much disputed here by other posters. But that's how it is, we ain't buying any pig in a poke, just look at recent referendums.

The unionist vote is fracturing rather than diminishing rapidly.

And coming into power with a huge majority, no need for MPs from the backwaters.

Cameron's reasons for granting a Scottish were not based on parliament speech's but the electoral performance of the SNP.

But the electoral performance of Nationalists hasn't changed whatsoever in NI. You are mistaking a good day for SF for a good day for Nationalism.

Cameron responded to the electoral performance of ONE political party.
    Being the most popular party in Stormont, the UK parliament and locally as well as growing their support by almost 5% gives SF some clout and they will use it. Whether Stammer responds or not is up in the air.
    It would be foolish to think NI is just going to settle down now and go away.
    He is not being asked for Irish Unity, just the spelling out of the criteria for a poll.

Does anyone here seriously think a UI Ref would be won in the North if held next week ?

What is the REAL reason for SF wanting one now ?

I'm puzzled

Sam McBride wrote an interesting piece in last weekend's Sunday Life on SF's abstentionist policy. It carried this comment by Professor Brendan O'Leary:

It would be highly bizarre if SF weren't attending the HoC if their votes were needed to pass legislation to approve a United Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No. Nobody thinks that.

As usual, what SF say and what SF do, or want, are entirely different things.

There won't be a referendum for at least 10 years, and even then only if it is a cast-iron certainty to pass.

Although, today is certainly a big milestone. Combined nationalism has a larger representation than combined Unionism, at all levels of elected office in the 6 Counties. And that ain't nothin'.

This map should be very, very grim viewing for any PUL today.

Yes, the one and only political party advocating independence. It is not a comparable situation. Also, again, SF haven't increased their number of MPs, the DUP just lost MPs to other Unionist politicians and Alliance. And the SNP had a majority government in Holyrood and the overwhelming number of MPs in Westminster. None of these are true for SF.

Like, I'm sorry but it's not up in the air. Starmer is not going to make a single move on a NI border poll. He has a stonking majority and no reason to. Have you paid any attention to him at all? The last thing he will want is such a pointless (to him) distraction. The only interesting question is who he appoints as NI secretary.

Enjoy the result, but it changes nothing.

Do they want one 'now'?

No they don't IMO, MLMD stressed the importance of a proper plan first then a poll recently

• Advertisement

But for Aontú in East Derry it could be grimmer

Stammer will be lobbied, of that I am sure and I don't know how he will respond.
    Being so adamant he won't though is funny given what we have seen in a decade from Westminster.

I don't know how he will respond.

He'll ignore them, as he is utterly easily able to do. I'm sure he will make vague platitudes.

If you have paid any attention to his campaign you would know that he is not about to make any grand and unnecessary moves. He is entirely about stability and incremental progress. The entire point of this Labour government is that they are not as chaotic as the one preceding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The problem for unionists is that in future they are going to be appealing to an electorate that is shrinking year on year. This is why the likes of Peter Robinson were pleading with the party to reach out beyond their traditional base. Those requests have largely fallen on deaf ears. Are they going to move towards the centre ground now, or will the likes of Allister pull them back towards the hardliners?

Regardless of what they do, the pro-unity side need to remain positive and open. Push for the conversation on constitutional change to continue. Normalise the debate.

What chaos/instability would setting out the criteria for a poll cause? It was a Unionist who tried to get them to do that via the courts.

The criteria is already set out. The NI SoS believe that it it likely a vote would pass. There is nothing else needed to set out.

SF have had a good day. A BP is inevitable at some point given the line of history so far. But there is zero chance this Labour government touches the topic at all, because they don't need to and it is an unnecessary distraction. Labour have far, far, far bigger issues to resolve and that will be their focus. I think you betray a lack of understanding of British politics at times, which is what the BP is ultimately beholden to. Labour are going to be maniacally focused on completely different things.

The criteria is already set out. 

Oh come on. You know that is about as useful as an ashtray as criteria.
    Sure Labour have stuff to deal with, but so do others.

It doesn't look good for Unionism. DUP lost one seat to "practical unionism" in UUP, but one to the more aggressive/shortsighted TUV. I doubt it will become a broad church anytime soon, but the process is still going to take some time to get through.

Let me rephrase then,does anyone think,a UI would pass north of the border in the next 5 years? Seriously?

So whats the point in asking for one now?

Clarifying the criteria won't make the criteria be met any sooner and presumably the criteria wouldn't involve a certain no vote as would still be the case in this parliaments life time and beyond

I cannot understand why you'd run it at a certain risk of losing it and of course if you invite the DUP to Dublin castle and say right lads,we're here to build a plan for the new Republic any suggesstions,you know where you'd be told to go

Laa laa land at the moment

• Advertisement

Yes I think if there is a plan presented by the Irish government it has a serious chance of passing.
    The reason for clarifying the criteria is so the ball cannot be continually kicked down the road.

Advertisement