Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'm another who won't eat previously frozen bread. It just never tastes the same to me, as fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭bren2001

i wasn't the first person to suggest it on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭drury..

I do buy the McCambridge and freeze portions for toasting

I seriously doubt most people are freezing sliced pans

Sure ya taking up half your freezer space

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So what do people do with the multiple sliced pans that are in their trolley- you’d hardly eat all three sliced pans at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Buying a lunch every work day for a year. Say you include a drink and a crisps packet. That's 5000 euro from your gross salary. It adds up over a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 25,177 ✭✭✭✭zell12

edit:-

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If you have access to a fridge in work it's better to buy your few sandwich bits for 3 or 4 days and make it there and then. I wouldn't eat a sambo sitting in my bag or a lunchbox for 4 or 5 hours either.

Anyways that's off topic I suppose.

Yeah I see prices creeping up everywhere. At least with most sectors they will be advertised or clearly communicated to the customer. Most Delis are breaking the law by not doing this. Yet for some reason the customer is to blame again 🙄

A slicepan would be something I stop to buy fresh. Along with meat from a butcher. I generally don't freeze either. Freezing is for pizzas and cheap chicken !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭jj880

We buy 6 sliced pan per run to Aldi. Into a chest freezer it goes. Now if we fancy a bacon sambo we would go to the local shop and get a fresh loaf. l have to agree most of the frozen stuff gets toasted or used in the toastie machine. Id be more fond of a wrap and pasta for a pre-prepared lunch for example. Anyway delis need to display prices for everything to show customers some respect in the first instance. If they do this then everything would be fine. I find it bizarre the main debate seems to be the asking / not asking for a price. Shops are acting the bollix because theres more profit in not displaying. Seems pretty obvious.

Only two of us in this house, and one of us doesn't eat bread. I presume people with multiple sliced pans have a couple of kids to make lunches for or plenty of freezer space?

I buy a half size multigrain pan in Aldi every couple of days, probably less than two a week. That does me for my breakfast toast and the odd sandwich I make at home myself.

Only WFO one day a week now, so buy my lunch out on that day. I could not be doing with a sad soggy sandwich made hours earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tesco brand porridge oats 1.5KG are now €1.19, I remember a few years ago they were 60c.

Ya but what percentage are doing this

You give the impression they're all doing it

Nobody said the customer was entirely to blame. Its just not hard to ask for a price and I believe its poor form to ask for something to be made for you to then say no. The shop isn't going to resell it. Its a very different argument. Its poor form on both sides.

You're making a pretty wild assumption that most delis are breaking the law. Its more than likely that you just don't cop that there is a price list. As Ezeoul described earlier when they went and spotted it, usually an A4 sheet somewhere. Even with a price list, I don't think it takes away from the spirit of your point and the shop, in my opinion, should be displaying their prices is an obvious and clear manner.

Again, nobody is saying the blame lies exclusively with the customer. In fact, nobody is saying there is blame. Its not against the law to hand back the item. I just think its poor form to not ask for a price first if you're not willing to pay for it after its made. It wasn't anything more than that.

I'll leave it there tho. There's no need to go round in circles and derail the thread any further. Everyone can have differing views.

You left out the detail that I was careful to specify that the price list I spotted at my local deli this morning did NOT include prices for the salad bar, rolls or sandwiches, it was for individual hot food items only.

Maybe you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭beachhead

I would ask especially if no indication of the price of anything on display.Sure sign of a rip off coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't. As I know the price will be printed on the roll. That's how I know what I will have to pay if I decide to proceed with the purchase. Salad bars are different. A lot of the time prices are given per KG with no scale until you are paying. again that;s deceitful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭beachhead

Could be seeing a business person/family stocking up for their own deli/restaurant.I see it at least once a month-different people with different goods but always excessive quantities

I did actually. Apologies, I wasn't intentionally trying to misquote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EarWig

You may need some 'skills' to view this.

https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/inflation-gen-z-grocery-shopping-costco-sams-club-be2bef88

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's sealed in a bag so no external moisture to take up.

Defrost it, again in the bag, and to all intents and purposes it is identical to fresh bread.

I've never eaten soggy bread in my life.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Short of setting up a nationalised supermarket chain (NOT a good idea) it's up to private businesses to set their prices.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I once saw the owner of my local chinese takeaway coming out of Tesco with a large trolley full to the top of tesco value chickens. (This was back in the days of the navy striped packaging?)

I took comfort in the fact that it was proof he was actually selling chicken in his curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭babyducklings1

I’m on holiday and the French know how to complain about food, first of all they weren’t happy with sugar on the pancake, then said pancake was dry and overcooked. The lad behind the counter redid their order, two or three pancakes. Was just thinking again about this thread and how we don’t tend to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭con747

Maybe you forget the couple of weeks when the Government stated they would take action if the supermarkets didn't start lowering prices for certain products not so long ago. Short lived as it was, more bluster from them though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Out of interest is there much enforcement of signage and pricing

Ya couldn't believe a price in my local svalu

And if its not that they do the trick of advertising a special offer but the item in the offer space isnt on offer , same product but different size and price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭babyducklings1

🤣 oh dear God. Maybe a good reason for seeing the food cooked in front of you ! Heard stuff like this years ago here like waitress spitting in food if you complained. Was shocked.

I knew a pompous wedding guest who sent his dinner back 6 times

How would ya eat that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I freeze bread in portions and I've never noticed any difference in taste or texture once it has defrosted at room temperature. Just take it out of the freezer the night before if you want to make a sandwich in the morning. You can butter the bread, pack the fillings separately and assemble before eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 RadioLocum

I buy the fresh loaf for €3 out of Tesco and freeze it, can’t notice any taste difference.

also latest research is suggesting freezing and then lightly toasting is much healthier for you by substantially lowering GI index.

Ref : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17426743/

Advertisement