Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NI - Westminster Election 2024

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why would they set it out more definitively than they have to? If they do set out parameters they won't be hit in this term anyway.

What you keep missing on is that Labour don't need to do anything whatsoever and therefore they are not going to. You keep talking about pressure but there is none. I would wager there will be zero articles written in British newspapers about the issue, zero time spend on Question Time about it etc etc.

The SNP were putting through bills in Holyrood for holding their own independence referendum anyway - there is nothing remotely similar happening in NI. There simply is no pressure on Starmer to do anything - you are imagining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You think everyone will sit twiddling their thumbs.
    Never works like that.

No I think they will just focus on the other 50 pressing issues they have to deal with. A NI border poll has zero salience to the British public and it will remain so until there is a significant reason to care about it and you're just going to have to make peace with that. You keep talking about pressure without any seeming understanding of what that means in the real political world. The SNP taking over Scotland was huge news in Britain, SF maintaining their seat levels while DUP lose a couple has received about 5 mins in total on the news over the day.

Ignoring NI absent a crisis is pretty much how it has always worked.

Well it will be the job of SF etc to ensure it isn’t ignored.
    That is all I said. Remains to be seen how a Labour government responds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Will the plan include house visits by Keith Barry to Unionist voters?

Or frankly,their middle name (NO) can be sampled in many fields up there this day week,maybe mass hypnosis at those ?

It'll have to be very strong,you're a bit near the border,maybe tie down the spoons

• Advertisement

The plan will set out what the proposers of a UI (the Irish Gov) believe a UI will look like.

Yeah but theres a problem,you'll see it from the top of the pallets next week,burning tri colours

Unionism is a mass movement that doesn't like us papists,so nationalists breeding like rabbits is what a UI looks like

That'll take a while yet

No 'plan' south of the border will persuade unionism

We're already a better Economy and more liberal place than their Mothership by far and that hasn't done the trick...and it should if unionists were normal people

They're not

Sinn Féin know all this and I don't resent them going on about (un realisable) plans and border polls,its their job

Should be no problem creating a new criteria for a border poll with Hilary Benn anyway

He's a very clued in man though and he'll speak truth to SF on when it might be right to hold one and I'll eat my hat if he thinks thats within the next parliament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Might be a good idea to actually talk about the election in this thread instead of rehashing the same back and forths we've all had a heap of times on various Unification related threads, folks?

Basically nothing changed.

The Unionist vote is splitting and the TUV are even worse than the DUP somehow but the general layout of the land is frozen. They're not a million miles off a more radical realignment with Alliance close to take more seats.

Ultimately I don't think Westminster elections matter all that much in NI.

Don’t see any issue discussing the implications of an election myself.
    But whatever.

• Advertisement

I don't think the elections have any substantial short term implication for Unification. Look, I'm not a mod obviously and I'm not actually telling you what you can and can't discuss......but Francie, it's just the same arguments we've all had on the Why I'll Say No thread. We've even been over the, 'If Starmer gets in' from your perspective that it will somehow progress things forwards, that he'll lay out the groundwork etc etc.

I'd like to see it, but I think there's a snowballs chance in hell it is anywhere near a priority for at least this electoral cycle. Obviously a day is a long time in politics and five years is a lifetime, I just don't understand the basic logic behind it.

I'd disagree, there are several huge changes; while the Nationalist/Unionist/Non-Aligned vote has remained relatively stagnant, it was pretty close to several die hard seats changing hands.

The DUP vote has fractured, some of it going to the likes of Jimbo and his lunatic brigade.....but some of it moving towards more moderate Unionism, which is significant.

Paisley Junior losing a seat which has exclusively been held by a man called Ian Paisley since 1970 is certainly significant.

SF holding (and slightly improving) their vote to become the largest NI party through local, stormont and now Westminster elections.

I think they're all topics that are interesting, but it's difficult to spark them up when you pop in after a few hours and it's just pages of the same Unification arguments being rehashed by the same people again.

Fionn, I wasn’t making any argument for Unification. I just posited one of things that might happen now. Happy to leave it having given a view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So, what are your thoughts on Aontú running in East Derry?

Reckon that's the end of Unionist hegemony in that seat when Flegory has curried his last yoghurt at the next GE as you'd expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't see any movement toward a United Ireland based on these results which seem to suggest that project is completely stalled, unless I'm missing something.

Sinn Féin are trying to pretend the opposite despite the Nationalist/Republican vote being a bit lower than in 2019.

As I've been critical of Unionist election pacts, I won't be a hypocrite and say they should've stood down to give the Shinners a better chance, though I'd hope Aontú's poor showing may have them consider whether they want to run next time round.

As I said earlier, five years is a lifetime in politics. God knows what the situation will be for Flegory then. Being frank, he's one of the people I'd most welcome seeing the back of.

To be clear, I do differentiate between specifically negotiating election pacts and shared candidates and e.g. SF realising they have zero chance of being elected in certain areas and choosing not to field a candidate there and hoping/encouraging the people who would have voted for them vote a certain way.

The Nationalist/Republican vote is slightly up from 2019.

SF +4.2

SDLP - 3.8

Aontú -0.2

So +0.2 overall even if we exclude the non-aligned but very largely Nationalist PBP and Green votes which were both up.

Not hugely significant but I've heard a few people repeat this today and I'm not sure where it is coming from.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: we already have threads on the question of a border poll / united Ireland. Back to discussing yesterdays election and stay away from UI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Has there been any analysis of how the results would have looked if STV was used (i.e. eliminate each lowest vote candidate in turn and redisribute their votes)? Obviously you don't know how the preferences would have gone but you could asign each candidate as Nationalist, Unionist or Other and share each eliminated candidates votes equally amongst the remaining so assigned candidates.

Would be interesting to see given several constituencies were very close and "vote splitting" was possibly a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However, unionists got 43% of the vote in yesterday's election, when nationalists weren't that bothered to turn out. Perhaps they will never be persuaded but they do not need to be. Opus Dei members were not persuaded by the Gay marriage referendum, but it still passed.

I think they're all topics that are interesting, but it's difficult to spark them up when you pop in after a few hours and it's just pages of the same Unification arguments being rehashed by the same people again.

That's fair enough, it's just hard to avoid that everything is intrinsically linked to the latter at the end of the day and, for now at least, it seems to remain the main dividing line in NI politics. I would have hoped Alliance could make some bigger inroads to disrupt that, but they are also not that far away.

I'm happy the DUP are in trouble, though it seems split between anti-hardliners and even more hardliners but that's ultimately good for the overall running of NI if it means fewer obstructionists in general. Paisley losing his seat is a positive in some respects, but being replaced by the TUV is not exactly a progressive move. I'm happy the UUP are back with a seat at the table. I just don't see any meaningful change in the landscape in NI on the basis of this election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

coming to this a bit late. 

My immediate thoughts from a moderate unionist perspective- pos and neg

Negative: 

unionism losing a seat to Alliance is bad enough, but losing it to the most arrogant, difficult listen to, Alliance member of them all.  I would have rather Naomi Long or Stephen Farry had won their seats.

Unionist vote fractured across so many parties

Difficult to see a unionist ever winning FST again - although never say never

TUV seat win - This party cannot be the future - but I still enjoyed seeing him oust Paisley and defy the pundits

Positive:

Overall vote for the unionism extends its lead further on vote for nationalism (this figure also masks the fact that many who vote for nationalist parties will not vote for a United Ireland)

Sinn Fein vote decreases

Paisley ousted - An arrogant nasty politician

The pundits hadn’t a clue 

While it damages the headline media outcome, there is something very Presbyterian about unionism having our seven seats split across four parties 😀

SNP seat wipeout can only be good - we have seen it held up for years as a model by sf

So all in all, not much change.  We will never really have normal politics until we can have swings like GB.   As my dad told me 50 years ago ‘ you could put a red white and blue or green white and gold rosette on a donkey and it would get elected in Northern Ireland’

you could put a red white and blue or green white and gold rosette on a donkey and it would get elected in Northern Ireland’

Probably the most I've ever agreed with you on something here.

I'd guess something we've both been guilty of ourselves. I've talked multiple times about how when I lived in FST, I voted for SF on many occasions.....not because I wanted to vote SF, but because it was the only way to block the Unionist candidate for around the last 20 odd years. I'm not very familiar with Diana Armstrong not living there any more, but jaysus when the UUP stood someone there, it often seemed like we got the absolute worst of the party. I would've voted for an inanimate carbon rod if it meant stopping Tom Elliot taking a seat (and I'm sure Tom got an awful lot of votes from people thinking the same of Michelle Gildernew for example).

SF vote decreases?.....Their vote share percentage increased by over 4% when they stood in 4 fewer constituencies. I think you might be looking into that one a bit too much.

Overall Nationalist voteshare is up very marginally, so I'm curious about what you're basing your numbers on Unionist vote extending it's lead on?

Even the SNP wipeout would say more about the Scots wanting to give the Tories a bloody nose and internal SNP controversy than any support for or against Scottish Independence by my reckoning.

I do think it is pretty foolish to try and extrapolate anything on trends for support for Unification or remaining part of the Union (or indeed pretty much anything else) from a FPTP Westminster election result. Beyond the optics of SF saying they're now the largest NI party at all 3 levels, not much change from the Nationalist side. The DUP collapse and further fracturing of the Unionist vote definitely leaves Unionism looking vulnerable in at least 3 more seats going forward. If Flegory had missed out and SF had increased their seat count, the optics would be pretty disastrous for Unionism, so be glad for that hundred odd votes I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 buckmulligan16

Sorry to harp on about a UI/independence(depending on how you see it)if Labour do as they say they will do which includes closer ties with the EU I can see even less appetite for a UI .

Ironic that the UK is perhaps looking for a more conciliatory approach to the EU whilst the rise of the right in Europe is a possible threat to the EU.

Given that most of us on the Nationalist side have argued that Brexit increased the chances/brought up the timeline for Unification, it would be pretty difficult to argue that closer alignment with the EU wouldn't at least partially counteract that in fairness.

I haven’t checked either of these stats but they are some of the many I was basing my post on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The problem with raw number comparisons like this is that you can't easily say how much of the difference is due to difference in overall turnout, how much is due to voters changing allegiance, and how much is a product of electoral strategies.

SF ran candidates in only 14 consituencies this time around, so all other things being equal their vote - both as a numerical total and as a percentage of the total vote — was likely to decline. They knew that, but they also knew that vote totals are not what matters most in an election. Their strategy delivered the results they wanted, so they'll be happy with it.

Ingram is comparing the total of votes secured in 18 constituencies in 2017 with the total secured in 14 constituencies in 2024. That comparison doesn't have the signficance he seems to think it does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem with raw number comparisons is that the vast number of people have no proper understanding of raw numbers. Nor do the general public understand the basic concepts of statistics. In fact one could say that basic mathematics is a foreign country to them.

If they did, FPTP would be long consigned to the bin. Thatcher won three consecutive elections with 43% or so of the popular vote each time and introduced swingeing far right policies - particularly restraining the power of Unions - especially the Miners.

Her policies were the reason for the current shortage of houses to buy or rent, and for the huge cost of houses. This delighted the home owners, but beggared those who did not own a house and could not afford one.

She sold off all the council houses at huge discounts, and basically none have been built since. The entire housing market has been privatised when previously 30% or so of houses were council houses. It is reckoned that 30% to 35% of households need subsidised housing.

You'll note in the second image, they're quoting vote share of the total electorate.....in an election that had a reduced turnout and in which SF didn't stand in 4 constituencies.

I suspect the two fellas posting those tweets understand just fine the weakness of just looking at raw numbers and are very intentionally presenting them in that manner.

As I said previously, analysing raw numbers in a FPTP election without consideration for any strategic moves (SF intentionally pushing an undefined but certainly non zero amount of the Nationalist vote towards the non-aligned APNI in Lagan Valley, North Down and Belfast East as an example) is a totally pointless endeavour. To be clear, I think it is equally pointless when trying to paint a huge SF win as somehow being a victory for Unionism or trying to interpret it in such a way to imply sufficient support for a border poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Statistics can be misused, you could say for instance that the average voter had one breast and one testicle. This would be true, but useless.

This was not a "huge win" for SF, it was business as usual, not least because SF were not too bothered about Westminster elections. In terms of a border poll it does not say much either, Eastwood and Long got plenty of nationalist votes, the lowest turnouts were in Foyle and West Belfast, those places will absolutely turn out for the border poll.

• Advertisement

I agree it’s not scientific, but bbc were quoting a percentage for sf which was nonsense as they were giving percentage of sf vote v constituencies they stood in. Obviously they had very little support in the constituencies they stood aside in.
    but the other points stand (if accurate) ie unionist parties extended their lead on nationalist parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So after that election SF are now the largest party at Westminister, Stormont and local elections in Northern Ireland. What's next for them in the 6 counties?

not exactly. The DUP are the ni party with the largest representation on the green benches.
    in total 8 unionist, 2 nationalist and 1 other

Just interesting. How many votes were required to elect an MP. 

1. Labour Party: 34,339

2. Sinn Féin: 35,714

3. Democratic Unionist Party (DUP): 37,500

4. **Plaid Cymru**: 66,667

5. Scottish National Party (SNP): 80,000

6. Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP): 55,000

7. Liberal Democrats: 84,444

8. Conservative Party: 87,603

9. Ulster Unionist Party (UUP): 100,000

10. Alliance Party of Northern Ireland (APNI): 150,000

11. Other parties/Independents: 125,000

12. Green Party: 300,000

13. Reform UK: 416,667

Yes, because your government insists on FPTP voting. It isn't, 'interesting', it's more of a feature than a bug.

The numbers above are pretty typical because of how FPTP works. The winners of the most seats inherently have fewer votes per seat.....because 100% of the votes in the seats you're not elected in go to waste. If they've won more seats, then far fewer of their votes are, 'wasted' on not getting them seats. To take a more extreme example; a party who stood in every constituency and got a handful of votes but zero seats would have a requirement of infinity votes to elect someone based on the (inherently flawed) maths demonstrated in your post.

If you're making an argument against FPTP, I'm in total agreement. It's a stupid system. If you're using it as a way of pretending that Unionism/The Tories/Reform UK or whoever somehow really 'won', well that's just silly. A different voting system wouldn't magically have the same voting pattern so you can't just take FPTP voting numbers and work them into what a proportionally representative system would chuck out.

settle yourself now! I wasn’t making any points - just interesting.
    I would have automatically knee-jerked, like you, to change system as well, but there are pros and cons I heard very well outlined on radio yesterday.

Here is a summary of the benifits:

The First-Past-The-Post (FPTP) electoral system has several advantages that can be compelling arguments for its use:

1. Simplicity and Clarity

FPTP is straightforward for voters to understand and participate in. Each voter selects one candidate, and the candidate with the most votes in a constituency wins. This simplicity can lead to higher voter turnout and fewer spoiled ballots since the voting process is easy to grasp and execute.

2. Stable Governments

FPTP often results in a single party securing a majority of seats, leading to stable governments. This majority allows the winning party to implement its policies effectively without the need for coalitions, which can be unstable. Stable governments can focus on long-term policies and governance.

3. Clear Accountability

With FPTP, it is easy to identify who represents each constituency, and voters can hold their representatives accountable. If constituents are dissatisfied with their MP’s performance, they can vote for a different candidate in the next election. This direct link between MPs and their constituencies encourages MPs to be responsive to local concerns.

4. Excludes Extremist Parties

FPTP tends to exclude smaller and extremist parties from gaining representation in the legislature. Since only the candidate with the most votes wins, parties with a small, dedicated following are less likely to gain seats, which can lead to a more moderate and centrist political landscape.

5. Encourages Broad-Based Politics

Parties are incentivized to appeal to a broad spectrum of voters rather than focusing on niche issues or extreme positions. To win a constituency, candidates must attract a plurality of votes, which generally means appealing to a wider audience.

6. Geographical Representation

FPTP ensures that each constituency has a specific representative in Parliament. This can strengthen the relationship between MPs and their local areas, ensuring that regional issues and perspectives are represented in the national government.

7. Efficient and Quick Results

Counting votes and declaring results is quicker and less complex compared to proportional representation systems, where votes might need to be redistributed or multiple rounds of counting might be required. This efficiency can be crucial in maintaining public trust and engagement in the electoral process.

8. Reduction in Political Fragmentation

FPTP discourages the proliferation of small parties, leading to fewer parties in the legislature and often resulting in clearer policy choices for voters. This can lead to more coherent and decisive governance, as the ruling party has a clear mandate.

In summary, while FPTP has its criticisms, such as potentially disproportionate representation and marginalising smaller parties, its advantages lie in simplicity, stability, accountability, and fostering broad-based politics. These benefits can make it an effective and practical choice for electoral systems in many democracies.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your copy paste.....did you pop on to ChatGPT again?

Fortunately I was already aware of the pros and cons of FPTP voting and didn't need ChatGPT to explain it to me before coming to the conclusion that it is f*cking stupid.

You can't have it both ways, whinging that SF and Labour got more seats-per-vote than your chosen parties and then wrapping yourself up in a flag and getting defensive when it's pointed out as a specific weakness of your government's chosen voting system.

As I said, it's a feature not a bug. Those 150,000 votes per seat for APNI.....that's your, 'keeping the extremists out' in action.

Let me rephrase then:

So after that election SF have now won the most seats at Westminster, Stormont and local elections in Northern Ireland. What's next for them in the 6 counties?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Take up their seats in Westminster.

Now they are the largest party, negotiate what they want and need to go into the HoC.

Not gonna happen.

Even if that were to ever happen (unlikely), It wouldn't be when the largest party has a massive majority.

With 8 seats out of 650, I'm not really sure what negotiating power you think they have, Sam? I don't think even with 100 seats they'd be able to negotiate what they would want to get them to sit in the HoC (I suspect it would result in them not staying in HoC for very long).

I genuinely think it would be political suicide for them at this point in time, and I can't see any upside whatsoever from a SF perspective.

• Advertisement

If the pledge of allegiance was re worded ala Stormont,SF would be seated in Westminster

They have achieved as much if not more for their electorate as 'abstenionists' and that is reflected in their vote. They also have a serious tilt at EL and Foyle next time out. Eastwood's majority was seriously reduced this time. A slightly better day for SF could have seen them take nine seats.
    People fool themselves into thinking that abstentionism means SF take the money and twiddle their thumbs, they don't, they are doing all the representative work others are doing in Westminster.

Didn't Eastwood 'borrow' unionist votes too in 2019 ? Which he lost this time

Lost much more than that. He lost 17.4% of his vote while the SF candidate gained 8.7%

There was in effect just over 3000 votes in it.

They'd have had to take all of pbp and Aontú's vote though

Its unlikely they're going to get alliance votes and they certainly won't take any unionist votes

Thats another thing that has to happen,Belfast and Peadar need to kiss and make up

I would think they reckon they can take some of Colum's vote.
    Eastwood out polled even John Hume in 2019, now down over 10,000 votes on that performance, SF's best day was 18,000+ votes.
    So they won't necessarily need to eclipse Aontu or PBP, just find the right candidate and Duffy seems to be that person. A seat for the taking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1 it's very hard for voters who don't support the candidate likely to win or be runner up. With a STV you can take a third option without diluting the vote against the candidate you can't stand.

2. The UK has disproven this how many times recently ?

3. Safe seats have no accountability.

4. There's a lot more Extremists in Westminster than the Dáil, see also Mrs May and the DUP

5. As opposed to consensus based politics ?

6. SNP like the IPP were safely ignored because of the huge majorities normally produced by FPTP.

7. It took until yesterday for the final result Parliament gets closed down 25 working days before an election.

8. Wow. There's three different Unionist parties in Westminster.

So apart from being relatively quick to count which isn't really relevant during a time in which parliament sit there's no advantages to FPTP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here we go again.

Why can't people accept that their mandate is to NOT take up their seats?

my goodness. Where did that personal attack come from. Has something upset you tonight?

I do find it really strange why chatgpt upsets some older people so much. If you choose not to use chatgpt, google, books or even a car, then that’s entirely up to you, but don't expect all of us to go back to the stone age

…..and it wasn’t a direct cut and paste..

Back to my post. I implied none of the nonsense you suggest. There is next to know difference in the votes required by sf or the dup anyhow

I honestly reckon what is next for them is what’s happening to them in the south. They have maxed out their potential, get ready for the dip

• Advertisement
Advertisement