Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Executive Officer 2024 Competition (Nationwide)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

2023 was maths, verbal reasoning, situational awareness and a short essay about management skills if I remember correctly. Then interview obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I kept most of my relevant educational bits for interview, it was good for showing continuous professional development (part of one of the capabilities).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FunkyChicken24

Just discovered this link on the EO Dublin 2023 thread - there is a link at the bottom for EO Self Assessment Tests - I haven't tried them yet but they may be helpful. Also as PmMeUrDogs says there is mention of an essay as part of the assessment, I haven't read too far in that htread yet but it looks like the test may be timed and that you have 30 mins to write the essay which is approx 3-400 words.

Last year there were 4 different tests, each one had to be done in one sitting and was timed but you didn't have to do all 4 together, you can split them up.

There is a numerical or maths test but we only need a pass mark and the score you get doesn't count towards your OOM. Seemingly a pass mark is 9 correct answers according to last year's thread and you are trying to get as many done as possible our of 30, very few people would get all 30 done in the time so it is advisable to skip any that you are struggling on immediately and move to the next one. Again, as per the thread from last year.

There are management type situational scenarios to analyse too which may be what you are writing the essay about, that hasn't been made clear yet from the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭sojustrutz

Just noticed on the application form for this (and the CO ) in work history it says 'Key responsibilities and achievements'. I had just been writing key my duties / responsibilities for each role and had missed the achievements part. Probably a stupid question but do I have to give a specific achievement for each role, does this need to in STAR or can I do it in bullet point, how many 'achievements' required for each role? Thanks for any responses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭claregal1

Anyone else having difficulty with the word count? For one of my employments I have 110 words in so far and it won't allow me to input more even thought it says max 800 words ? Its now saying I have 23 characters left. Hope this makes sense !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hey'Tll probably send out an email a few days after the closing date "due to higher than expected applications for this post" and then request either a form listing your compatancies or that you complete a psychometric test.

The results of which will determine if you get called for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Deniseb24

Hi all! I left a comment on this and then said no need to reply BUT I'm asking again because I feel I left a bit of detail out that might not allow me. I am an EO at the min and in a professional position so I was hoping to use this comp to move out of it as mobility is blocked. The info I left out is that I am currently on probation. Will this stop me from using this as a way to move? Sorry for the repeat question! Any help at all is appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I asked my partner who is an EO and she told me that you can only apply for positions higher than you are, so I think mobility is the only option when it's not blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭shmeee

You sure?

I've seen CO's & EO's move location after applying for the open panel. And they stayed as CO & EO, didn't go from CO to EO.

And some didn't even change their location. Just wanted out of the department they were placed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Deniseb24

That's what I was told. Internally might be an issue but open wouldn't be. So confused. I might email PAS and see for sure 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

That's what I'm told but she might be confusing it with the internal comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭crinkley

You definitely can apply for the open - its called open for a reason it doesnt matter that you're blocked from mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Anybody can apply for the open stream, only COs and TCOs with 2 years service can apply for the interdepartmental stream. Being on probation does not affect your ability to apply for the open.

Email PAS to double check but it's an open panel, so all you need is a LC level 4 to apply. Irrelevant that you are already in the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CivilServiceNew

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭MaryKaye79

a serving EO can certainly apply for the open competition, lots do this to change department instead of waiting for mobility

a serving EO cannot apply for the interdepartmental competition, you have to be a grade below EO to apply for the interdepartmental competition

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bella1307

I wish I had seen this before I had submitted my application. Very low numbers outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

WFH isn't a certainty, too risky for me to pick Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coop142

I know it wouldn’t be for certain but does anyone have any idea of the timeframe of when people might start/ interviews etc. if the assessment is in August I was just wondering do you think interviews and job offers would be completed for the first or second batch by the end of October? Or would it be later. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I think it's possible to amend your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rcva

Does anyone have information or a link which has information about pay increments/ scale transferring over if you are coming from the public service (council)?

The first few in the OOM may have interviews towards end of 2024 but hard to say, like all these panels - they move at a snails pace.

When you get your OOM after assessment, you'll have a better idea. For example, OOM 40 in areas that have placed 10 or so are only getting called to interview now from the 2022 panel, 2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bella1307

Oh perfect, thank you, I’ll take a look! 😊

Thank you! I’ve read through it, sorry I could be missing it but is there anywhere that refers to carrying my increment from assistant staff officer in the county council over as an EO in the civil service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just to note the Forsa link is missing the June 1st increment.

DELETED

Jesus that’s a long wait so! Thanks a million. Applying for Dublin so hopeful it’ll be a bit quicker but doesn’t seem too likely! I’ll wait and see how things go after the assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jellybelly33

Is anyone having problems with word count. It's saying 800 but mine stops at about 120? Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭crinkley

it’s 800 characters not 800 words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

I was able to transfer service from the public service previously, ASO is an analogous grade to EO but you will need to apply to have it recognised and get statements of service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jellybelly33

Duh... thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Larryduff2018

Hi Claregal1 don't get characters mixed up with word count. It's 800 characters not 800 words. It's tight to fit everything in, I'm in the process myself doing it.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Even Dublin can be fairly slow if you don't place amazingly, last year the scoring was very tight and a few points here and there could easily push you back a couple hundred slots lol.

I feel sorry for anyone who wants to get a spot in Carlow or Monaghan or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

You can also keep an eye on companies like Staffline who sometimes run competitions for specific departments. If you are set on a department with good WFH for example you can get lucky that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Mytimetoshine22

Hi yes there is im an Assistant Staff Officer in the County Council .I'm oh secondment in Civll Service so if I get it I'll just go onto next point of scale .it's the tests I'm hoping to do well in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Mytimetoshine22

Aso more less analogous but you get about 3 thousand more as an Eo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Hi just saw your post there if moving from EO in civil service to CO in County council any idea what way the salary is worked out best of luck in your assessment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 slave77

I went from Local Authority to Civil Service a few years ago. Make sure to get a letter from your LA HR confirming your increment date and point on scale when you finish up. You provide this to new HR and they will add your service and calculate/apply your new point on scale. It might take a while but will get there eventually. There was a DPER circular about it, if I can find it i will post a link for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Dublin.85

For reasonable accommodation, it seems to be. For a proper disability like someone who is deaf or blind or in a wheelchair. I suffer with a bad back and just require a proper back support chair. Should I mention it in the reasonable accommodation? I didn't when going for CO but once I was in I asked for a chair and got it. Anyone have similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 slave77

Are you supposed to go right back to leaving cert in employment/ed history, I have 20 years of education and employment done, does anyone know if this will suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You Have to submit a medical or psychological report with your application for reasonable accomodations. And when you say proper disability as opposed to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Newbie12345The

when your being onboarded - your given a health and character form and you just write it on the form any health issues

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't mean for that to sound bad. Proper I meant, an obvious serious disability. I don't feel my bad issue warrants being classes as a disability but if I require a particular chair, then maybe in their eyes it is.

Great thank you.

Yes leaving cert seems to be important. I don't understand it. People I know have had 20+ years of work experience in good jobs but they were still asked to supply their leaving cert results. Seems silly to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LoserNEET

Are the aptitude tests online more difficult than the ones in real life? I've done the practice tests and performed very badly on them. I craped a bare pass on verbal and mathematical reasoning and failed the
    categorising information and error checking ones. I tried the error checking one a few times with only an incremental increase in the score. I have a PhD (in arts and humanities) and an MSc but have always done terribly on aptitude tests. Are the actual tests like these and does it require a more rational, facts and figures type mind to pass them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement