Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Water for Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes in fact the Southern region is the richest in the country.

Who would you get to build it! Anyway the rest of the country might be happy to help with that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

Dublin and the East Coast is hyper developed when you consider that the 2 largest cities outside of Dublin are not connected with a motorway between them.

Ireland for such a small place is too centralised with no power being devolved to the provinces.

Dublin is not able to keep growing as it is, of course another approach is needed. The water is just one symptom of the problem. I mean on a rain lashed island Dublin can't get enough water to meet the demand nearby!

As for the benefit of one small town (Shannon) that's just willful ignorance or a false narrative. Shannon airport benefited the whole west coast and saved Dublin airport from being too busy. Something else that could be revisited but those who make the decisions are in Dublin, I guess.

As it stands Americans mainly fly into Dublin stay in busy hotels and bus to the Cliffs of Moher etc. on day trips! Mad when they could be there form the start. Not to mention the loss to the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's because Dublin is a top tourist attraction. Americans want to see the capital, then it's a very short trip (by American standards) to Mayo. People don't want to fly in to Shannon, they want to fly in to Dublin, that's where the business is and it's the cultural epicentre of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ok, let's use your own wiki link:

According to 2022 figures, the GDP of Greater Dublin was approximately $244 billion,[8] representing over 40% of Irish GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Dublin

And according to the Dublin Chamber of Commerce:

The population of the Greater Dublin Area is 2.1 million as of 2022 Census, accounting for approximately 40.5% of the total population of Ireland.

https://www.dublinchamber.ie/About-Us/Economic-Profile-of-Dublin

I'm guessing you have forgotten in your home-town chest puffing that Apple and Pfizer are in Cork.

Busman didn't put those links up, but anyway, no, if you read back on my posts I said that the cities support the hinterlands in Ireland. Cork is no exception, a powerhouse supporting the region. Cork County and Dublin are exceptional for business and generating money.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Chest puffing getting the better of you methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've stated multiple times that the M20 is an essential piece of infrastructure, but that changes nothing in relation to the poor return Dubliners get on their taxes.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Saved Dublin Airport from being too busy… lol… I've heard all sorts of delusion now.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

One MEP candidate is running with the slogan 'There's more to Ireland than Dublin', so true. If ever there was a metric that shows a city has outgrown itself it would be that it needs water from across the country! Maybe in a Desert but on a rain soaked Island!

That's somewhat depressing to be honest. As a nation we sometimes have the maturity of a ten year old.

Anyway, I'll wait for planning submission to go in.

That sort of stuff goes down well with a certain audience unfortunately, and the whole country suffers as a result.

Yes. I'm sure that the environmental engineers will find a protected species or two along the proposed route.

There is a lot of truth in it. As things stand the whole country suffers from an over centralized economy based on an ever expanding Dublin city.

It isn't only Frank McDonald that writes about it..

https://www.mmcqs.com/post/our-inside-secrets-1

Post edited by saabsaab on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just to put this assertion that Dublin carries the economic burden of the rest of the country on it's uncomplaining, heroic shoulders, to rest.

I emailed the CSO asking for a breakdown of public expenditure by region, and received this reply:

I contacted our National Accounts section again and it appears that they missed your email first time around. Apologies for this and the subsequent delay in responding.

They have just advised me that unfortunately the CSO doesn’t have a regional breakdown of any expenditure data.

So I'll regard all claims to know that Dublin subsidises the rest of the country as being false, given even the CSO doesn't have the requisite data to base such claims on.

That's good work and fair play to you for going the extra mile to follow that up.

Without the requisite data we too must ignore simple claims that Dublin gets everything, and the country outside the M50 suffers.

I see what you did there very clever! However, the issues such as water, traffic etc. are there and feeding the monster won't cure it.

Looks like the Government has given the go ahead for this madness. Didn't see it on the local media?

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c288ewj3831o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

The population growth has been massive in recent decades, particularly in the greater Dublin area. Unless this changes, people need water. Its good that the government are taking action rather than just allowing a system of water shortages to develop (or maybe that should be worsen?)

• Advertisement

Nobody other than a few begrudging cranks are going to complain about supplying water to half the population. Of course it got cabinet approval, we've being trying to tell you this for throughout the thread, even your own survey told you that.

The massive expansion of Dublin is the problem. Bring development to the resource not the other way around.

Agreed, we need a swing city. A counteracting economic & cultural hub. However this thread was set up to discuss the success of Shannon water to the East.

The counties mentioned to you numerous times still need water and it will come from the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't dismiss all the concerns as the work of a few begrudging cranks.

The Shannon still needs to be looked after and that task currently falls to the people in it's catchment.

They reap the benefits of the river IE. tourism, leisure activities.

They also have to put up with the downsides IE.flooding, restrictions on agriculture to protect water quality.

It would seem only fair that Dublin and other areas outside the catchment who want the water should have some responsibility for the river.

Absolutely the Shannon needs to be protected and looked after. It's a jewel of the nation and the nation will look after it & be responsible for it. There are already lots of eyes on the river, the Shannon Flood Risk State Agency Co-ordination Working Group comes under the chairmanship of the OPW in Dublin. Its members are at Chief Executive Officer level or equivalent, representing the following State Agencies: OPW, ESB, IFI, DHLGH, Bord na Móna, EPA, Irish Water and Local Authorities, represented by the CCMA Waterways Ireland, Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, so lots of agencies looking after the Shannon.

A maximum of 2% of the average flow will be extracted from a river that's currently overflowing and flooding houses every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

The people in the catchment area of the Shannon 'look after' it as much as I look after the Liffey.

We can certainly agree on the importance of the Shannon.

Over the years the proliferation of agencies you mention has often proved more of a hindrance than a help.

My point though was that the involvement of various interests, local communities, environmental groups etc. in the abstraction process is to be welcomed not dismissed.

You probably know that the volumes proposed for abstraction will have no effect on flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

No they're just cranks, the spokesperson for the 'protection' committee said they should take the water from the Grand canal instead ffs

Involving some environmental groups would be OK. Local communities, not too sure about that one. Could turn into a series of groups looking for cash.

• Advertisement

You may have heard of The Aarhus Convention.

The principle of public participation in environmental descion making is well established in the EU.

It doesn't mean that the same weight is given to frivolous or impractical interventions as to more considered or sensible interventions.

We are talking about access to justice here not a charter for cranks.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/the-case-for-public-participation

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/the-case-for-public-participation

Advertisement