Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There is zero proof that Denmark's approach has done anything other than push people towards other EU countries.

Taking that approach at an EU level would only be investing further in deterrent policies which we already spend heavily on and which are failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-eviction-6426814-Jul2024/

Proof positive we are just bringing people in to live off benefits in perpetuity

If there is no capacity for them to live independently after their time in Direct provision this is literal blatant evidence that the country has no capacity left to absorb these people

Actually a joke - the exact same people shìtting their jocks whining about direct provision and how it should be abolished now whining that people are being moved on from direct provision.

All lacking even a shred of insight to realise that maybe they were actually just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well if you're even half right, that sort of demographic change is shocking and serves to prove that Irish society and culture is being continually diluted. Many of us say enough and too many.

As to the issue of housing lists, how exactly do you think it's going to go down when young Sally Ward with her two kids, living at home in a crowded house, waiting patiently to get her own place - is told to go wait since some chancers from Morocco, Algeria, Georgia wherever are being turfed out of their IPAS gaff and need to be prioritised over Sally??????

Do you know much about social housing lists here?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

In instances where they are implemented policies of deterrence are effective - Sweden has reduced the rate of asylum applications by implementing policies of deterrence consistent with the Danish model. If the policies implemented by the EU and by extension Ireland presently are that rigid, then Ireland may as well implement the policies as practised in Denmark - according to you there would be little difference (except in effectiveness)!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭briangriffin

Do you think all asylum seekers are fleeing war and persecution? What percentage are genuine asylum seekers?

How many asylum seekers came to Ireland fleeing extreme poverty and when did we start granting asylum to people fleeing extreme poverty?

How many people do you think we can grant asylum to annually let's say for the next 5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭LongfordMB

In a way you could argue at least jack is being honest (or more likely, politically naive)

Like where do people think these illegals go after direct provision? Rent on the open market? No chance. Vast majority unskilled, many illiterate in their own language,never mind English.

Every single last one of them will be getting a social house eventually. Might take them 10 years of direct provision before that happens, but it will happen. Irish people will just be making way I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭engineerws

I'm still under 50 and from a generation that's seen a huge shift in the ethnicity of Irish people. I've many friends who were born outside Ireland. I'm guessing you're over 50 and maybe missed some of the craic you might of had in your twenties with those from abroad.

I recognise we have issues with immigration but could not bring myself to vote for Niall Boylan due to his vulgarity and generally obnoxious behaviour. A refugee that has been granted citizenship is an Irish citizen.

Ireland has changed and I don't see a revolt happening over the ethnicity of a social housing recipient. The thing that seems to set people off is when a load of people are dropped off in an area without consultation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was listening to some of the DP people who are being asked to move out yesterday, they were working years and I assume had minimal costs/expenses while living in DP. You'd think they have a decent nest egg built up, know still hard to rent and harder to buy. But just seems very much that they expect it all handed to them (again the ones I heard interviewed)

Ireland has changed considerably over my lifetime and it's time to halt/ drastically slow down that rate of change. What makes any country is it's own unique culture & people. Instead of guarding our identity, government and business forces here seem hell bent on accelerating change. We'll end up in some mish mash of cultures, ethnicity and religions and will be no different from other small states that have allowed themselves to be morphed. We may be an open economy, that doesn't mean we need to be an open society. Watch other European states who at least attempt to guard their own national identities and cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭uptherebels

which parts of our "culture" are being diluted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭engineerws

Our kids do Irish dancing. The teachers try to promote Irish dancing and everyone is welcome.

I've felt sorry to see some of the old church based interconnectedness phasing out. However, your notion of guarding culture seems mad. I suspect you are not involved in cultural activities.

Maybe go out and volunteer and do something positive for Irish culture instead of moaning on this forum all the time.

Post edited by engineerws on

How quite presumptive of you. I can assure you that much of my time and interests are devoted to aspects of our heritage. That's why I care about it, if you think for the moment..

I'll pick just one common situation. I could walk into any bar, shop, waiting room whatever, see other Irish people and knock up a chat with them. About things we all have in common and know about since birth.

Sure you can try and chat with some 'non nationals' and it may or may not work. It's not normal for some of them. And when you do exchange a few words, it's like mixing oil & water. Unless they've grown up here, they often just haven't a clue - they look blankly if you mention something that Irish people will know something about or have an opinion on.

Before ye tell me that it might be to my advantage to learn more about them and what interests them, if I want to do that I'll go visit their countries and hopefully experience their culture in the real.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭LongfordMB

Im guessing your "friends born outside ireland" came here legally and support themselves right? And didn't hand their passport to a human trafficker mid flight? So slightly different yeah?

It's the illegal and totally uncontrolled nature of the situation that is the nub of the issue. Asylum system is being abused both by economic migrants and by nefarious characters like criminals, mentally ill etc to get into the country and stay in the country. Look at the north african who stabbed kids on parnell street. We as irish citizens have an absolute right to filter those people out but it's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭Augme

Thankfully very few people want what you want. You just need to accept most Irish people don't think like you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Joins duscussion 1000 pages in and talk about their friend in work who speaks fluent english and contributes to country and enters legally

These people should read through the debate on this thread properly before comment.

Stop justifying illegal mass migration to small country with a small population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The message here is clear ….it's been shown, and we're sleep walking into it

https://x.com/i/status/1808878101918618033

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BolloxChop

And what's wrong with that? How come other counties like Japan, China, Nigeria can have homogeneous populations but only white counties HAVE to be multicultural?

What's wrong with being racist? I mean if I have explain that to you then I doubt it will change your mind.

It's not about having to be multicultural, it's about having no problem with it. And the vast majority of Irish people have no problem with it, barring a tiny small percentage. Let that tiny percentage seem to think they should dictate to everyone else how Ireland should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

I stopped reading after "Our kids do Irish Dancing". Ridiculous.

Ah yes, the old racist chestnut. If you think only a small percentage of people are the only ones with concerns about their communities, towns, villages and cities having the demographics changed with middle eastern people and Africans then you're in some bubble.

But again, racists like you have a fixation and absolute hatred for white people and all things white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Is there anything that can work is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm not sure of the true extent to which the UK's policies were pushing migrants here but this might help our situation somewhat with the push factor gone.

No, the only one who's in a bubble is you. I've heard people whinging about how Irish people are so against what's happening in their local communities all across Ireland yet when it came to the recent elections nearly every party and person pushing that agenda rejected by Irish voters.

The only one who sees a person's skin colour as being a problem is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yup hopefully it will help stop these illegals coming from NI . I wouldnt be surprised if the ones that are over here now head back and our Government should get a bus and bring them back……

If that happened the likes of Augme would stop the bus just so they can continue to turn this place into a multicultural wasteland..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Well I think that demonstrates how right minded most of the Irish electorate are that even if they have some misgivings about how immigration is being handled by the government they still aren’t going to throw the baby out with the bath water by voting for a bunch of complete spacers ahead of actual intelligent people. The problem people have is with perception of government policy rightly or wrongly rather than actual hate for other races/ creeds etc.

Better than stopping the bus to hang them from the nearest tree.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how the mind of a left winger works. Truly staggering...

Advertisement