Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quiet Place: Day One

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was alright. Definitely not bad, but didn't find it particularly great either - performances were solid, story was OK, but I couldn't really escape from the sense that it was a story that absolutely didn't need telling at all.

I really don't think it's something that lends itself to prequels and spinoffs. It worked perfect in the first movie - the concept was quite original and so well done you didn't really care much about how everything got to that point.

But there is a limit I think before they end up making a mess of it trying to expand and explain something that isn't all that well suited to either.

I'd probably compare it to what Solo is to Star Wars. Decently made, but no-one really asked for it, it adds virtually nothing to the already established franchise, and it's definitely inferior to what inspired it.

So, overall I would say worth a watch, not a bad movie by any means, but wouldn't hold a candle to the other two.

I also thought the end scene was oddly daft, like it was just shoehorned it for some sort of perceived "cool" factor. Of all the ways she could chose to go, and she would have any choice at her fingertips…..she decides to be casually torn asunder by a carnivorous alien?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Thank you.

Is that all? Did the aliens chase them or did Eric see something?

I had the feeling that I had missed something important.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's a bit that felt like a Setting Up Lore For A Future Film nugget - when Eric finds Frodo in the building site he's licking at some weird fleshy mass, and then we see several aliens come over to start eating the mass, encouraged by a bigger alien that looked like a different type. This bigger alien then hears a sound Eric makes while trying to get Frodo and ambles over to investigate, but its attention is diverted by a different sound and Eric is able to grab Frodo and make a stealthy escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just back from this and I too hadn't a rashers what was going on in *that * scene. Said to my boyfriend afterwards that I felt like I'd missed about 10 minutes either before or after, it was so "Huh?"

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Absolute boring crap, felt like TWD when that turned sour. Explained nothing further about the invaders. Also clear woke undertones, the first 3 people in the movie to potentially get someone killed were white men panicking. But pizza…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The forum charter badly needs an update to ban all use of the word "woke"…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah the 'noise' concept has always bothered me about these movies. It makes no sense whatsoever.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched it last night. Was a bit tired watching it, so I kinda drifted off for little parts of it.

Did the film give any explanation as to how they managed to carry around a cat with them for a day, and the cat didn't make any noises to draw the attention of the monsters - not even one little meow.

I know I'm being a bit silly point out unpracticalities in a monster film. But it kinda grated at me. And why didn't she go with him in the end. Could have set off the car alarms and then made a run for it. If the alarms are anything like the ones around where I live, they go on much longer than the 30 seconds they got in Day One.

The movie was alright. Having watched the other two Quiet Place films, it didn't add anything new. Would have been interesting if it had given some insight as to the motivations of the aliens, or where they came from etc. But it was basically another movie whereby the main characters spent 70% of the movie going around in silence.

Advertisement