Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Re : "This year though I think the athletes need to and are prioritising themselves"

The same can really be said for most years, as you'll have olympic, followed by world and euro championship on a cycle. That said, I do understand athletes prioritising their schedule.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan boy of AI, and god knows the need a big clear out, but can you imagine the difference in going looking for sponsorship when you can say you have the stars competing verses when they're not. No doubt success leads to success, and in turn lead to generating sponsorship. I believe AI have a new gear sponsor lined up for next year based on the European success.

I don't want this the come across an me specifically talking about Ciara, I most certainly am not. I'm just highlighting why I think our top athletes should be at the our national champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

But even if Ciara was there - people are really only interested in a competitive race.

What would be the point in her running against 4.25 runners?

Just so you can say - see Ciara Mageean at Santry. Why not just bring her but not have her run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Competitiveness is only determined afterwards. The people you are trying to entice to watch probably don't know what any of the times were going to be, they just want to see the big names competing. New fans to the sport after the euros weren't sitting there thinking that there is no point in her taking part, they just wanted to see her race.

Big names competing brings more eyeballs which brings more sponsorship, thats pretty undisputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Any word on who our qualifiers are for Paris? I thought the IAAF were announcing today. I am talking about the athletes whose qualifying positions were in doubt, and who had to wait for results in other national championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Did Sonia always run the nationals.

as for “Irish funded” athletes, surprised at that from Sonia. Athletes should compete where they want and the 20 to 40 grand a year they get from the government should have nothing to do with it. If they were paying serious grant money than by all means that changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

that’s what she said in a very pointed article in the Irish times last week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

https://worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7153115?eventId=10229612

My quick reading is

Barr and Becker* will miss out individually.

Coscoran and McCann in and Doyle just squeaking in too in the mens 1500m.

*Although it has Sydney McLaughlin top qualifier in the women's 400s as the lists are based off running times not National Championships so the list may not be quite finalised yet.

Interesting reference Adeleke was 0.06 off the Olympic qualifying standard in the 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know this is a selfish thing to say, but Barr and Becker focusing exclusively on the relay(s) isn’t a bad outcome. I know they will both be disappointed, particularly Barr, but they both have a better chance of finals, and possibly even a medal in the relay.

Coscoran has the big Q from last year, so was always good. It would be great if Doyle sneaks in. I think he could do well given his tactical nous.

Things are looking good for some of our athletes.

Taking from Elizabeth Egan on "X"

ROAD to PARIS UPDATES
    Mostly good news for the Irish. Tuthill, O'Connor, L McCann, Doyle and Favors all remain within quota, so are eligible to be selected for Paris! Barr needs 2 withdrawals, Becker needs 4, J McCann needs 5 & P Healy needs 12.

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

2003 high jump world champion Jacques Freitag found dead aged 42 with gunshot wounds

https://x.com/TheCitizen_News/status/1808092947113533538?t=_zf9orGcjoSurSfXu3YduA&s=19

I wasn't previously aware of him but I'm sure will mean something to people on here. Life had apparently gone badly off the rails and also had drug issues. Crazy you can reach the top of your sport yet it can still end this way.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement

Interesting race being held on Sunday in Croke Park.

Apparently there will he a Tailteann games commemorative 1 mile race held, over a 5 lap course during half time or between matches.

Sorry but details are hard to find, so I don't know the entry list..

A small bit more information about Tailteann commemoration on Sunday. Still didn't hear anymore news an entry list.

I wounder what are the chance of a sub 4 minute mile 🤔.

https://www.gaa.ie/article/gaa-to-commemorate-the-tailteann-games-and-a-centenary-of-ireland-s-olympic-participation?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0ePWV2vB56TVsti7tHCBRwUYx7BKyd-YhrA_HPta8AU-3U1VQM8d1tbRY_aem_M2xsnnqrAYMXXqDT5yHSSQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know the pitch will be immaculate but surely Sub 4 on grass would be harder than on a track.

Be interesting to see what pedigree of athlete is competing and hopefully it's on the tv broadcast

Yes I'd imagine it would be harder to achieve, also add in the fact that it's 5 laps, so it will be a tighter track as well.

Edit. I hope they allow the athletes a proper warm up, which maybe hard as there will be lots of spectators and security around.

Few Irish in action in high profile meets this weekend.

Paris diamond league: 1500m. Ciara Mageean and Sarah Healy up against Faith Kipyegon.

FBK games in the Netherlands: 400m. Sharlene Mawdsley up against Femke Bol and two of the other members of the Dutch relay squad, Peeters and DeWitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snodge

Has anyone any info/thoughts on the course route for the Irish Runner 10mile on July 21st? One loop?, hills? etc.

TIA

Cork City Sports Tuesday 9th July and The Morton Games Friday 12th July are both showing under the live tab of the European Athletics YouTube channel so looks like there will be live stream if you can't make it to the events

I'll be in Cork on the Tuesday night, really looking forward to it. Had a brilliant atmosphere back in 2022.

Heading along myself. Great chance to see some of our Olympians before Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sophie Becker and Jodie McCann are officially in Olympic sports in the updated (and final) rankings

Tom Barr is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

Reminder the Paris Diamond League is at 3pm today on Virgin Media 2. Tinpib has posted the schedule in the post above mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Turned out to be the fastest 1500m in history with numerous athletes setting PBs - Sarah Healy ran an incredible 3.57.46…..Mageaan will be a bit disappointed in comparison with her 3.58.69.

No surprise to see Kipyegon break her own World Record, but 3:50.83 for Jessica Hull!!! 😱

Laura Muir finally gets into 3:53 territory, and a nice PB for Sarah Healy in 3:57. Mageean not a factor in 10th with 3:58, which is a bit disappointing this close to the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, what are people's thoughts on that? Did Ciara just think "they've gone way too fast" and run her own race? Was it sensible with Olympics relatively close?

But look at what Jess Hull did, took 5 seconds off her PB. It's not every day you have a world record run/runner in front of you to chase after, she just thought "f*ck it" and went for it and got a time that you would damn near think was impossible beforehand.

Healy took two seconds off her PB……well done to her.

I don't think Mageean will be one bit happy with her time or her position. It's a race where you might have expected her to run 3.55 or even lower.

Hassan only 5th in the Hengelo 1500 with a 4:04 time. Maybe just a terrible race, but I really hope this cancels any plans she may have to run the 1500 in Paris. I mean how much faster can she get in the next four weeks or so before the Olympics? It's the longer distances she should be focusing on now.

You’re welcome. Only catching up now. Terrific run by Sarah Healy. She continues to improve every year. Not sure what to make of Ciara Mageean’s run, but it’s not particularly promising four weeks out from the Olympics.

Sharlene Mawdsley was also disappointing, only finishing fourth in Hengelo and well outside 51 seconds. Andrew Coscoran had a shocker in the men’s 1,000m.

All-up, quite a deflating reality check from an Irish perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The chances of winning a medal on the track at the Olympics is very slim. The Europeans were a completely different level. If we have a number of finalists we can be satisfied. Mageean won European gold but top 6 would be excellent at the Olympics. The relay teams making a final is the most welcome can expect. Our best hope is Adeleke but the truth is, she'll have to run amazingly just to get a top 5. The standard of athletics is so high.

Advertisement