Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

That Armagh fan you quote must surely have been impressed with Armagh's performance for a lot of this years Ulster final. Did you watch it yourself? The first half was by a distance the best half of football i've seen this year. Both teams played a lovely brand of attacking football. Think it was something like 10 points apiece at the break with the a huge amount of scores from play and long range points from all angles. Armagh had an 80% shot to score ratio in that half. There is not one Armagh fan or any neutral for that matter that could not have been impressed with that half.

Its only the last 15 minutes of normal time where Armagh went into their old defensive habits trying to close up shop.

It's interesting that almost everyone giving Donegal a decent shout of winning the All Ireland but some dismiss Armagh completely. The same Armagh that had Donegal almost bet in Ulster final normal time and again in extra time only to lose on penalties.

I think Kerry will have a little too much for Armagh but still give Armagh a chance. And if somehow they did make it to the final against Galway or Donegal it would be pretty much 50/50 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Armagh might have failed to see the Ulster final out, but a very small adjustment would have seen them done so. Everyone admires Galway coming back from a half time deficit against Dublin, but Armagh coming back from a half time deficit to draw with Galway a fortnight earlier is ignored.

And recover from that Ulster final heartbreak to finish top of what many said was the hardest group, battering Derry in Celtic Park, beating Westmeath and drawing with Galway which was what they needed to be group winners. You're right though they get very little credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Gael85

Enda Smith got a All Star last year and Roscommon didn't make last 8.

Yes you're correct. I suppose there's a chance a Louth player will get one. Reaching a second Leinster final in a row and making the quarter finals is a pretty good year for Louth. I think Tommy Durnin was excellent against Donegal knocking over four points. Has he done enough this year for an All Star?

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Would be great to see it and what a great game he had a fine fielder and took some mighty long range scores sadly great skills that have been slowly been eradicated from our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

folks, no one gives a s***e about all star awards anymore, not even the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Agree only hope for Armagh is they get 2 or 3 goals and keep clean sheet otherside. If its a shootout it's kerry by 7 plus points for me. Far better individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I'll be very surprised if Louth don't win at least one All-Star. They'll be rewarded for their first ever last 8 appearance and two or three Louth players really stood out in games against Cork,Donegal,Dublin matches that journalists take note of as it's them that who decide on All-stars.

I don't get the hype about Galway. Dublin were cruising against them before falling apart at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

They also were very lucky to beat Sligo and got some very questionable calls against Mayo to win the Connacht final with the last kick of the game.

They're a very good team when everyone is fully fit but they've just about gotten away with carrying so many causalities so far. You'd wonder if it will catch up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭littlevillage

This 100%.

The only lads who might have a passing interest in All Stars are the lads who have no hopes of ever getting a celtic cross... and of course RTE who televise the All Star awards bash and want to hype it up....and maybe some bored media types who need something to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Compo82

I'm not sure how good Galway are really, beat Sligo by a point injury time, got 3-4 very questionable decisions to beat Mayo in injury time, beat Derry who had a man sent off after 20 mins, just about got over Westmeath where they handed a goal to Shane Walsh, drew with Armagh and Dublin should have been 5-6 points up at half time but some how collapsed in the last 20 mins.

It's Kerry for me unfortunately again.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭GBXI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Agree, Galway should be closing out games when they're on top. Mayo and Dublin should have been beaten out the gate but yet were lucky to fall over the line in the end

Kerry are favourites but they will have to win against two teams who can beat them if they are not performing well on the day. The other 3 teams should have learned useful lessons from games with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭spurshero

Galway getting some amount of stick and no good jibes at them for a team unbeaten in a run of fixtures that have included mayo Derry Armagh and Dublin among others all while dealing with injuries to key players . Must be a lot of bad teams in championship so !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's a very different Galway though than what was seen in Connacht when they were admittedly a shambles at times coming off a league campaign where they'd about 15 injuries throughout.

McDaid, Tierney, Walsh, probably their 3 best attackers since didn't start v Mayo. Neither did Maher or Mulkerrin who've been terrific in the last few games. And even given all that, they'd have won a tad comfortably had they taken either of their two easy goal chances

Anyway comparing that almost pre-season like Galway side seen in Connacht to the one seen last Saturday is apples and oranges stuff. Since then they've beaten Derry, Dublin and drew with Armagh in a game the keeper handed away

It's hilarious how you can bat away what happened last Day as a Dublin "collapse". Mad how they haven't collapsed more often in the last 15 years if it can be explained that simply. The standard of point kicking last Saturday was about as high as you'll ever see. The positive for Galway is they kicked about a half dozen silly wides on top

• Registered Users Posts: 18,677 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was less of an Armagh comeback and more of a Galway sloppy late error. Galway dominated that group game v Armagh. To say Galway were robbed and Armagh were lucky is an understatement.

Then Armagh again were lucky to face a Roscommon team that were 14 down for most of it and very poor there after.

If Armagh do get the result v Kerry fair play. But if you watch Armagh live they more try and “not get involved” in a game of football hoping the opposing side lose it rather than them winning it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From the beginning of the league to all-Ireland final day it's a marathon not a sprint, it's all about the timing of the run, it takes game management, man management + a bit of luck with injuries and all that, like any form book we have to look at the direction of the graph and in galways case Imv it's upward, why I agree with you comparing our connaught final form with last Sundays performance is a bit futile if it's not seen in the correct light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hey Hulk. Just on your last point, I was thinking the same. I was listening to people on about Dublin dominating and throwing it away at the end. I was at the match so didn't see it on TV so maybe I didn't get the full perspective. But from what I saw, Galway were all over Dublin right from the off in the second half when they got a point after the throw in after half time. They found it a little difficult to get in for scores alright. But they were probing away a lot of the time. And eventually broke Dublin down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What about the bug, Dublin supposed to have had, they weren't as fresh in the last 5 or 6 minute as they usually were, that's where Dublin won a lot of there games in the 70th minute they seemed to always be better in last few minutes Galway are a very confident bunch of people met a good few last week all saying they want to meet Kerry in the final. Armagh and Donegal might have other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They are still on TV

A Friday night in November

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I haven't watched them in a long time. But isn't there something like the All-Stars and known and announced for the football before the actual TV show. And that the main thing on the night is the player of the year and the young player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On alternate years they announce the football or hurling winners on the Friday morning and then the other code is announced on the TV show in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭dobman88

The "bug" is one in a long line of excuses after losing a game they were in full control of and let slip away.

The game was lost on the line and in the team selection. Anyone with a brain saw how Jack Mc and James Mc changed the game by coming on previously. Legs weren't there for full 70mins.

But you'll have lads blaming individual players, the ref, a call here or there, and now a bug in the camp. Plus whatever else lads want to use as an excuse for a loss.

It's hard as a fan to see your team lose but the beginning of the end was signalled by Mayo beating them in 2021. I've been a huge fan of this dublin team, despite them breaking my heart on many occasions over the last decade+ but a couple of lads on the panel overstaying things at this point and a refresh is required for them. It should open the football up for a few years though because for all the Kerry hype, they haven't produced the goods with any kind of consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 18,677 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was at it Galway played "too cagey" in the first half and also hit wides that they should not have. Basically Galway should/could have won by more.

Plus added to the fact Dessie Farrell got his starting 15 wrong/or else the rumour of a Dublin bug in the camp. Dublin had no one to inject energy and impact into the game in the last 20 minutes. Dessie Farrell did the exact opposite from the QF on last year and it destroyed Mayo etc.

Also the Galway bench was better than the Dublin bench made much more of an impact.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If you watch Galway's last point, you can see James McCarthy's legs are gone as he's chasing back.

So, he should've been subbed off by that point or not started and subbed on. So that's on the manager Dessie.

Dublin started 9 players over 30 so obviously need a rebuild. They'll always be very strong but not as dominant. Their underage teams haven't been great for a while.

Legs and energy are so important so they need an injection of youth.

Kerry are definitely favourites of the final 4 semi finalists but really anyone can win. I think Kerry will be happy to play defensively and grind out a couple of wins and take Sam home.

They've a strong, experienced panel now and know that they should be winning more AIs with Dublin weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's what Galway do they play cagey.

Fatigue actually helped them late on. When they got the ball back, the support runners weren't consistently there, so lads had to kick more directly and earlier, and the passes and long range shots hit their targets this time.

They took advantage of it, but this game was more about Dublin losing than Galway winning. IMHO.

Advertisement