Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

I dont recall there ever being so little debate over who should be starting a semi final, not one player on the bench you could say is unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I'd agree with most of what you say there, we need someone reliable to step on frees and in general once TJ does go, there's probably no real stand out free taker on the panel other than TJ or Drennan. I wouldn't be as hard on Clifford, I think he has the hurling I just don't think he is a forward, he was excellent at wing back for the Boro last year and I think this is his best position. The club championship is going to be very interesting this year and if someone can put their hand up and put in big performances there are potentially a good few positions which could become available for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I think once Tj retires Eoin cody will be on the frees..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

MIkey didn't start on casey, got moved onto him

not consistent enough, have to hope drennan pushes on a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Not consistent now because he doesn't get much match practice. I'd be hopeful if was taking them on a more regular basis he would improve..time will tell I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Marrooned

no sign of Killian Doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Just hope Mullen and Donnelly are fully fit and last the 70 minutes, two massive players for us this year and could be the difference between winning and losing .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭kk.man

I be very worried about our bench or lack there off.

• Advertisement

Mullen is certainly ok

drennan is accurate from play as well, hopefully he makes it, probably the best prospect, he's still only 20, same as clifford. They need another year or two of underage competition

there's pretty much no time between the end of the league and start of championship, some of these players couldn't be getting a whole lot of decent training matches since either with the number of championship games in such a short space of time. Not much for some of these to look forward to from the end of march to the start of the following league, what is there to motivate them

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sir Chaz

Yeh no K Doyle, or Darragh Corcoran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Sorry about this Marooned but is the Camogie on the telly or net yoke 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lob it in

If Drennan is Kilkenny's best prospect we're in serious trouble.

who else is there at the moment out of all the players that have been tried? He has the hurling ability. And are we not in trouble? No competition for places for the match tomorrow, what will the bench look like next year

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Box to box

Henry joined the longer list of managers who failed at galway. It split the county in 2 but you see herity going to tipp,eoin Kelly to Waterford and Tony browne to tipp. Maybe its the fact he turned down the selector and then manager for the big money switch. Some will say he was right to go where he would get looked after and others would say he was wrong to go up against his county,clubmates and nephew. I was listening to a interview where he ruled out Waterford and is over the ballyhale underage hurling and camogie teams that his kids are involved in. Time is a healer and he will probably get a job at kk at some stage but he didn't get ttown over the line either.great players don't make great managers and maybe he will have learned a huge amount in galway but they went backwards over the 3 years.i do hope the county board make a huge effort to get the right team in place for the u20 and not go looking in September when people are already with a team.

No surprise with the kk team tomorrow everyone is available.its good to see heary back he was moving well the night of the open training so he has obviously impressed. It's unlikely we will see much more than wally,phelan,fogarty,Buckley and Shane Murphy. For all the talk of the u20 winning all ireland team 2 years ago we are struggling to get lads through. There's still plenty of time of course but it's a bit disappointing none the less. Free taking is absolutely huge now. Cody isnt a natural free taker but he will probably go onto them when tj goes. We take tjs frees for granted its only when he isnt there like the league final is when ya really appreciate him.We have done alot of video analysis like all teams so hopefully puckouts go well. Clare will run at us and try move reid out of the middle and make him mark. I think Rodgers was involved with the 2 goals in the league final. I don't know if butler would be suitable for sod but it will be interesting to see will he pick up Kelly. I'd be surprised if they don't go with shanagher after going well the last day. He would keep lawlor honest,he is abrasive. I think Lawlor would be best suitable for sod but kk will play their own game with 1 or 2 lads detailed to certain players but that will be it. We need huge performance tomorrow to get over the line. We got the bit of luck last year with fogarty hook,our goal and scruff save. You would be hoping we are hurling better and maybe clare aren't but all will be revealed tomorrow.

Best of luck to both teams tomorrow representing kk. Not simple on Derek burying his brother in law today but hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lob it in

Every player called in to a Kilkenny panel as hurling ability, but to make it at senior intercounty level you need serious workrate and serious attitude as well,unfortunately Drennan possess neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s on TV (RTE)

I think the 1/4 final on the Sunday isn’t on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Box to box

Maybe being dropped from the match panel will do him no harm in the long run. He gets a pass because he is young but that will only last so long. He could slip away as quick as anything. As Village said above he should be dominating at junior level. Killian doyle the very same but that hasn't happened so it's probably not that much of a surprise. They need to drive on their club in the club championship even if they arent successfull these two have to be standing out.Billy has the ability and I wouldn’t give up on him yet. He may go back to the drawing board and look at the shift tj and Mullen and these lads put it in every day they go out. You would hope its being drilled into him but maybe he hasnt the stamina yet for doing the dirty work and doing the hurling and he needs to be put on a gym programme that will get the best out of him.Billy Ryan always works his socks off to be fair even if it doesn't always happen for him. This is probably his best year. For billy drennan I know there will be a few vacancies on the panel next year when Buckley and a few others go but others will also be pushing for the panel next year. As another poster said the club is a better springboard then underage for kk players. If you can survive at club it's great preparation because it's so competitive.its not just drennan we need Clifford, moylan dunne and shine to step up over the next few years. I see finnan maccessesy doing a bit of work now in kk. Has he played any matches yet with o loughlins do anyone know? He will be a big addition to them.Olg have 6 lads on the panel tomorrow so a good season with the club can springboard players quickly.This is why it's so important doyle and drennan stand out well at junior level.

Post edited by Box to box on

• Registered Users Posts: 29 neverbet

How exactly do you make a comment like that regarding Killian Doyle? From reading your posts over the years,you seem to enjoy "stirring" it. Some of your most outrageous were aimed at the greatest hurling manager of all time. You appear to get little enjoyment following your native county. Following the progress of the Tipp minors might do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dunno why I thought the Galway Waterford match wasn’t

I just threw in Killian Doyle’s name, that he was so important a player back in early May, fucked up an U20 and now not even being considered. It just doesn’t make sense

Starting Killian Doyle against Carlow was a strange decision and still baffles me. Anyway best of luck to the lads today, be great to get another crack at Limerick , looking forward to it now.

come on the CATS

I think we’ll save a hape of money giving Village 87 all three intercounty jobs.

Now for ye people who don’t know a “hape” is much bigger than a heap.

• Advertisement

Advertisement