Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sometimes I find it takes multiple goes before the stupid machine finally concedes and accepts them. It's a wonder no one has smashed a machine yet out of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As per my previous post, just cut out the barcode from deformed bottles and cans and stick them on a good one. I'm assuming that deformed ones are picked off the street, as there is no need for anyone to deform them in the home? Plenty of out of scope empties in good condition around if people need them. Although my experiment with out of shape containers found the machines to be tolerable of significant damage. They certainly do not need to be pristine.

The only trouble I had with a machine was one of those tiny bottles, which was pristine. Kept coming out and threating to fall into the lip space in a Dunnes machine. So if I had one of those again, I would cut out the barcode and stick it on a bigger bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

So if I had one of those again, I would cut out the barcode and stick it on a bigger bottle.

Try it, I'm 99% certain that won't work. The barcode would have to be used on a bottle that is the same size and weight as the original bottle. It's part of the scanning process.

The idea of having to cut barcodes and stick them to other containers is farcical. Cans and plastic bottle get deformed at home, when they're empty they have no strength.

Try it yourself. Swap two barcodes from different size/shape bottles and see what happens. Remove the collars/sleeves and sellotape on only the barcode. The machine only needs to see a barcode. And a shape it expects in general, which is not related to the barcode.

3.5 Weight Detection
    RVMs are only required to accept empty containers. To identify partially filled or fully filled containers, an RVM
    should use weight detection. This weight detection requires an accuracy of at least 95%. Containers should
    weigh no more than 100 grams including any excess liquid. If a container is identified as not empty, the
    container should be rejected.

RVM’s must be capable of accepting:
    • With a minimum width of 50mm.
    • With a maximum width of 120mm.
    • With a minimum height of 100mm.
    • With a maximum height of 360mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

I'll take this as the answer to my question you refused to answer a few weeks back:

I thought according to you there is no need to make the return process complicated? So now on top of everything else we should have an arts and crafts session to get our deposits back using out of scope containers. 🤣

Ah would you stop. It's pretty clear you think Re-Turn is acceptable as is.

1 more time in case you've forgotten:

Other countries allow IBAN deposit refund

Other countries accept crushed containers

Other countries have bulk return centres

Other countries make all stores who sell containers accept returns

Other countries dont force people into shops to get their own money back after doing extra work for free

Other countries' citizens dont already pay for recycle wheelie bins at their homes

Other countries arent run by idiots / gombeens

As for the proof of this list you requested it's all in this thread if you go back far enough. I wont be posting it again just for you.

• Advertisement

There are apps that generate barcodes and allow you to print them out, you're saying someone could print out a barcode from a 2l bottle, stick it on a 500ml bottle and get a higher deposit.

I don't know anything about that. Try it yourself and see what happens.

Thinking further on that barcode generator. People could buy in the North with no deposit and stick on those fraudulent barcodes to the empties. Criminals will always find a way.

Taking a barcode from a deformed bottle and sticking it on with sellotape to an out of scope bottle certainly works. For instance there are Lucozade bottle from multi packs which have no barcodes. They are the exact size and shape of in scope bottles.

I'm just going by what you said that bottle size didn't matter.

Pickers do a service to the community, and are not despised in other countries like they are here. Except the ones who raid dustbins, if that is happening. I believe other countries have holders on the outside of street bins where people can "donate" their empties to the pickers. I put the crushed bottles and cans in my Green Bin, after transferring the barcode to a good container. Which is a double win for the environment, and will keep up business for my bin company. Although reading the stuff this week, I think they should be paying me for the material.

Not only do some people not need the 15 or 25 cents. They don't even need the liquid. I found two 2 litre water bottles this morning both almost full. And an unopened can of Pepsi yesterday.

• Advertisement

You are 99% convinced that I am wrong. I know 100% that I am right. Try it and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭bog master

I believe bottle size does matter tho depends on the machine. My SV reads and accepts the bottle/can and shows on the screen what the bottle/can is, ie; Heineken 500 ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Where is this idea that people picking litter in Ireland are "despised"? In all of the threads that there have been here on this i have never once seen this stated. There seem to be so many mis truths getting randomly inserted into comments.

any update from Return on disabled and housebound people? Or should they just continue to go fcuk themselves and lose their money?

I have asked Return directly and amazingly they didnt reply. Even if they somehow didnt discuss this during the public consultation (hahahahaha) they've had six months now to find a fix.

Anything at all oh glorious thieving Return overlords?

Anything that involves extra work for free seems to be acceptable and doesn't complicate the return of containers.

Mention something that might make actually help customers get their money back or include an excluded group and the spoof Olympics start or its tumbleweeds.

Im starting to think we have people in this thread directly connected to Re-Turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I ge5 what the poster is referring to. I was crossing a supermarket carpark with returns when it 1st came in and picked up 1on the bottle and some randomer past a comments

And you are the resident ambassador for foreign countries telling us how backward and stupid Irish gombeens are. Some of those countries have had over 20 years to evolve their schemes. Ours is fine for simple people like me. Pay a deposit, get it back from the machine. Or don't bother if you don't need the money.

You hit the nail on the head.

If you can spare a moment in between cutting out and gluing barcodes tell us your connection to Re-Turn. At least then Id respect your self interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

One benefit for me is I save money on my usual beer which is 7.99 for a 4 pack. No deposit charged but I get 15c back on each when I bring them back. No idea why theres no deposit charged as it has the recycle sympol?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭bog master

Think of the saving if we didn't have MUP foisted upon us!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,136 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Many businesses , cafes, restaurants are getting their cans/bottles somewhere without the Return logo, lots of polish cans etc .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Further in the Irish Independent, it seems only the promise of compensation from the government is currently holding back bin companies from increasing prices:

Questioned about the Irish Independent report on Thursday, Green Party junior minister Ossian Smyth told the Dáil that negotiations were under way “to make sure the system of subsidies and levies in place is such that there will be no effect on the cost of waste collection”.“ I do not want the price of waste collection to go up,” he said.Now FOI documents show that on January 30, two days before the DRS began, IWMA spokesman Conor Walsh wrote to the Department with a “gentle reminder” that a letter of assurance that they would be insulated against losses, promised since 2021, was overdue.

An exchange of emails later in May shows discussions were held and the IWMA provided details of €700,000 in losses from February to April, suggesting a method for payment of a subsidy in compensation.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bin-firms-were-on-the-brink-of-raising-prices-in-deposit-return-scheme-row/a1463222074.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What the actual fuck?

Our government is going to "compensate" private companies because their profits have lessened? What kind of a fucked up world am I living in?

The sooner we re-nationalise our waste management the better.

Sure Re-Turn is great. No changes needed 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I hadnt realised all caps are now awkward to get off, too much nannying

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That should be the way it works for everyone and all DRS schemes.

Yet some people think that they are getting money back, despite paying the DRS charge.

I would imagine your retailer will have the DRS charge added in time, but enjoy it while it lasts :)

Its the fairest way to encourage people to recycle - dont charge them for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It would be cheaper to compensate than take it back. It was costing LA a fortune. Nothing to see here Jim just the law of unintended conquences

Slava Ukrainii

In the long run, having essential public services under state responsibility makes it both cheaper and better for the public. Hocking off things like that into cartels/monopolies just makes everything more expensive…

…as we have plainly seen time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,646 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While the cost may be cheaper to the consumers the state ends up subventing the LA's. When rubbish collection services were privatised the mistake made was that they shoukd have been tendered out for 5-10 year periods lime NCT's. Instead it was left as a free for all.

LA similar to the public health service do not have the flexibility to run services. Take the use of high tech hospital equipment private heath providers run them for 16+ hours days amd even Saturdays and Sundays.

Bin companies are similar they run the trucks for 12-14 hour days, they segerate rubbish so as to extract as much recyclables from black and commercial bins where its profitable to do so.

Eamon Ryan decide to being in a deposit system for bottles and drink cans. These had a commercial value to bin companies. They were bound to lose revenue when this was bought in and if they lose revenue they would increase charges.

This would have been a double whammy to there customers, these are the people who were recycling plastic bottle and cans anyway and now they were going to have to take the bottles back to the shop as well as pay extra to there bin poroviders

Slava Ukrainii

Even if there are problems with the state running essential public services (and those problems don't magically go away in the private sector you know), it's always better to keep them under public control. Giving things out to the private sector, like waste, health, water, never works out well in the long run. Government of certain flavours are bound to seek privatisation of public services because it allows them to throw their hands up and say tough shit when those services go wrong or we end up paying through the nose for them because private interests only care about their bottom line.

In addition, our public health services were much better run when they were under the control of the health boards. When the HSE was created, it set off a series of events that have led to the mess that we see today. It's a bureaucratic disaster and it has been since it was ushered in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

No increases??? Email from Bord na Móna received on Wednesday. Obviously Ossian Smyth hasn't been talking to Bord na Móna.

"From 1st of July, your Pay by Lift bi-annual service charge will not change. Your Pay by Lift charges will increase by the following amounts: General Waste Bin €1.20 per lift, Recycling bin €0.40 per lift, Organic bin €0.80 per lift, Glass bin €0.40 per lift. As we encourage our customers to recycle more, we would like to highlight that there is a weight limit on the general waste bin. The limit is 195kg for 240lt bins and 105kg for 140lt. Excess kilos over this will be billed quarterly at the cost of 28 cents per additional kilo."

Advertisement