Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Irish politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You can make the same argument the other way, that FPTP keeps out extremists.

Corbyn was too extreme for the middle ground so was never going to be PM.

If there was a PR-STV system in the UK, we would be waking up to a Tory/Reform coalition, not a Labour landslide.
    Its a bit of a paradox in a way, as one of the reasons why people are unhappy with the Tories (and Labour) is that they are or were too centrist. So these other parties are set up, and may get some support but ultimately the system works against them. Therefore the more centrist and established parties continue to win.

The only way for extremists to come to power is to take over a party from within, like what Trump did in the GOP.
    I don't see Farage taking over the Tory party.

Look at the French system. It's a kind of FPTP with a few guardrails. But the presidential election is really FPTP in round 2, which is designed to keep out an extremists i.e Le Pen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If there was a PR-STV system in the UK, we would be waking up to a Tory/Reform coalition, not a Labour landslide.

With the proviso that we have no idea how people would have voted under a PR-STV system, you are wildly overstating their combined vote share.

This is not any real advantage, it is a mild convenience. Ultimately it matters not at all.

I beg to differ.

People know who won and who lost.

People know who has power and who lost it.

Often here and in Europe, the election is a sideshow for months of negotiations between various parties to come up with an acceptable programme for government and what is contained in said programme can be anyone's guess.

Take 2019.

FF and FG both lost seats and votes, yet remained in government. Did the people really vote for that? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows.

In Ireland we have escaped the worst excess of this because both FF and FG are quite pragmatic, but over time we will see more and more instability as FF and FG vote share will decline and more ideological parties take to the fore.

And also, we compare ourselves to the UK for lots of things.

PR-STV isnt a bad system per say, but it does have weaknesses to it.

We will find out in due course when we have our own election in some months to come. We will be lucky to have a new government by Christmas unless FF and FG get a jump in support.

Indeed. People did vote tactically but that would may mean even less seats for Labour looking at the data.

Maybe a Labour/Lib Dem coalition vs a Tory/Reform coalition. We don't really know, but the question was about how to keep extremists out and FPTP does that well enough as small extreme parties never get enough votes to get people elected, unlike say in Europe, where the Far Right and Far Left always do have people elected.

Maybe a Labour/Lib Dem coalition vs a Tory/Reform coalition. We don't really know

Lab/LD would be 46% vs 37% for Tory/Reform. It really wouldn't be that close.

FPTP allowed the extremists to take over the Conservative Party, it didn't keep them out of government at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

PR-STV has the advantage that the voter can vote against a candidate by giving them the lowest preference, or no preference. Its weakness is when choices a low as 7 or 8 come into play, as no one can be that discerning.

In FPTP, the voter can only show first preference, or vote tactically and vote for the most likely candidate that is not the one most hated. However, unless there is a wide campaign for this, it is a bit haphazard. Most seats are forgone results, even where the winner might only get 30% of the vote.

FPTP is a terrible system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That was the first ever election that I watched with interest. I remember being so confused when they mentioned this guy. Of course back then there was no real internet to look something like that up so I had no notion what a TV Deflector candidate was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well this says lots...

Quite how or why anyone would think the likes of Farage is going to benefit anyone except Farage is beyond me. Is there anything that he has done that we can see which has been beneficial to the average Brit?

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

You are of course free to make an argument like that but the reality is FPTP is a horrible system which is most assuredly much easier for extremists to take control of power from as we have seen in both the UK and the US. Not the pure speculation you put forth as to what may or may not have happened if the UK election used a form of PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

As we've seen, even the vote in England is seriously fragmenting between five different parties - making the FPTP system even more outdated and unfit for purpose.

The most extreme example of this was in Liz Truss's constituency. Hilarious and all that she lost her seat but the Labour candidate won it with just 26.7% of the vote!

Nobody should be winning a single seat constituency with barely quarter of the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Especially when you consider that James Bagge is essentially an independent tory.

Stupid system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

https://x.com/AlanEnglish9/status/1809519491832844610

Fascinating Sunday Independent/Ireland Thinks poll tomorrow…. I'd be tempted to call it a marmalade-dropper.

this on top of all the great sport today, my dodgy ticker might give out…

I didn't realise that. So the right-wing vote got split in 3. Explains how she was able to lose a 24k majority (Well apart from…everything else)

Interesting. Given the recent political head-winds I'm going to guess that it's another fall for SF - they'll be under 20% for the first time since the 2020 election. Since he's referring to it as a marmalade dropper, well under - somewhere in the 15% region.

If that happens then I'd guess that Independent Ireland are >10%.

• Advertisement

Would marginal third place behind FF merit the 'marmalade dropper' label by itself? I guess if you were looking to hype up the story…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

But Bagge ran with this system (with the backing of Rory Stewart), to specifically unseat Liz Truss.

It's the editor of the Sunday Independent and he almost seems giddy - gotta be bad news for SF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd say it has to be at least a -5 for Alan English to be as excited as he seems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭jh79

Would MLMD be in trouble if they end up behind FF?

• Advertisement

4 points. I wasn't too far off!

Sinn Féin has fallen to its lowest poll ranking since the beginning of 2020, with the party falling four points to 18pc in the Sunday Independent/Ireland Thinks series.

The largest opposition party was at 37pc in the same poll series in October 2022, but its support has nosedived in recent months.

Fine Gael is six points ahead of Sinn Féin and up 2pc on the previous poll as the ‘Harris hop’ continues to yield positive polling results.

Sinn Féin has now even fallen behind Fianna Fáil, which is up 3pc to 20pc.

After the election? I reckon she'll step down of her own accord if SF aren't in government. Very hard to see them get to the next level under her leadership if it doesn't happen this time…

my less specific prediction was on the mark too

marginal third place behind FF

You'd wonder what the floor is for SF. They got 13.8% at the 2016 election.

Where are all the younger voters concerned about the housing crisis going to I wonder? Certainly can't see them voting for FF/FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

Given the usual shy FF vote in polls,wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the 3 government parties are on half the vote,not counting like minded independents,a clarion call for stability perhaps in an uncertain world

Very hard to read anything substantial into the Greens' fortunes from that 4% though. Aontu are also on 4% but they have pretty much no chance of winning more than one seat…

You'd surely read their transfers in the main heading inter government though which is why their number is important?

Not sure we can take that as read. Greens becoming increasingly estranged from the other two parties since the recent election campaign, prospective leader Roderick talking up an alliance with Labour & Soc Dems.

Green Party chair Pauline O’Reilly told the Irish Daily Mail that a spate of political attacks on their candidates from Coalition colleagues had ‘eroded trust’ and it is now ‘very difficult’ to see how they could share power again in a future government.

I was working off what went on in the Euro's with the largest % of transfers going to government canfidates,albeit all scattered?

30 or 40% of those votes in transfers would still be significant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To be fair to Eamon Ryan, he is incredibly passionate about the environment and that can be seen in the policies he has implemented in his 2 terms in Government.

The modern Green Party is a coalition of people passionate about the environment (Ryan and the likes of Ossian Smyth, Brian Leddin and Malcolm Noonan) and what appear to be run-of-the-mill social justice warriors. Under Roderic O'Gorman's leadership I'd imagine they'd move in the direction of the latter of those 2 and they stick out very much in that circumstance in a coalition with FF and FG.

If FF+FG were to go into a hypothetical coalition with a Roderic O'Gorman led Green Party it's hard to see how the Government would be in any way sympathetic to the voting desires of FF/FG voters.

Greens only likely to have two or three seats after the next GE though. Best case scenario for them they will be slightly bolstering the numbers in a FF/Fg/Soc Dem coalition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

State of established Parties (FF&FG) will probably need fresh blood for the upcoming GE?

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2024/07/06/fianna-fail-crisis-in-mayo-deepens-and-deepens/

Fresh blood is a struggle for Fianna Fáil in Mayo and it could prove fatal for the long-term chances of the party coming into an election when they will need to stamp out clearly their identity as somewhat different to Fine Gael, particularly in this Blueshirt stronghold.

Is it the same in other counties?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/07/06/trickle-of-fine-gael-departures-risks-turning-into-a-flood-as-election-moves-closer/ ~ Archive Link

Party headquarters ordered this week that all selection conventions must take place by September 22nd. … nearly all new candidates will come from the ranks of recently elected councillors. That will be true for the other parties, too. All are poring over the local results to see the men and women mostly likely to win or hold Dáil seats.

With both parties relying on fresh blood!? It is very hard now to see the possible make up of next goverment?

Hopefully Eoin is wrong below and we are not relying on Aontu to hold the centre?

Incase you missed it 'imploded' because of Ciaran Mullooly joining 'Renew Europe'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

Don't think Mayo is a good choice to illustrate the supposed struggles of the government parties. With SF slumping in the polls FF & FG have a more than decent chance of taking 4/5 seats, especially if Michael Ring runs again. Even 3 would be a good result in terms of accumulating the numbers to form another government…

That guy Lenihan is just another a far-right bigot claiming to be "centre-right" in order to pretend that his beliefs are more palatable.

He tweeted some extremely bitter stuff about Rashidat Adeleke after she won her recent medals saying that "just because she's running around with an Irish flag and has a Dublin accent doesn't mean that she's actually Irish" (or some words to that affect). Ironically enough he no longer even lives in Ireland himself.

He actually had the director of elections for Independent Ireland on his stream the night of the European Elections along with loads of far-right candidates from the likes of the Irish Freedom Party plus John McGuirk of Gript. I'd say he thought that Mullooly was going to be one of them too so he no doubt felt especially stung when he joined that centrist grouping.

It is very hard now to see the possible make up of next goverment?

Not looking hard to me. If the results of the latest opinion poll are borne out in the GE, and transfer patterns from the recent elections are maintained, FFG should have a good tilt at a overal majority. If they come say 5 or 6 seats short, they will likely have multiple options for making up the numbers…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks @Loafing Oaf and @Brussels Sprout for replies!

Is the 'co-option process' still in effect if councillors get ellected to Dáil?

Why I thought it hard to predict was that with both Parties needing new blood candidates (maybe politically unknows), It will look like it will be hard fought campaigns to get votes for the candidates?

As for Ciaran Mullooly and Michael McNamara joining Renew, I have no problem with it, they had to join some group. Glad it wasn't EPP. I liked 'GOZI Sandro' from the debate on 23 May, not knowing/(forgot) at the time FF where in the group.

Also found out recently they are the group that formulated the EU Migration Pact! Not sure if the government opting us in was the right choice. It probably should have gone to another referendum. Some people are of the viewpoint we already did vote on it with the Lisbon Treaty.

You seem to want it each and every way.

If the UK had some sort of PR system, there would have been a huge block of votes on the right, who would have made it a condition of Brexit and migration for any formation of government. That would mean any centre right/Tory government would have had to compromise with them for power.

The UK do not have nor has had any far-right party in power.

The National Front are on the cusp in France, AFD is rising in Germany, Gert Wilders has power in Holland with PVV, Meloni has power in Italy, Orban has power in Hungary, in Austria the FPO are on course to be the lead party in Austria.

These are actually far-right/populist right-wing governments and parties.

One Nation Tory is not that.

• Advertisement

You are of course free to make an argument like that but the reality is FPTP is a horrible system which is most assuredly much easier for extremists to take control of power from as we have seen in both the UK and the US.

This is nonsense to be fair as you are looking at the wrong end of the telescope.

Look at 20th-century Europe and tell me what extremist governments came to power and how?

History did not begin in 2016 which is colouring yours and most others peoples outlook.

I'm curious which extremist governments in 20th Century Europe you think would have been prevented by FPTP voting?

I'm assuming you're primarily alluding to the Nazis? Didn't Herman Goering argue that with FPTP voting, they would've taken every seat in the Reichstag? None of the 1932 elections gave the Nazi party a majority, and the March 1933 election was by no means a fair election. I'd imagine the Nazi Party would've held a massive majority government much sooner with FPTP.

One Nation Tories have been nowhere near the corridors of power for years. Reform/UKIP/whoever have fundamentally transformed the Tories without ever being in power and it remains to be seen what will happen to the Conservative Party now that it is out of power.

Claiming a far right party has never been in power is a bit asinine when they manage to get mainstream parties to adopt their policies anyway.

There is also no semblance of a far right party anywhere near even getting elected in Ireland. I don't think it is the electoral system that is the key point here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The term for that is, shifting the Overton Window. The classic example is Trump saying outrageous things, that a week later are taken as normal, because something more outrageous has taken its place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Ahh how dare I have a different opinion then yourself. Outrageous of me obviously given your clear omniscience.

It is quite clear IMHO that PR is vastly superior albeit not perfect to using FPTP. It is clearly more democratic as it produces results that more accurately reflect the voters preferences in the elections. Given this it is much harder for one party to win an overall majority thus coalitions are much more the norm and thus naturally require more compromise and negotiation for a government to be formed. This is not the case with FPTP thus leaving the door open to extremists getting control of power never mind the fact that governments in general whether extremist or not under FPTP often do not reflect the wishes of the majority of voters ie more then 50%.

Incredible that anyone could be making a sincere argument for FPTP in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I prefer the UK system, I don't need to express my fifth preference on a ballot

The UK system is more decisive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Four elections and six prime ministers in under a decade decisive? Dread to image what you think indecisive is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was really only designed for a two party system though. The result last week where five parties polled well in England left the system totally floundering, with some of them getting loads of seats and others only a small number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ah yes. Decisively winning a huge majority on 33.8% of the vote.

Decisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,309 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

1 government elected by a majority of voters in the last 100 years is decisive? I suppose its decisively undemocratic alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement