Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

if it’s a life or death decision of course it is. I don’t like open borders but judging people for making a life or death decision to lie or tell the truth is western moral superiority gone mad.

think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So then they can all say I lied because life and death?

How can you believe anything they said if they're lying from day one. I mean it's a bloody tearjerker worthy of Spielberg isn't it.

Edit: you clearly are a fan of open borders if you think they should be legally granted asylum and allowed to stay in the EU. (Our morals are already included in our laws by how we write them and what we think is right and wrong, so either you agree with the law or you don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

This thread has gone way off topic.

No it hasn't. We're talking respectfully about the podcast and things related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd like to see him get someone else on to discuss France, the woman he has on now comes across very arrogant and living in a bubble.

• Advertisement

I am saying (repeating) that I don’t like open borders but if you’re judging individuals for that type of a lie, where telling the truth will leave you at the mercy of African asylum camps as opposed to European life then I think you live in a massive western bubble.

I think if you were African traveling through the desert you’d tell the same lies and forsake your morals.

but you’re welcome to believe that you wouldn’t.

Nobody forced them to attempt to illegally migrate to another country. They were obviously coming from a safe country, hence the need to lie.

They were likely well aware of the need to lie when they started their illegal endeavours.

There's no point in putting ourselves in their shoes. There's the law and that's that. They broke it and should have been sent back on their way home after recovering their health.

“There’s no point putting ourselves in their shoes”

I think there is. Let’s leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

Wouldn't you know shes a former Irish times journalist as well, the type of individual who goes to live in France because they think it makes them culturally superior.

Then you're going to let everyone in because they all have a sob story.

If you don't believe in open borders then I'd to know what it is you believe in or who exactly you would not give asylum to and why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Westernview

I think Lara Marlow is an excellent journalist to have on. Very informed and previously reported well on US politics when on Matt Cooper. She was married to the late Robert Fisk who was highly respected so she has a certain cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sunjava

I had to turn her off... I can't recall what it was she said but it was complete & utter nonsense. Everything that she doesn't agree with is dangerous and extreme far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

She just seems very biased and unable to see things from another perspective. Like France has had serious social issues in recent years among their immigrant population. She seems to think anyone who disagrees with her viewpoint is an extremist.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

She also wrote recently that criticism of Melenchon for being anti-Semitic was unfair.

The dude literally said the Jews killed Christ. He’s a textbook anti-Semite that most of the rest of the left in France despise. But Marlowe couldn’t admit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Has Eamon gone on a break? A few reposts gone up this week, thought there would be plenty for him to chew over with the Trump assassination attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

Yep, definitely gone on a break or focusing more on his book. Tbh, I dont know how Eamon & his team expect anyone to be paying a subscription anymore, I used to but stopped because of the low amount of content & heavy bias. At this rate, he might be calling it a day soon. Would have been fascinated to see how him & Stanage covered the Trump assassination attempt

As has already been stated in this thread there isn't a requirement to pay a subscription. Spotify and other platforms provide them all for free. 16 free episodes last Month and preparing a book at the same time is hardly low content.

He'll be heavily covering the US with Stanage in the run up to November no doubt.

He goes on extended breaks every year and every year people are writing his obituary. Same with Giles for about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good timing for Dunphy, ramping up ridiculous hyperbole around Trump for last 8 years akin to his “liberal” media stateside and bang he does on holiday so he wont be accepting any responsibility.

Trump is a completely compromised political entity. Look at his VP pick and main donors. Zionist gentiles & Jews, just to point this is something that will probably be classed as hate speech in future in Ireland.

for Democracy

• Advertisement

I agree...the Trump show is a tired act at this stage...especially when hearing his frenzied followers proclaiming Gods intervention diverting the bullets. Guess that means the spectator that was killed had it coming then. I'd be more interested in hearing what Stanage says about whoever replaces Biden. A huge decision for the Democrats and the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

They're releasing a special podcast with Stanage next week

New episode with Stanage is up now.

I got to say, do people like geopolitics discussed by Irish accents because I don’t see why the stand would be anyone’s pod of choice to follow the US election. The stand is fine but eamon repeating the same “what does it say about modern American that voters would consider electing a man like Trump” question nearly every time with stanage becomes tedious.

Same as bringing up Trumps comment to the proud boys to “stand back and stand by” every single show during his presidency.

there is far better coverage done of the republican convention and the last week of the US events done by pods like the The NY Times daily pod and the Rachman review….just no Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

You could say the same thing about a lot of podcasts. In fairness to Stanage, he tries to stay neutral and he is a contributor worth listening to. There are so many podcasts out there, it's hard to know where to start. Also, we know the American media is so polarised these days, an Irish reporter is a safe option for your average listener.

I agree about Eamon's repetitiveness. We really don't need to hear that Proud Boys comment for the millionth time. He seems to have stopped repeating the Tory after dinner speakers comment back to Chris Johns, which may mean something was said.

Its the nature of podcasts alright to have a certain bias. They aren't tax payer funded after all so the host can do as they please. And no doubt that's one of the reasons Eamon does them so that he doesn't have to toe the line for any organisation. I respect that. It's not like he is outrageously biased either. Criticism of the Tories and Trump is justified in my view. I remember him hammering Labour after the last UK election so he's not completely one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Eamon's views can wander a bit but he has been like that for as long as I can remember. He is what he is and if you think he's biased, other podcasts are available. I don't have any problem with the number of episodes he puts out either. If he was to produce more, he'd have to hire somebody to help him out. Next thing you know, there would be paywalls. We get a lot for free and I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Eamon is in his eightys no? He will understandably begin to repeat himself, become fixated on certain things. The quality of his contributors is what keeps me listening. I hope I'm as good as him if I get there despite him being a pain in the hole at times

Second captains have an interview with Eamon uploaded today. An interesting conversation with him on different topics.

We chat to Eamon about the latest wild happenings in the US Election, the rise of nationalism, the new Ireland manager and his old job of stopping Robin Friday from sparking up a spliff during their days together playing for Reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement