Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapist sentenced to 8 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Here you are attempting to downplay the actions of a rapist. Very relevant.

I did not downplay the actions of the rapist in the slightest. Nor did I “defend” R Kelly for that matter. I called him an idiot for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It doesn’t matter why she went outside with him , it doesn’t matter why she went to the shed , it doesn’t matter if she kissed him or not . Non of this matters because she did not consent to be abused and raped and injured badly with bottles

He raped her , he abused her , he injured her , he damaged her .
    Brave brave girl to speak up like she did , well done to her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Your take on P-Diddy was that he was careless in getting caught on cctv when he was beating the crap out of his girlfriend. You didn't care about the actual assault itself, just the fact that he didn't cover his tracks.

Meanwhile here you are victim blaming in a rape case.

• Advertisement

Where and how did I blame the victim here please?
    Actually, don’t bother responding. I’m sure your reports will be graciously received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

On Newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am listening to her now . She is an amazing woman .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

She’s coming across incredibly well. Lovely articulate woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭aero2k

Indeed. Sadly there have been many strong women giving such interviews over the years, but she is unusually articulate. I'm not a fan of Ivan, but fair play to him for letting her tell her story without interruption.

As awful as the assault was, the five year wait for justice must have been torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yes, our Taoiseach has said that, but I do have to point out, that men can be victims of sexual violence as well, and are even less likely to report than women.

So we all have a role to play here, both men and women.

Having said that, asking questions of all parties concerned to determine what happened when an assault is reported, is necessary. Investigations have to be fair across the board.

My biggest issue is the speculation that follows cases like these, which is really barely veiled victim blaming. It is still very prevalent and needs to stop. It's here on this thread.

Questioning why Blathnaid did this, or why didn't she do that… why did she go into the shed with Moran. These questions are NOT relevant to what happened once they were in the shed.

Talk of "could she have escaped" or "why didn't she leave earlier…" when the most relevant question is

Why didn't he just NOT rape her?

Consent is ongoing and can be withdrawn at any time.

This is the message that needs to be strongly put across, and I don't know why so many people, simply do not get it. I once engaged on a thread here, and was subjected to the height of abuse because I defended someone's right simply not to be touched without permission. (In that case it was a woman, but it applies to men too).

What bothers me most about the rapist Johnny Moran in this case, is that he spent five years, and right up to the sentencing he refused to accept what he did was wrong. His solicitor said he "struggled with it" but then reluctantly decided to "accept the decision" of the Court. Notably, he didn't struggle with what he did to Blathnaid. He struggled with it being called rape.

His "acceptance" of the verdict was most likely on the advice of his solicitor, in order to mitigate a lesser sentence. I personally don't believe for one second, that he actually accepts what he did was rape. He was also found to be a "moderate risk" of re-offending.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

He's obviously not the brightest individual, claiming he didnt know how her dna got on the bottles in the shed, all three of them both vaginally and anally. No answers for the injuries she suffered either. I think this is truly a heinous crime. I would have been in favour of giving him a longer sentence.

I hope this one individual doesnt lead to a further divide between women and men in Ireland. Theres a villification going on of irish men in the media currently which isnt going to help society. Is alot of coverage warranted in cases like this, yes, but important to remember this is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

A lot of that divide only seems to appear on social media, in real life it doesn't seem to be as exaggerated as the dramatists you see on Facebook, tiktok, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The point is that, in most of these cases, there will be men who try to justify, mitigate & defend the actions of their mates. Ireland will of changed when no one defends these crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Titanium11

I didn't know he anally raped her with a bottle aswell.

What the hell was wrong with him. Who does that.

That's some sadistic ****. Sign of an extremely dangerous man

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Lecter8319

Couldnt get it up for his sick deed so decided to use bottles instead. When questioned about it, said the likes of anal is disgusting to him and not something he's into.

I'm aware we're not aware of all the evidence of the trial but ffs, thats sick. Thank god it was at least plastic bottles over glass.

I think the DNA on the bottles is critical to the trial & the timeline of events after it which allowed the gards to obtain the evidence quickly.

I was watching a couple of blathnaids interviews.

I agree with one thing that she said.

She said that sports teams in Ireland need to have lessons on consent and respect.

I absolutely agree with this. The worst men I have ever met in Ireland have been men who play sports. The culture seems to promote alpha male, showing off, and an entitlement to have sex with women at the weekend. They treat women like a piece of meat.

No matter what the woman wants. The attitude is often "but sure how could she say no to me I'm a sports star". What she wants doesn't matter at all, I'm entitled to sex.

There needs to be consent and respect classes in sports clubs

I think another things that needs to be examined aswell is that certain men seen to link a lot of their self of sense identity and their self value to sex, so if a woman says no to them they don't know how to process it properly and they become absolutely enraged.

"How dare she say no to me" .

Any time that i have said no to sex myself, its never been received well.

i remember some men becoming absolutely enraged with anger when I said no, including one of my long term boyfriends.

I remember I said no to sex to one man and he tried to start something again and I said "I'm saying no and you have to respect that, and he said

"but you're saying no to me". And he got extremely angry. Like how could I a lesser person that him (in his eyes) possibly say no to him

I think there needs to be more lessons and teaching to people on consent, and on how to accept a no.

Is the transcript of his interview with guards anywhere?

• Advertisement

I was just chatting to my female friends yesterday about blathnaid. We all live in the midlands of ireland and blathnaids case has really upset us.

my female friend said yesterday to me

"Being a woman can feel like you are living in hell". How could hell be worse than here. It is like hell. We are already living in a place where we are constantly touched groped sexually assaulted and disrespected a lot. By people bigget than us.

And I agreed with her. Like, as a woman you can't do anything without constantly feeling afraid of the people who are bigger than you.

She said she wished there was a female only island where we could go on holidays to escape the constant fear. I would like to go for a holiday there too.

They've started making a couple of female only hotels around Europe. That's a start for safety.

I would also like female only train carriages. I've been groped on the luas and train way too many times

Consent and respect classes in sports clubs. Now I’ve heard it all. It’s the same reactive reactive hysteria that followed the Ashling Murphy case.

It was blathnaid raleigh, the rape victim, who said that there should be consent classes in sports clubs. She said it in her recent interview.

Did you see her interview on it.

So you disagree with what she said. Why.

Youre allowed to disagree but in an intelligent discussion, you need to state your points about why you disagree.

Why do you disagree? Why do you think consent classes in sports clubs would be a bad idea?

THe blathnaid raleigh case is the tip of the iceberg. There is an absolute epidemic of sexual violence In Ireland. As our taoiseach has also said. He recently said "there is an epidemic of gender based violence in Ireland against women"

Maybe women are just sick to **** death of being raped. I know so many women who have raped, assaulted etc in ireland

Surely we have the right to live in a society where we are not raped.

We have a right to have basic human rights

Titanium11, I speak to you as another woman.

You are coming across as very emotional (which is understandable) but also very "anti-man" in your posts, and that is not actually helpful.

Because not all men are as you describe and by lumping them all together, it actually discourages them from listening when we speak and clouds the message we trying to send.

Please think about that.

People said on this thread that you said on another thread that

"puff daddy was careless to be caught on camera beating a woman",

That's an extremely odd and strange thing to say.

You've also said some very odd things on here. S

If you care to read back, what you're saying makes no sense at all.

Where did i say that "all men do this?"

I never that. I never said all men do this. As obviously that wouldn't be an accurate thing to say

Specifically, in my first post I actually wrote the words "not all men".

So what on earth are you about?

How me

I take offense to what you wrote there as you can't just make up things that I didn't say.

I never ONCE said that all men rape women

I specifically wrote in my first post "not all men" do this.

I later wrote in the thread, "saying that we need consent classes in Ireland is NOT saying that all men are rapists.

So don't come on here and make things up and write that I said things that I never said.

Ok, fair enough, you're not hearing yourself right now, or are in any way receptive to hearing others.

You are making sweeping generalisations though, and they don't help anyone.

I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

A “consent and respect class” would not have stopped this attack. Do you seriously think that it would have made any difference to the rapist once he had decided what he was going to do? It’s condescending to assume that men are collectively too ignorant to guess that a woman might not want to be penetrated with foreign objects in a garden shed.

It is clear that you don’t understand the mindset of a rapist or otherwise violent criminal, or else you wouldn’t be pushing such alarmist generalisations.

So you always believe whatever someone claims, or only when their claims suit your narrative?

Advertisement