Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Ronaldo, Mbappe? I want my money back!

Educate yourself with this. American sport writers are not shy about money in sport

The knockout bracket looked unbalanced before a ball was kicked. It has been unbalanced further by France’s failure to win their group, meaning they join SpainGermanyPortugal and Denmark in the top half of the bracket.

…….
    Some competitions are based on a free draw, such as the FA Cup. Others, such as the NFL or NBA, see teams ranked on their regular-season record, which should theoretically ensure the two strongest teams in either conference end up on opposite sides of the draw.

Why do the NFL and NBA fix their competitions to keep the strongest teams apart? The same reason they do anything- money. If Switzerland or Turkey win this thing, heads will roll and rules will change.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5592003/2024/06/26/euro-2024-draw-england-favourites/

You give abuse, I don’t. Bye-bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Hopefully Switzerland win to finally end the constant talk about England. Although it probably won't stop there. We're not Little England, they're just another country in these euros and there's a far more exciting game on at 8 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is nonsense. You plainly dont know what you are talking about nor does the writer you copied and pasted.

The NFL dont fix draws to keep teams apart. Even the excerpt you posted clarifies it is based on regular season ranking. This is as much fixing as UEFA does with Euro seedings and groups. The NFL dont redraw the playoff rankings when they realise a big team didnt win their conference.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Netherlands 🇳🇱 Vs Turkey 🇹🇷

Quarterfinal / 8pm Kick-off.

Typical Little England response, they're known as Türkiye.

• Advertisement

Netherlands 🇳🇱 Vs Türkiye 🇹🇷

Quarterfinal / 8pm Kick-off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Thank you. The article mentions nothing about sponsors complaining either. In fact, it just looks at the vagaries of cup football, which we all know about.

Also, it's written by Oliver Kay, an English (not American) journalist.

And one last time - it's the last eight. It's almost unavoidable having a big clash at this stage. And arguably that's what the sponsors want to generate interest. A huge tie with one of the favourites guaranteed to be leaving.

On this afternoon's game - I wasn't expecting a thrill-fest from Portugal v France given how they'd played to date, but I still expected it to be better than England v Switzerland. I very much hope I'm wrong...

Switzerland are usually dreadful when it comes to the knockout stages but at least were lively enough against a poor Italy. England - well we all know about Southgate.

There's a Swiss win there if they fancy it or believe in it. But how much do the non-top teams get spooked just by the name "England"?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Thought England were always seen as the money whale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw this on Twitter..

I know technically no crime has been committed but I feel like both Deschamps and Martinez should be arrested for this.

https://x.com/paul_c_watson/status/1809332552416538827

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If no one laughed at "Little England", it's not because they missed it.

Never repeat a joke that fell flat the first time.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

in fairness, it is Deschamps trademark and it seems to work (4 semi finals in 5 competitions).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭archfi

Tony O'Donoghue's intro (and standing in his jeans and trainers) was top RTE cringe.

I don't care who wins this one, I just want a good game and not a replay of Por-Fra

Now Shay Given is landing thick with the political/election puns

Now for some reason it's a defence of Southgate due to his activism, from O'Donoghue and Sadlier!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Sometimes a joke flies over people's heads but you've somehow bamboozled yourself with a regular comment that wasn't even a joke. Fair play to ya. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭jj880

Very sanitised studio these days. Dunphy and Bill. What a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Swiss getting their priorities put out there

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Who the fk is that commentator on RTE who never shuts the fk up?

Very mediocre half, England, for what it's worth, on top.

Unimpressive stuff.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Ronnie Whelan talking some shite "this has to be a penalty" over a complete nothing incident.

You'd think he'd at least try and hide his bias while he's a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nah, i got it - just wondered after i posted it was overthinking it!

They seem to be doing OK at the moment though. Certainly more urgency…

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

And Germany is known as Deutschland, Spain as España etc.

🙈🙉🙊

….. not forgetting Éire 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Yet another hard watch.

Hoping tonight’s game has more action

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

Dire stuff. Was just looking at the lidl ads around the pitch to see what food theyd show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭shockframe

Is it wrong to think that international football is the most overrated and disappointing in all of sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭maximus15

Ronnie wengland won't agree with any decision given against England. Can't wait for them to get knocked out so can go back to English channels for rest of games . Rte commentary unbearable and no way can listen to bias bbc and itv while they are still in tournament .

Still unbearable after 70 minutes.

Really, really poor from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

This is as bad as last night’s borefest

Xhaka pretending he couldn't see when he got up 🤣. Pathetic but funny.

• Advertisement

Yeeeeeeeoooooooohhhh!!!!

Advertisement