Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stevie Nicks 3Arena 3rd July 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I didn't enjoy it at all, too much talking and didn't hear the songs I thought I would. Didn't find any of her stories remotely interesting

I was at rod Stewart and Diana Ross 2 years ago, both were older than Stevie is now but put on much better shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I really enjoyed the show. I’m not a Fleetwood Mac fan but I do like Stevie’s solo material and her voice is unique. Sound was perfect in Block F. I could have done without the storytelling but she is an icon and has earned the right to deliver the show she wants. Although I followed the setlist in the U.S. and knew pretty much what to expect, however I am amazed she doesn’t do “Rooms on Fire” live. Incredible song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Only saw this now, interesting what some said re: her band, I thought they sounded excellent and performed every bit as well. I’d have to say that Waddy Wachtel is easily one of the most tasteful guitarists I have ever had the privilege of seeing live and the bit he played just before Edge of Seventeen was out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Manchester and Glasgow postponed, must be something in the water in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought she was limping on her left leg at the Dublin gig. I just put it down to aches & pains that come with age

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah I was the exact same. She moved around a good bit but looked in discomfort and similarly thought it was age.

Very fortunate that she played so. Lindsey Buckingham postponed his tour due his illness and never returned and you'd worry for similar for Nicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not a Stevie Nicks fan but I’d be raging if I’d paid that amount of cash to see an artist perform 14 songs and just waffle making small talk for the remainder of their time on stage. Beyond disrespectful.

If she has been having health / mobility issues…. For a segment of the show, sit down.

If her voice isn’t up to it, she should realise and quit touring.

Stones, a bunch of lads in their 80’s… 20 song set list, two hour set. A bit of BSing by Jagger at certain stages to give them a break…..

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-rolling-stones/2024/empower-field-at-mile-high-denver-co-63ab82cf.html

I had tickets for Lindsey twice in Dublin over the last 8 years or so. Both gigs were cancelled. I was lucky to see Fleetwood Mac twice in Dublin before Lindsey was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Agreed, its a total cash grab, 14 songs is just laughable.

Lindsey Buckingham only charged 67 euro for his show in Dublin, albeit it was cancelled, that would have been 20 songs.

• Advertisement

Bit laughable that the merit of how good or value for money a gig is for some is how many songs are played. Paying for a performance not an album.

I'd rather 14 fantastic songs from a musical legend supported by a brilliant band and one of the best session guitarists out there than 25 average songs simply because 25 is more than 14. What a sad, reductive way to consider a gig.

She was on stage for 2 hours 15 minutes and there was at least 1 hour 30ish of music. And her voice was great and the band were electric. Edge of Seventeen was about 11 minutes long.

People not at the gig complaining it was a rip off is tragic. 😂

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

That gives me a free pass to say I thought he was poor as a lead guitarist the other night. No way could that band be called "electric". They played the hits but were stilted and not free flowing. Very likely they were holding back to make it easier on Stevie. I did say earlier in the thread Hyde Park will be a struggle for this show. I suspect Manchester and Glasgow were bumped to make it easier on them to get ready for that gig.

This vid someone posted on YouTube from the other night is very accurate as to the kind of gig you did (or didn't) miss.

Her vocals weren't that vivid (versus the music) where I was sitting in Block B and it was a lot more balanced. That must be from right up against the speaker (given that tight angle). Just goes to show how variable the 3Arena is for sound.

No. But read the statement issued and how it's worded. I reckon it happened before Dublin, and she's not as up recovery wise from that surgery as thought, and they know from the Dublin gig they need time to consolidate for Hyde Park.

I wonder if the disappointment in the band by some is because we have heard many of these songs at a Fleetwood Mac gig and done far better. Stevie will always sound far better beside Lindsey

It was a good gig for what it was. Overpriced but good. She still has a pretty good voice. She sang live and unlike Don Henley she doesn't use pitch correction of auto tune. Unlike Don Henley she doesn't mime to a pre recorded live track

That's bang on. It was a good gig, not a great one, glad I saw her.

That's a very fair take and similarly I think Lindsey Buckingham has the somewhat similar issues when he plays solo that it's not quite Fleetwood Mac when he plays in the those songs, no matter how good he plays and how incredible his guitar work is. I never knew that about Don Henley, every day is an education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not sad, or laughable …. it’s about getting value for money. Look at the sets Fleetwood Mac did before they stopped touring.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2019/bell-mts-place-winnipeg-mb-canada-b9d6946.html

Stones the same, plenty of waffle out of Jagger but they’ll stay and play 20 songs, including Midnight Rambler which is also live about 10 minutes plus. And lots of other classics where they drag out solos have extended jams and audience participation….

people literally get the best of both worlds…..

I’ve never gone to a gig and left eulogising about what X artist ’said’… I get ‘older’ artists might want to take more breaks but people are there to hear music.

Laughable that you eulogise the merit of an artist by the time they spend out there as opposed to the amount of music they play for people who are spending heaps of their cash to see them.

Did you learn the word "eulogise" today?

I didn't "eulogise" the gig at all based on how long she was out there, my post simply pointed out that an arbitrary "she played 14 songs" means fűck all in isolation outside of demonstrating that people can count. I originally said "Over two hours of an incredible show" but it was you who brought up that the Stones played for 2 hours as a comparative point for whether it was value for money so hey, if how long they play for doesn't matter, maybe don't bring it up yourself. A pub singer might play 30 songs in a night , it's hardly a better performance purely because they played twice as many songs. I didn't bring any of these irrelevant metrics to the table on judging value for money. The "incredible show" was what made it value for money for me.

And again, "eulogise" about what she said? I said I found her "quite interesting", I hardly claimed it was MLK's I Have a Dream speech.

If someone was there and didn't like the show, found it short, thought the sound was crap, didn't think it was value for money or whatever, that's cool and a very valid opinion. But the opinion of someone who wasn't there and judges it based on two isolated metrics... Might as well be reviewing a film from its imdb page.

Advertisement