Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Also camogie were dreadfull

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Now probably isn’t the time but sure really everything starts and stops with the county board and I am not happy with them and I wasn’t for a long time. Now in reality we need three intercounty managers where we find it difficult to get one. The minor and U20s have potential and might be a bit of competition. But the senior is a complete rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭kk.man

Awful weekend again. Fair play to Clare.

I have been saying this for a couple of years, we have no bench. It's 75 min game and it humanly not possible for all 15 players to keep momentum going. Clare brought on good players mid way in the second half and drove the thing on. We brought on players who should have retired 5 years ago. Anyway with our long game we were never going to stop limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Lads need to realise our actual playing numbers is tiny .......it's going to take an awful lot of work and money to get us back near winning an all Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I’d say you left some load in your trousers when that final whistle blew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Lets be honest that was a very poor showing. Clare were awful in the first half but came out roaring in the second half and only for the goal I think the game would have being over much sooner. We ran out of ideas both on the sideline and on the field.

When you bring Fogarty and Walsh off the bench who great servants as they are you know the writing is on the wall.

This was the season to be blooding new players who could add some dynamic off the bench. But instead Lyng went with tried and trusted.

There is massive change needed. The whole script needs to be ripped up and changed. If we keep doing the same thing we will get the same result. We have being basically doing the same thing for the last 10 years.

The only saving grace today is that IMO we would not have won the next day and losing 3 in row would have being a savage dissappointment.

A question for posters here as i dont post a lot. When was the last time you were really excited by a Kilkenny Team and you looked forward to playing any county. We have been functional for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Don’t know the poster, but this is as true a statement as you will find anywhere on this site.

aside, the hurling scene has changed. KK can no longer rely on the mentality, heritage, etc of yesteryear to bring players on. KK need to understand you need to deliberately grow them and our county board has not grasped that nettle yet.
    Being competitive at underage does not cut it anymore, as players don’t hang around or train on unless they are getting something from it by winning all irelands. Kids are different now.

Lyng, nice guy, but must step aside now. KK are going backwards since Cody left. We once would fight like dogs for every ball. That’s gone.
    The county board need to come up with the funds to make the changes that are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭kk.man

Agree with alot but don't think Lynn should go but he better change personel and style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Even if everything forchange said was true there’s a time and a place, and he really doesn’t have to be so quick to stick the boot in when we’re down. I rarely read other threads apart from this one now because of all the immature slating that goes on so you could do without getting it from one of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Having been in croke Park in the noughties to watch KK winning their all irelands.. it is very hard to believe that KK have now gone nine seasons without winning Liam McCarthy.. and it doesn't look as if the drought is going to end anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Lads the personnel is simply not there and hasn't been for a while and hard to see where it's going to come from over the next 5/6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

What's happening at underage??? I remember 20 years ago ye had the best underage system in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ttowncat

Abroad and cldnt make the game. Was their a packed middle by clare that we cldnt work the ball further up field before launching?

Didn't help that mullen was way off his game, especially in terms of link up and setting up play. Abysmal from most forwards. Terrible ball sent in also.

Tv commentary said how comfortable we were moving the ball around in first half. Specifically at the back. No sign of that in the middle 3rd on second half.

Terrible to lose. Had all the cards and lumped it away. On the other side of it if clare had any zip or accuracy to their play in the first half then there wldnt have been much much of a gap at half time... and murphys save...

Terrible pity to lose as that's the last tilt at it for a very, very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Very hard to know how good we are or aren’t after this season. Mixed results. Some players below expectations. Some players probably played above expectations (Deegan, Donnelly). We were always 4-5 players short of matching Limerick this year. Not saying we have 4-5 players better than the ones starting but as another poster said, we don’t have the numbers for whatever reason. Saying Lyng should go and saying we are better being beaten today than having to face Limerick and lose again is just ridiculous. Clare won’t beat Limerick if that’s who they face but I don’t think they will be embarrassed if they are beaten by them for the third time this year.

The hurlers are there…we’ll be okay. The same few posters come on here saying the same things after a defeat .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Have we ever gone a decade of not winning an All Ireland? After this years All Ireland, there's five left. I personally can't see us winning one in the 20s

Mullen was carrying an injury and was far from 100% fit unfortunately. Obviously Lyng thought he was fit enough to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Nobody knows whether we would have beaten limerick or cork all irrelevant now.think Lyng should stay and try re build.but today IMO we should have won, had all the cards and fucked it up.more than anything clare did

Post edited by hogans heroes at

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Kilkenny didn’t win an All Ireland in the first 2 decades of the GAA or the 20s. Tipperary are the only ones to have won one in every decade

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Forwards didn't perform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Clare were bad, disappointing one to lose. Needed subs on a lot earlier, thought lyng was way too slow to make changes. Was Mullen injured? Never got a clean strike on the ball. Billy Ryan had his best game. The aimless long ball was a killer at the end, energy was gone completely to compete for it. Hopefully tj hangs around another year, some performance at his age

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

When did we start to take our eyes off the ball? Our generational players where kids in the 90s so most of the work was done there. I'd say from mid to late 00s is when we started to become complacent regarding our development of players

not many of them given a decent chance the last few years. Dropped after one bad game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Brian017

During the 90's/early 00's you used to always see kids with hurleys beating the sliotar of a wall in their housing estate green, nowadays it's a rare sight

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

Hard to see where we go from here.

The county is just in a rut. We don’t have the quality, we lack the tactical nous, and we lack the hurling.

I remember the mid 90’s when we were most definitely 3rd best in Leinster never mind the country, and times seemed bleak. Today just feels like we’ve lost more than a match, like we’ve lost something that made Kilkenny the greatest hurling county in the country.

And you know what? It’s hard to be enthused by the game. Today was simply another poor game, lacking excitement, lacking a buzz. You’d swear all week we were done in the championship already such was the lack of buzz. We’ve had so many poor games to watch now over the past few seasons, I think people are being put off.

I don’t know, as mad as we are about hurling, the feel for the game doesn’t seem to be there. Everything feels stale, and it’s showing in our county teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

This is by no means an excuse but the ref made some very bad calls for frees that Clare got 4 points off today and probably the best handpass of the day was Mossies which he deemed to be a throw, Huw's yellow was bizarre to say the least but Carey was dragged to the ground by the face guard and nothing. As for Hogan?? the corner back, he's a better diver than Tom Daley. Rant over, Kilkenny should have buried it in the first 15 minutes of the second half but didn't and the better team won in the end. Best of luck to Clare, do it for Daly (Anthony) 👍👏

Post edited by Comerman at

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

I hope all the lads here posting were at the game.

The support for Kilkenny was absolutely embarrassing for an All Ireland semi final.

Lads should start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Lads are still entitled to their opinion whether they were at the game or watching it on the telly

• Advertisement

Yeah he may as well stay, still learning, let him rebuild now, there was no all Ireland left behind that another manager would have won

Advertisement