Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company changes being left out in the cold

Options
  • 06-07-2024 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys I try be quick and vauge to protect confidential.

Been with a company for a year. Decent size and growing in a competitive industry.

This year they announce changes they were going to make. My role was going to change and people would be moved around. But it was not a cost cutting exercise and not getting rid of people.

We had lots of meetings and felt safe and trusted about these new opportunities and that they were open to everyone.

We were given a list of 8 jobs of mostly new roles and one including my current role.

I applied for 3 new positions. I didn’t want to apply for my current role due issues with the job.

We got word back yesterday and did not get an offer or even an interview for these positions.

My team of 6, three got offers for current role and the other two are doing interview for the job they are currently doing.

Which means no one got offers or interviews for anything other then there current position.

I feel so stupid. I obviously would have just stuck with my current role. Be safe and be making more money.

Now I have no idea what's next. My boss called before the emails were sent out. Saying he be in touch with offers for next week and discuss it more.

To me it's clear this is a way of getting rid of people without having to fire them.

I feel so let down and upset by the company. I am angry at myself too for believing them and not just sticking with my current role.

Legally speaking if they offer me noting or something thats less money and that's ****, can I do anything about it?

Just venting a bit too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you been notified that your current role is disestablished? Cos it doesn't sound like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I didn’t think that you could be let go unless your job is gone.

Redundancy applies to the role not the person.

my company occasionally advertises “new” roles but everyone knows who is going to get the job.
    currently they are reorganising and changing procedures, we’ve been told jobs are safe. But there were rumours of having to apply for your job, and no guarantee you’d get it. So we asked and HR gave information and assurances re how redundancy worked and emphasised that if roles were going people would be offered new roles.

See what your boss says. But dig out any correspondence or information you were given.

and also ask for feedback on the interviews you did. Like why didn’t you get the jobs.. and who did? Smart money says the present incumbent got the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jo187

YYeah In December my position be gone. My work will be divided by the people staying in this position.

It was alas said these roles be reduced with the point of the new roles being there to provide jobs for people and give opportunities

There was no interviews. We were asked to pick three from a list of 8.

Lot people just got offers and some got interviews.

I got noting. I was told they were over sucribde. I.e. senior people got them, we were told that would not be a factor and naively I belive that.

If I put down my current role I probably would have got it.

My fear is I be given the jobs no one want or worse noting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

But you said your current position will be gone in december anyway?

i think you are over-worrying here. see what they say about the next options/steps first

• Advertisement

Update talk with the boss.

No update. I basically be offered what ever left and don't like there the door.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you hated your current position to such a state that you did not even bother to apply for it and you failed to land any of the positions you were interested in, is not time to be planning your exit in any case?

Yeah that's it. Hated might be too strong of a word. I rather have that job now then noting and having to go somewhere else.

Never fun starting a new job and what you could be walking into.

I'm more disappointed at how navie I was for believing them and the company leading us down a garden path.

Advertisement