Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think it's not that surprising. Many people are not getting married or having children anymore. Given the state of the place, and little hope for improvement, the question of "why bother?" isn't entirely unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭chalky_ie

I don't think you've ever had a decent take in this thread.

It's a 210 bed "co-living" scheme. In other-words, it's a modern-day tenement, and we know precisely what the state would love to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

There is a huge fallacy here; Ireland is a country of home ownership. This is the policy of the State enacted by our governments. We do not have a developed rental market for a reason and it is because the policy is for people to buy their own home. As a result, all houses within Dublin city should be affordable for people earning Dublin salaries but unfortunately existing homeowners have hijacked policy and directed resources to inflating their own house prices which makes the home ownership policy a pipe dream in Dublin for people that work there. The same people cheering on “housing for me but not for thee” policies see also blocking rental developments and public transport expansions through their Dublin villages. Now we are effectively seeing gaslighting with these “affordable homes” with posts such as yours. Quite simply, attitudes such as yours do not see a housing crisis - as you do not think house prices are severely overvalued in Ireland because it would probably mean that your own house is overvalued significantly!

This doesn't really make any sense, the house prices in Dublin are a result of rapid development in terms of industry there(tech and pharma mostly), the overall change in nature of Ireland as a country, from a developing nation to an advanced one, and finally the cost of building. These are the main drivers for house prices, you can't just stop these things from happening in isolation to solve the problem. If they built a heap more houses, they would still cost what they cost to build, the developer would still need to make a profit on them, and the average joe still wouldn't be able to buy one on their 50k salary.

Can you name any major cities in the developed world that have solved this issue without just pushing low earners further from the centre? Dublin is no different, only in size, meaning that the centre is basically most of the county.

As I said, Ireland is a country of home ownership and therefore neglects its rental market in terms of renter protection and ensuring an adequate supply of suitable rentals for all types of tenants. This is on purpose and is what is accepted since the primary goal in our housing market is to have people own their own home. The government has literally inflated house prices and decreased supply of homes to buy on purpose in an almost criminal act and in defiance of a stated home ownership policy. There is no other city to compare Dublin with in Europe for its size as renting is more common in cities which are typically brought up so you can’t compare. Seeing houses in Coolock at the top of an affordability ceiling for most potential first time buyers despite being brought to market “below market price” (which we know is artificially inflated by political intervention) is a catastrophic failure of policy and dereliction of duty from FF and FG who have ensured this state of affairs.

“Fine Gael is the party of home ownership” - how is €450k for houses in Coolock supposed to ensure people can access homes to buy?

https://www.finegael.ie/housing/

The irony as well with the local NIMBYs there being traditionally seen as “working class”!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You should spend a little more time reading posts rather than writing your own ranting ones.

Or are you of the opinion that it is normal and expected that houses in Coolock should be priced beyond the means of 100k+ earners?

• Advertisement

I am stating that there should be a minimum level of housing affordability within Dublin where anyone with reasonable income can afford to buy and seeing €450k new builds in Coolock being championed as being affordable is a p1sstake when €100k is needed to afford those houses and these are supposed to be below market! When €100k is seen as the breadline when it comes to buying a house, that is a catastrophic failure in housing policy that supposedly aims to achieve home ownership!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Go back and read what you are responding to.

I replied to another poster who appeared to have the position that houses in Coolock should be that price due to their "closeness' to the city. In that reply I mentioned that it isn't all that close in reality for the size of Dublin. In addition, if the poster thought that Coolock should be beyond a 100k (unsubsidised) person, then I asked how far out they'd expect a teacher to have to go.

That chain of back and forth started when I said it was ridiculous that people on 100k were considered as needing subsidies to buy a house in Coolock. You then took issue with that and said

Quite simply, attitudes such as yours do not see a housing crisis - as you do not think house prices are severely overvalued in Ireland because it would probably mean that your own house is overvalued significantly!

Sorry, yeah. I meant to reply to Data Dude who was seemingly trying to justify the Coolock houses by comparing Dublin to other European cities.

Dublin cannot be compared to other cities as Ireland has a stated aim for achieving home ownership whereas other European cities are geared more for renting. Our own rental market also reflects that home ownership is the goal with its lack of tenant protections, lack of supply of family apartments and lack of storage within apartments - Irish apartments are only for short term living as people should be buying a home after renting is what the government are stating. Therefore, it is totally irrelevant to compare the Irish housing market with other countries and we can rightly call out BS when it comes to the Coolock houses which take at least €100k in income to afford!

Otherwise, when defending it I think people should be honest and admit they are happy with the current housing situation in Ireland because they are benefitting from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

Ireland does not have a functioning rental market (agreed). Therefore Ireland should be able to produce abundant affordable housing in its capital city, which no other country in the world has managed to do….if only it were that simple.

It’s a nice idea but it’s just not going to happen. Anyone who tells you it is is selling a pipe dream.

Fixing the rental market is a much more realistic aim.

"It’s a nice idea but it’s just not going to happen. Anyone who tells you it is is selling a pipe dream."

This. I'm really tired of hearing that the problems Ireland faces have easy fixes or that they may be fixed "overnight". They cannot. The pension collectors, wastrels, crooks and lunatics that are running this investment fund with a flag have sailed the ship to the edge of a waterfall, and there's no easy way out. The only genuine solutions are unpalatable to most people, and none of them come without a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

In a survey of build costs released this week 2 cities on the same island 150km apart came top and bottom of the table

Are we striving with taxpayers money to make the problem worse or better?

If we agreed to stop making the situation worse that would be a significant step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Election year, time to make those stats look better than they actually are add in a 5billion spending and tax cut budget. Inflation, How are you

Source Sunday Business Post

finance officials told McGrath that figures indicating that there were 53,000 commencements in the twelve months to April 2024 were “highly skewed and of diminished usefulness” for measuring the level of housebuilding in the state.The spike in April was “very likely” due to the high level of submissions of commencement notices ahead of an April 24 deadline for builders to avail of a development levy waiver and water connection charge rebate. The deadline was subsequently extended

How are prices continually increasing when significant costs are removed. Electorate taken for fools

Dejavu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

deleted

Post edited by combat14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are asking why the selling prices are increasing even though costs are lower, I suspect the answer lies both in demand, and the number of people who continue to be able to afford new houses. I haven’t seen any property remaining unsold, have you?

If you are asking why building costs remain high, it is because there is more to building than development levies and water connection charges.

Comparing costs in different jurisdictions is never a precise indicator, differing economies and construction sectors are of course going to through up price disparities.

And datadude’s viewpoint is a fair one to make, a new build so close to the centre of any capital city is going to be more expensive. Consideration should be given to the relative affordability for the location and proximity, rather than just affordability.

People see Coolock from a subjective view and lose the plot over the price, in reality it's relatively close to the city centre, and a lot of the people buying in places like Coolock are not from Dublin, or even Ireland, and don't have a pre-conceived notion of what price point that area should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Blut2

Close to the city center of any city in of itself doesn't mean property is in a nice area and deserving of a high price. Plenty of areas much closer than Coolock, within walking distance of inner city cores, are poverty riddled. Most of Dublin 1 being a prime local example.

In a fully rational housing market it obviously shouldn't be this way - all the property within walking distance, or a 10min commute, of a city center should be prime real estate. But thats not how things work in the real world. Killiney has, is deserving of, far higher property prices than East Wall for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I would have thought a fully rational thinker would understand that inner city areas are not immune from social problems. Where would you move those poverty riddled occupants to if Dublin 1 was redeveloped into an affluent area for high income earners?

Make no mistake, the inner city area you refer to is indeed prime real estate, the problem with making it what you think it should be, is getting all the current inhabitants out, so those high price homes you think should be there, can be built for you young guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭pearcider

You know when people are trying to justify people earning hundred grand a year only being able to afford a gaf in Coolock that we are near the top of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Blut2

Dublin 1 is empirically not prime real estate in the housing market, as the current property prices per sqm vs actual prime real estate in Dublin show very cleary.

The social problems are exactly why its not prime real estate. And why neither is Coolock.

It's 2024, the country is not the same as it was in 2007, there isn't a hope this is 'the top' and there is some impending collapse coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭pearcider

Keep telling yourself that. Property, like everything else, goes in cycles. If you look at price history from 2012 to now you can see the accumulation phase from 2013-2021 and then the bull trap from 2022-2023 you can even see the “double top” with the first peak in 2022 and we are about to make the second peak now. Housing supply hit an all time low in March 2024 but is rising steadily now. It’s an 18 year cycle. You’d be a fool to buy now. Unemployment is rising and more supply is coming to the market next year. Potential buyers should be patient, conserve their capital and credit. And their job.

Nonsense. Until we see people on 150K a year struggling to buy a fixer-upper in rural Cavan, we won't even be scratching the top of the market! I think another few hundred billion in funny money and maybe another lockdown is what's needed to fatten up those pension funds.

Jokes aside, we have to be close to some sort of an asset bubble. Twenty years ago, money was generally discussed in the billions, but now the word "trillion" is being thrown about. For how much longer can this continue before something breaks?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭hometruths

I think you're right in the sense of viewing this through the lens of traditional asset pricing, technical analysis, market cycle, fundamentals etc, but I've learnt that none of that applies to residential property in Ireland.

People will continue argue that 500k affordable houses in Coolock makes total sense for some time to come, based on very little other than a herd mentality.

If you get caught up in the herd mentality on something like bitcoin, or gold, or stockmarket etc and buy at the top you'll get your fingers burnt when it bursts.

But with property you're likely to enjoy some sort of protection to the downside on the grounds that paying 500k for a house in Coolock was not your fault, sure didn't the government explicitly state that was the benchmark for affordability.

It's just another variation of the logic that paying very high prices in 2007 was nobody's fault but the banks who lent the money.

I think this could underpin prices for some time. Obviously eventually it will break but you'd be a brave person to call when that might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is supply actually rising though? I've seen no stats to suggest that, other than cyclical (and minor) summer rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭byrne249

We are clearly in stage 3 but the cycle could be 20 years. Would you wait another 4 years to buy and probably another 2 before they had dropped enough? Then the narrative is they'll never stop falling, those same people won't buy then either. I certainly wouldn't wait and didn't.

People who are paying attention and doing some legwork, which I would hazard includes the vast majority on this forum, will see the signs occurring well in advance of any actual drop. So far new builds are at 100% occupancy long before completion. So we're not quite there.

Somewhere in the midlands some time from now there will be an estate built that won't hit 100% occupancy, perhaps 95%, not a big deal, shortly followed up by another, and that will most likely be the first bell tolling. If some eagle eyed hawk spots this they will of course be told sure that's just the midlands. Who knows, maybe the foreign workers start going home in their droves from the tech jobs and nobody notices. Whatever it is, it most likely hasn't happened yet.

Advertisement