Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romance scams

Options
  • 06-07-2024 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was watching a Romance scam documentary on YT by Mariana van Zeller and I was struck by how stupid some people can be to send tens of thousands to a complete stranger. I also saw a few on Dr. Phil and they all seemed like normal non-mentally ill/disabled adults.

Someone said the explanation might cultural and that's probably true as most of these cases seem to come from America. Perhaps the "naive American" stereotype holds true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Plenty of those scams here too.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/garda-issue-warning-over-online-32117145

In romance, people often do not use their full logical brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

Don’t say they are stupid. These scammers target people that are not in the right place mentally at that particular time. It can happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, preying on people at a vulnerable time in their life. Mocking them makes it harder for victims to come forward, and easier for the scammers to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cathodrays

In my opinion, it's hard to have sympathy for someone who gives money to someone they have never met.

I can understand giving away large amounts of money to a friend/family member/acquaintance as people generally have a strong sense of trust in those they're close to, but a complete stranger seems a bit crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Romance itself is a scam.

Just ask Melania and her with all me money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The funniest is when they have given almost everything they own to someone they have not even video chatted to as a way to verify they actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

Because you are not in their mental state so it looks too obvious to fall for it. However, for some people, the loss of a family member, depression, stress at work and someone comes in your life, saying the right things and you miss all the flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People bought gamer girl bathwater. Openly a scam yet they did it anyway. I'd be more concerned with punishing scammers than turning on the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When you're horny or desperate for "romance", you're using the primitive part of your brain and not thinking rationally. Any man who has gone more than 2 hours since his most recent w@nk is liable to make a poor decision. Women also make poor decisions e.g. many women are attracted to and date men known for violent thuggery - then the women are somehow shocked when the violent thuggery is used on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Some people are blue pilled and don't want to accept the true nature of this world. This is why many people hate incel culture, they want to believe that the world is all sunshine and rainbows and that they will meet "the one". The average woman on Tinder has hundreds of matches so you shouldn't even bother playing the game if you are below 7/10 in looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I've never given a single dime to anyone woman, and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Someone told me once about their experience of being in a relationship with someone online who he had never met. She wasn't from Ireland but from somewhere which believed that all Irish men were handsome fellows with a sexy brogue that turned all the women into puddles, and carried pots of gold under their arms. He explained how she would ask him to sing Danny boy over the phone which made her all a quiver to the point of ecstatic pleasure. When I asked how did he know she wasn't faking it he replied, "oh *wink, you just know". I don't know how much he paid for the privilege but clearly it wasn't enough.

That was the day I realised our existence was more than likely just a coincidence in the greater scheme of things.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

Advertisement