Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rte on saorsat at 9.e question?.

Options
  • 06-07-2024 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭

hi guys is the euros football been shown live on rte 2 on saorsat?.

or do the still block all sporting events ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

no link for the thread in your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Question folks any figures for people who use Saorsat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

No official figures but rumoured to be less than a thousand

If the implemented the FTV card then that would mean there would be a lot more viewers of RTE on Saorsat and then there would be no block on all the live sporting events.

But when do RTE do anything right...................

Regardless, I suspect that saorsat will be gone by the end of this decade and Saorview by the end of the next decade.

Heres a message from a guy on the coast in the UK.

I bolted a Ka band lnb alongside my Ku lnb on a 1.3m prime focus dish and with all the correct settings got good Saorsat signals on 9e.
    BUT I am on the extreme west coast of the UK. Look at the foot print here --- 
    Having got it to work -- because I could -- I took the Ka lnb off and went back to my Saorview terrestrial aerial pointed at Mt Leinster which gives me everything available on Saorsat and more .
    Hope that helps . https://satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6714

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How much would it cost for RTÉ to setup a FTV card service and encryption?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Put it this way, the BBC used to do FTV cards via SKY until there was a smaller beam that covered these islands and it was cheaper to go FTA and pay for the overspill.

I wonder how much extra money TG4 have to pay the past year for transmitting their new Cula4 channel on saorsat ? Not that they'd care as they are awash with money

I can't imagine why anyone who had to pay to install saorsat wouldn't have it combined with UK/Free to air ? Imagine paying up to 400€+ installation cost, just to have Bog 1,2 & 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭decor58

I have seen a few around the country and that is what has been done, one dish with 2 lnb's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Yeah, grand. It's beside the point though. Saorsat is the infill service for Saorview - not Saorsat & UK FTA.

If Sky had picked up the UK rights for the Euros, where would that leave Saorsat viewers? They shouldn't need to depend on the UK FTA services (which Ireland has zero control over) to get the basic service that their TV license fee is supposed to cover.

The fact that the Euros were FTA anyway in all of the Saorsat 'overspill' locations just makes the decision to block them on Saorsat even more ridiculous.

Oh I agree it's ridiculous, I can't figure out why they'd be a need to block to it outside. Saorsat is such an niche service tho that it's certain that RTE couldn't be arsed sorting something out

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

What about FTA protected events? I only ask here as I can't seem to find a clear answer eitherway anywhere else.

As I understand, events like the Euros final are protected to ensure there are broadcast FTA. But.. it doesn't work if satellite viewers are forced to buy a subscription to watched an unblocked RTE, while the FTA RTE version on Saorsat is blocked off.

I may be slipping more to a 'broadcasting' point, than 'satellite' but . if you can't receive Saorview, you have no choice it seems than to pay a satellite subscription to see an FTA protected event such as this. (Unless to say it's freely available on the player covers it?) Or maybe 'Saorview protected events' is a better way to phrase it than 'FTA protected events'

I can understand blocking friendly matches or such that it would not be worth to pay the overspill costs to show ..but, is their not an obligation to show what has been legislated to be FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 c2r

I'd assume that it blocks the same content as is blocked from the Freeview transmissions in the north.

This may be a niche question, but how are Freeview getting their versions of RTE1 and RTE2 for broadcast from their transmitters in the north - are they taking the saorsat feed and rebroadcasting it; or is the feed and uplink/downlink different again?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

My understanding is that the feed for the RNI_1 mux in NI is fed from Donnybrook to either Divis or Black Mountain in Belfast via microwave link (or at least originally was, could be fibre-fed now) where it is multiplexed with additional data (e.g. Freeview EPG) before being distributed to relevant transmitter sites. It's definitely not fed from Saorsat or even cross-border Saorview transmissions, as when RTÉ2 was the only HD channel on both platforms the SD picture quality of RTÉ1 & TG4 on RNI_1 was better (720 x 576) than on Saorview & Saorsat (544 x 576) at the time (and still is better than Saorsat for TG4).

• Advertisement
Advertisement