Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see Lord Cameron and his Government has taken a case challenging the remit of the ICC to seek arrest warrants for Bibi and Gallant

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One senior Hamas government employee told the BBC that the Hamas attacks were “a crazy, uncalculated leap”.

He asked that we concealed his identity.

“I know from my work with the Hamas government that it prepared well for the attack militarily, but it neglected the home front,” he said.

“They did not build any safe shelters for people, they did not reserve enough food, fuel and medical supplies. If my family and I survive this war, I will leave Gaza, the first chance I get.”

Netanyahu was right.

There can never be peace or a ceasefire with Hamas if they are willing to treat their own people this badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭pjordan

Yep, amid all the totally justified criticism of Netanyahu and the IDF, the role and contribution of Hamas to the fate and suffering of Gaza civilians really has been lost. I'm surprised that it's taken 10 months into the conflict for such disillusionment and negative criticism to become voiced (Although considering how ruthless Hamas have proven themselves to be, I suppose the fate for any potential dissenters is also pretty obvious).

It really is breathtaking as I mentioned further up the thread, how Hamas and other Islamic militants can still seemingly find the resources to continue a military offensive and maintain underground bunkers/havens and supply chains (and no doubt adequate food and medical supplies) for their combatants and leadership, whilst the general populace of Gaza are exposed to shellfire and attack in the open air and being left to slowly starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hamas are a barbaric organisation with little regard for the suffering of their own people, no doubt about it.

Lets be honest though, Israel don't really care about Hamas. In fact, this whole mantra of completely defeating Hamas is very convenient for Israel, because they know Hamas will always exist in some shape or form in Palestine. This means they can continue to obliterate every square inch of palestinian territory under the guise of rooting out Hamas. The real goal for Israel is to use this momentum to indirectly and sometimes directly target, murder and persecute palestinians in the hope that they will leave their homes for good and then Israel can permanently occupy their land. The amount of land grabbing happening right now is frightening.

The longer this war goes on, the better it is for the Israeli hard right ultras. Palestine will eventually, whether in our life times or not, be nothing but a memory.

Netanyahu and his crowd can do whatever they want at this stage, and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭pjordan

Yep I'd agree with a lot of that. Defeating Hamas has just become a convenient excuse for a lot in Israel and I expect there are a lot of developers and real estate types within Israel and among the Jewish community worldwide (Jared Kushner!) studying the devastation in Gaza and only seeing potential for condos and profit once the land is conveniently cleared of the current nuisance that occupy it! In fact I'd say there's a range of plans and preferential deals already drawn up for such eventuality.

There is a considerable irony in the fact that, a bit like cockroaches in a nuclear war, the ones most likely to survive the ongoing onslaught are the Hamas fighters, leadership and the extremists. The hope for Israel is that the longer it goes on the more likely that more and more ordinary Gazan's will decide to give up and move elsewhere, just as soon as the opportunity arises (and it is in the vested interest of surrounding Muslim countries to ensure that that doesn't happen!)

• Advertisement

Of course what you wont acknowledge is that Bibi was perfectly content to shore up Hamas until it backfired on him. Bibi clearly doesn't want peace either. What unites Bibi and Hamas is their shared goal of survival at all costs regardless of what of the cost is to others. As an apologist for Israel, you will ignore there is a pair of them in it. In the same way you will be receptive to condemning Hamas for using human shields, but not a word from you when the IDF is caught doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The rockets probably aren't edible or suitable for liquefying for fuel for cooking etc.

It was 20 rockets. Hardly evidence of recent accumulation of anything. Far more likely just a local cache that was dormant in storage for months or years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All irrelevant.

Hamas are acknowledged by all as the head of state of Gaza. They are the ones who launched their war of aggression against Israel. To this very moment they remain totally defiant.

This war could end tomorrow if Hamas wanted it to. The ball is in their court.

Well no. Netanyahu stated many times that it would not stop based on just eliminating Hamas (which is in and of itself not achievable anyway)

It's very relevant, you dismiss it as irrelevant as you want to avoid criticising Nethanyu and Israel. If you were capable of being even handed you would acknowledge Nethanyu had stated many times the war will continue beyond any ceasefire. He knows when the war ends he is likely out on ear. It suits him perfectly fine to try to achieve a goal he probably knows is unattainable. He does not want peace and a moderate goverment in Gaza. He is on record as saying as much and his actions prior to October 7th make that clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Absolute nonsense. Israel was bombing Palestine the week before October 7th. I have absolutely zero respect for people who think this started with Hamas's attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Loads of footage coming out of Gaza this morning.

Including one of a babies head recovered from rubble and put into a bag and a girl who's had her jaw blown off.

But Hamas I suppose….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

A lot of what you say about Hamas is correct but your unwavering support for the IDF/Israel is hard to understand. I don't think you have once criticised their actions. Do you honestly think if Hamas weren't there that Israel wouldn't still be taking Palestinian land and bombing Palestine homes, they've being doing that for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bibi is obviously just playing games and has no intention to seek peace. He proposes things that he knows Hamas won't and probably can't agree to and that then gives him carte blanch to continue his attacks on the innocent Palestinians. Bibi doesn't want peace because he known that when the war ends so does his tenure as PM and then his past will catch up with him as the court cases begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I think Netenyahu knew he just needed to wait for the US election to take eyes off of Gaza, the same way Gaza took eyes off of Ukraine.

On the entire Guardian's international homepage page, there is just one news story title about it, no pictures. Palestinians are completely fuked. Gaza in ruins and Israel busy enacting a massive land grab in the West Bank.

Post edited by sock.rocker* on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This thread is practically dead at this stage. Palestine/Israel just isn't hot enough anymore. Some of the focus has returned to Ukraine but a lot of it has gone on to UK, French and US elections it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

And on and on it goes………………

"At least 16 people were killed in an Israeli strike on a school
    sheltering displaced Palestinian families in central Gaza, the
    Palestinian health ministry said, in an attack Israel said had targeted
    militants."

"In its daily update of people killed in the nearly nine-month-old
    war, the Gaza health ministry said Israeli military strikes across the
    enclave killed at least 29 Palestinians in the past 24 hours and wounded
    100 others.

Among those killed in separate air strikes were five
    local journalists, raising the toll of journalists killed since 7
    October to 158, according to the Hamas-led Gaza government media office."

https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2024/0706/1458580-israel-hamas-talks/

Indeed and as usual it was followed by the excuse ' there were armed Hamas ' there. It is just wanton murder all along and the IDF are probably worse than Hamas at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭engineerws

So, looks like more news coming out.

No 40 babies beheaded. No evidence presented of rape. Now

Haaretz does not know whether or how many civilians and soldiers were hit due to these procedures, but the cumulative data indicates that many of the kidnapped people were at risk, exposed to Israeli gunfire, even if they were not the target.

Have to give credit to Haaretz and the other Israeli's who pursued and published the truth.

• Advertisement

Haaretz are obviously Hamas supporters and anti semitic as well. Gideon Levy, who works for this paper, is a great man. No doubt he is considered a traitor by the likes of the finance minister and his ilk.

I notice Secretary Blinken has been quiet lately, perhaps he is busy preparing sanctions against the said finance minister for his comments and recent actions regarding the West Bank.

Putin now targeting Children's hospitals in Ukraine. He and Netanyahu are so similar. Suffer the little children.

I reckon the Russians just noticed the strong support from many in the West (and on here) for the IDF bombing kids hospitals in Gaza.

Sure all the Russians need to do is say there were tunnels or enemy fighters somewhere nearby and let the defenders of its actions spring into motion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sheer evil. There's no other word for this sort of thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hypocrisy is how quick Russia are rightly condemned yet deafening silence on Israels bombing of hospitals and schools.

More women and children dead today

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/10/israel-gaza-war-latest-today-khan-younis-strike-abassan-death-toll

About 3 pages of comments have disappeared here too in my browser

• Registered Users Posts: 25,566 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think it may be the other way around. The war in Ukraine and Russian impunity could be having a corrosive effect on "norms" imo. It's pretty disturbing and worrying.

Netanyahu definitely admires Putin. He is massively arrogant, probably believes if the Russians can do all these war crimes day in day out, and get away with it scot free, why not us too as a "great nation" backed up by the US, esp. after suffering the Oct. 7th attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Don't give the credit to Haaretz for this one. This was found to be the case over 3 months ago by Al Jazeera. But because they are Qatari funded they'd probably be regarded as unreliable.

All of this was known however as soon as Israel announced their list of the dead.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/14-kids-under-10-25-people-over-80-up-to-date-breakdown-of-oct-7-victims-we-know-about/

No 40 beheaded babies, no babies found in ovens. Even though this was parroted by Biden, Blinken, Murray and a whole host of Knesset members who apparently saw videos detailing as such. Yet not a solitary one have come out and redacted their statements. It's not like the US would make up false information regarding atrocities committed against kids to gain public support for an unjustifiable war.

Ahem… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony

Ironically a lot of the atrocities that were pinned on Hamas as having happened, and which have subsequently been proven to be false have now been committed by Israel and yet there is zero mainstream condemnation of it. Russia bombs a hospital in Ukraine and Starmer, Trudeau etc are on Twitter immediately condemning it. A school filled with kids in Gaza is bombed the same day and there's **** crickets. They are either racist, bought or both. Easy to condemn something when your "morals" align with your interests.

This is going to shake Israeli society massively that its being reported internally. They can't and won't defeat Hamas. They haven't a hope of defeating Hezbollah. And their own security forces can not only not protect them, but are actually willing to kill them rather than see them taken hostage.

Oh and cause it hasn't been posted here yet. The Lancet estimates the death toll in Gaza could be as high as 186,000 people due to the sum total of the effects cause by Israel's genocide.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(24)01169-3/fulltext

That is just horribly inhuman. The only Democracy in the Middle East. Shame on anyone who can back that or not condemn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Democracies tend to cause some of the worst war crimes.

Israel have always been evil, democracy doesn't change that .

Advertisement