Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It'll happen sooner than this.

Sales of new ICEs will be banned sometime in the 2030s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

there isn’t a self driving car at the moment - so it won’t be something you’ll be subscribing to in 5 years time for sure.

The whole industry has slowed the rate of acceleration recently, pardon the pun. Level 3 and 4 self driving trials are being pared back, Cruise, Wayne etc. Tesla can’t get there with cameras, and FSD is too expensive. Maybe maybe in cities you’ll have driver less taxis like in China.

As for Irish EV rollout, realistically we’re 8-10 years from a tipping point for EVs in new car sales (80%+ market share), and then obviously 15-20 years for those sales to replace the national fleet of ICE cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There are self-driving cars operating in geographically limited areas in a number of places in the US. It's also a bit odd to say that a company that is paring back its operations by expanding into new cities and getting Californian regulatory approval for operation on highways. Saying that, I think we're at least a decade away from Autonomous Vehicle availability impacting purchase decisions.

I don't think the tipping point in sales can be defined as 80% share of new sales, surely the tipping point from a fleet replacement point of view is 50% + 1 market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Self-driving cars are already operating in 4 cities in the US and some cities in China.

We don't know Waymo's plan for scaling and it only takes one bad accident to set them back, but I think in 5 years Waymo will be in every major city in the US.

We'll have to see but 5 years isn't unrealistic that they'll be operating a taxi service in Ireland.

It will probably be over 10 years before it'll affect car sales though but it is inevitable.

I'm not sure about Tesla. It's impossible to predict.

In 2023 18.7% new cars in Ireland were EV.

I think in 5 years it'll have crossed the 50% barrier definitely which is the tipping point as you'll still have 20% hybrid, so only 30% will be petrol and diesel. I think this is when you'll start to notice petrol stations closing.

One tipping point which is only a year or two away is petrol and diesel being less than 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres still no additional incentives for companies to go EV, for the employees, yes, there's reduced BIK but for companies there's no grants for either the cars or for the chargers.

That would surely help move things along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭mun1

went shopping for a new EV for the OH this week.

ID3, BYD Dolphin, MG4, Nissan Leaf were on the radar.

To say all the dealers were nervous about EV sales would be an understatement.

They relaxed a bit when we said we weren’t trading in an EV. Two of them outright said they wouldn’t be able to take an EV as trade in. (We were trading in a 2021 petrol SUV)

I have never got such good trade in values and CoC as what i got this week. Even got follow on phone calls from three of the dealers bettering their first offer and offering to pay tax, service plans etc. (weird experience with Nissan dealer).

They all seemed desperate to move their EV’s.

Me and my OH are converted to EV’s (I’m on my second EVE) and couldn't wait to change the petrol car to EV. My OH was happy with Three of the cars on offer and the BYD dolphin won the day. It was close with the MG4 which is an excellent car . Got a great deal in the end

In summary the dealers seemed nervous about EV sales and there are some great deals to be had at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,086 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How much was the Dolphin before trade in? There seems to be decent prices available on the ID3 and MG4 at the moment. I wouldn't have bothered with the Leaf personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It’s sad to witness how much media and influencers have influenced EV sales in Ireland. My wife and I are trading in her EV for a hybrid partly due to the misinformation she’s encountered from friends and social media. Despite the fact that she rarely leaves the county, she now insists on having an engine in her next car. From my perspective, this decision lacks logic but I have an EV I like so I won't get involved in her decision. However, I hope that as new EV prices continue to fall, more people will be tempted to consider them rationally. Ultimately, it all comes down to long-term savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭mun1

€29,400 inc delivery . Comfort version.
    Leaf was a bit odd alright .

If it was my choice I would have picked the MG4 exclusive trim , lovely car and great to drive , and only slightly higher CoC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I can imagine a ULEZ type zone in cities in Ireland will encourage change to EVs in urban areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If she rarely leaves the County that makes no sense at all. Even if you lived in a huge County like Cork, it wouldn’t add up. Even if she was over anxious about range, surely the likes of a new LR Tesla or a used EQE would quell any fear. You should challenge her decision further before you both end up with mistake on 4 wheels sitting on your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am sorry but that makes no sense whats ever.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The fact that FUD has altered a buying decision, makes no sense at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

people don't realise how much FUD is impacting evs, it's everywhere

Yeah trying to get the last few company cars over to EV in work is proving difficult, despite having telematics on their vehicles and showing one guy that he exceeded 300kms in a day only 6 times last year he still thinks an EV won't suit him because of what he's reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up my id4 pro plus yesterday. Traded in a id4 gtx 222, I dealt back in April. 500 euro in and Pcp staying more or less the same. The pro plus is a 49k car minus 3k grant, the gtx in August 22 was a 68k car. When I bought was 58 minus 5k grant.The new id4 has much better software and 286 bhp on tap versus 199 in the gtx which had 299 under certain battery conditions>80% certain temps etc. the software and infotainment is much improved in the 2024 model. I did phone a few other garages at the time and they wouldn't take my car in trade in. Wasn't panicking as still had another year on Pcp. Feel like if I'm changing in 2 or 3 years again dust will have settled on the market. Some dodgy man maths with nighttime charging at home reckon 46k km cost us approx 800 euro versus what say an equivalent petrol or diesel would have cost about 4500 in fuel

Post edited by micks_address on

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

There are several reasons for her current situation. She’s contemplating longer commutes for work, which often require access to public charging stations. Typically, these journeys only necessitate a 15-minute charge, but due to range anxiety, she tends to charge for much longer. She suspects her battery is degrading, possibly influenced by advice from others. Interestingly, all her friends and family drive traditional petrol-powered cars. Unfortunately, the timed charging feature on her eV has never functioned properly, and our home charger has no a timer.

While I recognise the flaws in this situation, I was actively involved in the decision to purchase her EV. It was probably too early for her and we should have waited until some of her family and peers owned one. I’m aware that several family and peers believe we made an incorrect choice. They're conservative and probably won't own an EV for another 5-8 years. As an observer, I’m sitting back with a metaphorical bag of popcorn, eager to see how this unfolds—it’s shaping up to be an intriguing case study.

I'd have described it as an expensive case study more than intriguing! What car is she currently running? The difficulty and expense of getting rid of an EV at the moment might hopefully put an end to it though

Swapping out your home charger for one with the ability to charge when required would be my first step here. It’ll be a lot cheaper than getting hammered on trading in her EV at the moment for a petrol hybrid. If the battery has actually degraded, surely it’s under warranty and needs to be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭Goose81

You shouldn't be an observer, you are her husband and your opinion should be worth more than that of her family and friends, especially considering you are an enthusiast posting on forums about ev you clearly know more than they do.

• Advertisement

Similar situation in our house, changed wifes car recently and she stuck with petrol.. people make up their own minds whether someone else thinks they are right or wrong.. and that's the way it should be

Sounds like a good deal considering all that’s happening in the market. What was the estimated value of the GTX when you did your deal ?

as long as the decision is made with sound rationale and not based on misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

That’s a slightly Andrew Tateish viewpoint (as are done of the comments above by others). Buying a car is an utterly subjective and personal choice, whether it is the colour, interior or powertrain.

I suggested to my wife we could get an ev in the past as her driving would accommodate it. She said no, she didn’t want to know about one, she liked the comfort of knowing she could easily refuel without faffing about with public chargers, even if it was only once a year. She also said she didn’t want a white car, wanted awd, and something that could move at a reasonable pace and had leather… all reasonable requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I realised in London a lot of people in the ULEZ don't have home charging. A lot of modern ICE are allowed in the ULEZ. Its noticeable how many very expensive EVs are in the ULEZ but far fewer cheaper EVs. Smaller ICE cars are very common, easier to park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think sales of EV will stay slow until the current price war stabilises. It has demolished consumer confidence and media have milked it for click bait.

It's interesting people are very curious about my changing...they were like how much did you lose, did they refuse to take the car back, how bad was the battery etc.. I was like I don't really care.. changing has cost me next to nothing.. I suppose if you are on Pcp I just look at the monthly payment and as long as that's the same or close enough and I haven't to put in additional money prices don't really matter. Everything is totally negative around EVs at the moment

Andrew tatish, get a grip of yourself. If someone is making a financial decision with family finances and it's based on misinformation and fud it's pretty reasonable to talk it out and make sure everyone has the facts not a head filled with garbage.

And if your wife doesn't need to publicly charge then not getting an ev and buying a hybrid instead is a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

the hybrid/phev was also the more sound financial decision…. There was actually no basis on which the ev made sense except in an evangelical one.

Advertisement