Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I wouldn't have expected them to finance cat 3 stadia. The least they could have done is take an interest and go after funding for them.

Even the "New FAI" are chaotic and forgot to draw down €500k in a UEFA grant around the time they were begging the government for a bailout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Only change from last week is Coyler back in the xi, with the three new signings on the bench.

We haven't beaten Drogs yet this season so this will be a tough game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I see they put fences up at Eamonn Deacy Park to stop people shouting directly into Ed McCarthy's when he's taking a throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Moreso to keep fans of the Dublin teams off the pitch. It worked too. We've been absolutely desperate. Ye should/could be 3 or 4 up, hopefully we can make ye rue the missed chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Pats the better side so far in the RSC. Forrestor smacked the crossbar with one effort, and had another one wide (hard to see with the camera angle how close it was). Chances for Brandon kavanagh and Mason Melia too. Just need to find a goal, but we’re looking a better team all round now.

I don't think we're looking very convincing at all against Drogs.

Just can't seen to get any coherent passing or attacking going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's the first time I've seen Bohs dominate midfield in about two years. It's almost ominous. 2-1 Galway nailed on.

Edit: as I type there's the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Derry continue to steadfastly refuse to win this league I see.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hahahahahhahaha

What a shítshów for us, and we still extend our lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think that's the league over in many ways. When we drop points Derry can't take advantage, infact we still pulled one more ahead, despite having two men sent off. And Derry will continue to drop points. Dunno how Drogheda didn't win that in the end, easier to score that header than miss.

Any doubt about Shels collapsing on the run in under pressure is moot I think also. Derry have a bigger psychological block about getting over the line. And when we don't win, we generally don't lose.

I said a few weeks back when people felt we were under pressure, we'd win the league by 10+ points, and I can't see any other outcome. We'll continue to stretch the lead, and the chasing pack just aren't good enough.

We've also strenghted considerably. The league is over. Then again, it was over the minute we signed Jarvis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

They simply aren't good enough. Have been short of winning the league for a few years, and still haven't built and pushed on. They're not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I could have screamed at the tv tonight.

What is it with us and playing in Sligo. Always poor.

And why can't we capitalise on any slip Shels make? They had just conceded an equaliser then we concede as well.

As for the defending for Sligos winner. I haven't seen worse. I have watched it a few times and can't work out what Shane MeEleney was doing. He seems to run out of the way of Chapman, who was able to run from his own half with no tackles.

we have had more than enough chances handed to us this season, we simply aren't clinical enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No arguments here, they are just outright refusing to win it. Purely through inconsistency, best team I've seen us play this season every time we bloody play them but cannot be consistent enough.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ya we were miles off it first half, ye bullied us all over the pitch.

Complete reversal after the first couple of minutes of the second half. Ye had a chance to make it 2 and then we went and scored. Ye never really came back into it and we won the battles that ye were winning first half.

I'd like to see a replay of our disallowed goal as didn't see an infringement live. I'd have taken a point if offered at HT so can't argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I believe that’s the first time we’ve been in the league in a game and not won it this season. Drogheda were decent tonight, but I’ll still need to see some of these refereeing decisions back.

Obviously if offered this combination of results at the start of the night I’d have taken it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Annoying to lose that in Waterford tonight. We had enough chances in the first half to score that we failed to take. Waterford's first chance in the 2nd half they score and we didn’t do enough to break them down. Credit where it's due they defended very well in the 2nd half although like all Keith Long sides they're awful to watch once they go ahead because of their gamesmanship which the refs always take too long to clamp down on. Lots of work needed on the training pitch before the crucial cup tie in Derry in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was wonderful and weird and exactly on brand for us this year.

As one of the lads said so eloquently earlier:

"This is hilarious, we s--t the bed, have two sent off, concede a late equalizer and still end up stretching our lead and the sending offs only impact a s—-y cup game"

Drogs are a pox to play. Our complete bogey team.

I have kinda given up hope of winning the league this year.

I know some will say, "sure you're only a max of 6pts behind", but honestly I don't think we have the mental toughness to do it. Nor has our manager the ability to get the team to play for an entire game instead of short periods. We have had countless chances to gain ground and yet we always pass them up.

I just think it's Shels year.

• Advertisement

It's reverse psychology on my part!

I am usually a terrible predictor of footy, so I'm hoping I'm wrong again.

Agree on that. Shels have more weapons throughout their team than ye have, imo. Ye are just too prone to those crap performances and results like tonights, the night we won at The Brandy well etc. The 2 games ye have left against Shels will be your biggest chance to claw it back.

I promised myself that I'd keep it country til August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Hope it all comes to fruition. It would be great for the northwest region and great for the league.

Sligo Rovers a real credit to the LOI with their positive forward thinking outlook as a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ah come on you can't be celebrating a Shels league title when we just put in one of our worst performances of the season last night against the basement team where we got away with absolute murder to escape with a point

McLaughlin was muck all night long letting Drogheda away with persistent fouling, now he got both of the Barrett yellow cards spot on crazy stuff from Paddy but the Tyreke 2nd yellow card was a joke I did not see any deliberate handball the ball was smashed across his body path with milliseconds to react or pull his arms out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Nonsense.

Even Wilson buried his head on the ground after he had realised what he had done.

The ref bottled out of a third red for Coyle after he body checked Luke Heeney. He did Drogheda no favours last night.

You had the game in your hands last night and threw it away. No-one to blame but your own players.

But, given other results, it was a great night for you and you will win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Rovers need to give up this playing out from the back. For this to work you need centre backs who can actually find a team mate with a pass. Anytime Rovers tried to play out they had 5 Dundalk players closing them down, you could almost feel the panic. Twice in Richmond goals were given away by this stupid tactic, costing us 6 points. Definition of insanity , doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If they try that on Tuesday the Icelanders will be all over them. I fear though that Bradley has a fixed way of playing and isn't going to change now. Sometimes route 1 is the way to go, keep the ball far away from your goal and play in the oppositions half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Absolutely sickened by that late goal being disallowed for Galway last night, and the more I look at it back, there was nothing!

No foul, keeper and defender got in each others way. Keeper fumbled it, there was no real complaint from Bohs players re the foul, or contesting the ball crossing the line. The way the heads dropped, I’d say they even though it was a goal. The lino didn’t signal a foul.
    Only ref O’Shea inexplicably decided to rule it out!

Now don’t get me wrong, a draw is probably a fair result on the balance of the game, but it’s a sickener!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

I could get use to these Thursday night league fixtures. The Waterford v St.Pats game was a terrific advert for the game again. Great setting, decent weather on the night, good crowd and two teams playing nice entertaining football on a very good surface.

😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

About playing out from the back, I think they should mix it up more and go long from the keeper now and then. The main problem I see is that the build up play is so slow. While the result last night was welcome, the play overall wasn't good, just decent in patches. I though Burns was great when he came on: he can really offer the X factor, and his crossing is really good. Last night was another false dawn, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Cleary and Grace are probably the two best central defenders at playing out from the back and they weren't involved last night, but agree we have been poor playing out this year. Watts and Byrne played some nice balls in behind the defence and Kenny is at least looking better this season with his runs in behind, it was a great pass and finish for the goal. Where are we at with injuries now? Seems like we have most back - Farrugia, Gaffney and Grace the only ones who are still currently injured?

Graham Burke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Scored a deserved goal and then stopped playing instead of showing a killer instinct. Thought Diallo was having a great game up until that silly foul.

I don't want to be too critical of Waweru as I've watched some absolute wasters up front for us over the years and at the very least he gives 100% every time he's on the pitch, but we desperately need a forward. Can we have Colm Whelan until the end of the season please? 🙃

Typical Higgins, that's what he does.

Loves to hold on to a narrow lead, and it too often backfires on him. Will cost us again this season.

Derry are a weird narrative to me. I’ve only seen you play twice this season and both games were wars of attrition where neither team really ever had the other hand.

But then throughout the season, it seems like every time you win, it’s masses of people talking about how you’re miles better than us, and only a matter of time until you pull clear. But then the minute you drop points it’s similar amounts of people acting like we have it in the bag and Higgins just isn’t capable.

which is it?

THe latter.

And take that as someone who watches every game.

If you don't win a trophy in 2024, will he be there next season?

Hopefully not. It's the end of his 3 yr reign too.

• Advertisement

Looking from the outside, you'd think that it might be the end of the road alright.

I think it's nonsense when someone associates intentional guilt over a player's devastated reaction when he has conceded a penalty with his team just gone down to 10 men when could not spin his body and arms out of the way thanks to the ridiculous handball rule. There is no yellow card direction for unavoidable/unintentional handball and it was not a shot on goal, McLaughlin initially after the award of the penalty was walking towards the penalty spot away from Wilson. There have been constant problems with McLaughlin since we've been back in Premier Division most notorious decision against us was also involving handball in the penalty box in the opposite way against Bohs in the FAI Cup last season when James McManus deliberately stretched out his arms to block a shot directly in McLaughlin's eye line no more 10 yards away and McLaughlin waved play on

Also Coyle pulled out of what would have been bodycheck instead bumped into Heeney who went down like a tonne of bricks and stayed on the ground as if he was shot even McLaughlin wouldn't have been dumb enough to give another 2nd yellow for that

Impressive crowd of 5,300 in Tallaght on Thursday given recent results

Shels' tinted glasses.

Give Amnesty a shout. They might help overturn this miscarriage of justice.

Mother of God I finally saw a replay of the disallowed goal. Eoghan O'Shea is incompetent is the nicest thing I can say. Chorazka comes out and runs into the back of his own player, no obstruction, no push, no nothing and yet he somehow disallowed it.

Further confirmation that referees are very frequently guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

come back to me when you have a free given against you for the goalkeeper catching it 2 yards inside his own box…

And your goalkeeping coach gets a 6 week ban for complaining about it

Drogheda goal in Derry disallowed for offside two weeks ago.

With the Derry goalkeeper and a defender standing on the goal line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Random uneducated prediction time!

Games v Ireland + Iceland clubs are generally very tight, and whatever side wins often has to play very well to edge it. It'll be interesting to see what Vikingur are like, knowing nothing of the league, I imagine Breidablik were an exceptional side by Icelandic standards who Rovers really didn't treat with the respect they should of last season. I imagine they ended up not retaining the league due to playing 16 (I think?) games in Europe last season, and probably lost some good players in the off season.

I can't see Vikingur being quite as good, but neither are Rovers who seem to be declining year on year. I think Rovers could win if they learn from last season, decided to play more conservatively and ground it out, I'm thinking positive thoughts and thinking this will be Rover's final hurrah and Johnny Kenny will do something on the break.

Reckon Derry and Shelbourne should really be winning both legs at least certainly edging their way through. Think they'll all be in trouble in Round 2 if they make it. Gibraltar clubs are also in pre season, LOI clubs have a massive advantage there.

I'd give Pat's a solid shot against Vaduz, they're not bad, but they're Swiss 2nd tier and in pre season, they're wildly inconsistent from season to season in Europe, apparently lost their top scorer in the off season, hard to know but It's not the worst draw.

Do it for the co efficient lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

All 4 sides could progress but its the LOI so two could fall as well.

Vaduz are backed by the Lichteinstein royal family and have a budget of around E4 million. They`d be a top end LOI outfit if they were Irish and should be seen that way. Vaduz finished third in last seasons challenge league, albeit a distant one, behind Sion and FC Thun but they`d both have budgets of over E5 million.

They`re also the only team in Europe that`s guaranteed European football every year so they know what it`s about. I`d be surprised if Pats got past them with the season they`ve had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I once got to watch Longford lose to Vaduz live :D

Derry are the only team I'd be confident are an absolute cert, every other tie is probably 60/40 or 40/60

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement