Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 (Brad Pitt, Joseph Kosinski)

Options
  • 05-07-2024 7:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Finally Pitt's mysterious Formula 1 movie, that had gone vastly over budget and subject to reshoots, has a name; not "Apex" as had been rumoured but the rather succinct if bland "F1".

There's a trailer due Sunday and in the meantime here's a poster with a heavily airbrushed Brad Pitt under a helmet.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailer's here. This is gonna have to do serious Megabucks to claw back that supposed 375 million budget.

Certainly looks like a tonne of this was filmed for real; can't stand modern F1 car designs though, they're so fúcking ugly compared with old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

^^^

F1 management have blocked the video from display on this website.

See will WB block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Brad Pitt is far too old to be an F1 driver..... Its laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

That was the first thing I thought there are no 50 year old F1 drivers let alone a 60 year old F1 driver

Nigel Mansell was the oldest winner of an F1 race in the last 50 years when he won a race at 41 in 1994

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite an odd teaser, and odd music choice too… and living in a weird inbetweeny world with real teams and some real characters (saw Guenther Steiner in there), while also being firmly fictional. Feels like they're definitely hoping to glom onto some of the Drive to Survive audience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah - Drive to Survive: The Movie was the vibe I got from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wasn't my original thought but seen it wondered if, given the entities behind this, even with the gigantic budget there'll be a degree of write-off going on re. box-office? With Formula 1 itself being a big part of this, coupled with Apple's own deep pockets looking for subscribers at the end of this … perhaps any potential loss in the cinemas will be offset against pumping the brand?

I don't immediately think Top Gun's more universal appeal will translate into the already niche genre of Formula 1 racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ford V Ferrari scratched the itch Im afraid , looks like it would just be boring

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 45,949 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It didn't work for Top Gun —> Days of Thunder.

and I love Days of Thunder.

• Advertisement

To be fair, Days of Thunder was a gigantic externalisation of cocaine fuelled 1980s filmmaking via Producer diktat; and NASCAR would be an even larger niche than F1 ever would be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Brian May waved the flag at the British GP, wonder is it connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I liked the trailer. but I am an F1 fan. So keeping an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Lauras Law

Just because Brad Pitt is 60 in real life doesn't mean he has to play a 60-year-old in this film. If you were to look at a photo of Nigel Mansell from 1994 and compare it to Brad Pitt today, Brad Pitt could easily be perceived as being a similar age to Mansell when he was still racing in F1.

Good grief: apparently there's still more raceday shooting taking place. The Belgium GP is this weekend and the F1 crew will be there to shoot scenes.

The final budget for this is gonna be insane. I had just presumed they were done with all the trackside stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think Pitt has picked himself some cracking films over the years. This filmography in my IMHO is all killer with little filler. One of my favourite film is Moneyball.

In terms of the budget I remember somebody saying that the money recieved in sponsorship for these racing movies is colossal (I believe it was said about the ballad of Ricky Bobby). Going by the trailer it will be as branded wall to wall as real F1.

Advertisement