Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

Nonsense. The car pushing thing was completely overblown. McDonald had that team the fittest they had been in years. We played the semi final that year in a sulk and allowed a nervous Donegal team who never won a semi-final to go on and win their first all ireland against a very average Dublin team. Yeah blame the management for that.

"Accepting less than the best is one of the reasons why we haven't won Sam in over 70 years" So after not accepting those managers we went on to win the all ireland then did we? Since McDonald we've had Maughan twice, Jack O'Shea, O'Mahoney, Horan twice, Holmes Connelly, McStay twice. Yeah it's definitely the managers that are the problem.

So who should have got the job instead of McStay then? Second place candidate Ray Dempsey only lasted a few weeks in Limerick.

Whinging about referees and calling for manager sackings is never going to bring an all Ireland to Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭muddle84

Regarding Rossie Fans: Was it 2021 when the bonfires were lit for us on the way home? And a certain tractor dealer had signs up for the Mayo fans on the way home?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

we can't forget this absolute golden nugget from 2021 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’d be more worried about anyone that paid any attention to what that mouthpiece had to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

With moran gone from Letrim will he end up on any mayo set up?

• Advertisement

Not strictly Mayo football related but a former Mayo player - Andy Moran steps down from Leitrim…possibly the next Rossie manager if Davy Burke goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Good footballer and got better with age but lets leave it at that.

Think he has a lot more to do if he want's the Mayo manager gig. Roscommon might be a more logical option at this point. He's an infectious personality but I have my doubts about his tactical ability.

That's assuming he wants to continue in manager roles and not step down to an assistant/selector role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kildare commenced a process of appointing a new Senior Footballer Manager tonight be interesting to see will Andy Moran be one of their candidates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not a hope! I'd say he'll keep his profile up with the aim/hope of being the next Mayo manager, I don't see him taking over any other county before he gets a shot at even interviewing for the Mayo gig.

• Advertisement

If that's the case he won't have much of a CV . Will need more than that to be a credible applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Ya ,

Mayo job too soon for him & its not like he ripped up any trees in Leitrim either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Connaught Telegraph doing as they do best specultiing that Andy Moran has left Leitrim to link up with Kevin McStay's set up for 2025. For that to happen one of Rochford,Buckley will have to step down/leave and Moran would be a down grade on both of them in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭tanko

Andy Moran has plenty of experience of how a properly functioning forward line operates does he not. What is Donie Buckley an expert in again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What about the Corofin coach that replaced McHale?

Moran was good forward in his playing days, his experience in coaching is limited sure most of the coaching at Leitrim was done under Mike Solan,Mickey Graham. Donie Buckley coaching played its part in the many close run attempts in ending the All Ireland famine. Good tackling throughout the team and turn overs is the strong point of his coaching.

@irishgeo Just arrived last winter and would expect him to stay a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

John O'Mahony dead, RIP

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0707/1458648-double-all-ireland-winning-manager-john-omahony-dies/

I have great memories of 88 & 89, my first times in Croke Park.

Very sad. Great manager and a decent man. RIP John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

At a time when we're likely to see a big shift in tactics due to tweaks in the rules (though no clear path yet on what those final changes will look like) I'd be excited to see what Donie Buckley can do next year. He's exactly the man you'd want coming into the unknown like this.

Studies the game (& other games) as closely as anyone in the country, learns from & builds upon best coaching practices globally & constantly shifting & updating his coaching to keep it fresh & progressing for lads working under him for multiple years. Expecting a move to the new 12v12 setups and handling counter plays to how others might try and manipulate free runners under the new system will be something I'd expect him to shine at.

Fingers and toes crossed Donie isn't going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭boosabum

Brought joy to mayo, Galway and Leitrim fans.

Managed salthill in the last few years also.

• Advertisement

St Brigids in Roscommon fans also as in the 90s he led them to their first county title since the 60s and was involved in their first ever Connacht title won in the 00s. Mayo hadn't reached All Ireland senior final since 1951 before he became manager and a good few of that 1989 senior team was part of 1983 U21 All Ireland winning managed by John. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Just on the rules - I can't believe more teams aren't milking the attacking mark for all it's worth, it's an absolute gift to forwards if you can work them in any sort of half decent position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Agreed. It's crazy.

Tyrone have had a couple of interesting moves straight off the training ground that have worked wonderfully well for them… though even then it's a rare sight for them rather than a common one.

It'll be interesting to watch if the new 'advantage' change or just the 20/45 positioning change manage to make it through. The advantage in particular (especially if combined with a 4 point goal) could see an increase in use as it gives a huge opportunity to attack sides & not having to fear the turnover so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

John O'Mahoney. A Mayo man that won for Mayo, Leitrim and Galway. With all the talk of rivalry a reminder of the little difference there is between us. RIP John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

John O' Mahoney and his team in 1989 gave so many Mayo people our first experience of our team being in an All Ireland final.

As one of those Mayo people I will forever be grateful.

R.l.P

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Was very sad to hear about John O'Mahoney.

He was mainly overshadowed by the profile of Micko, Boylan and Morgan in his time but delving deeper he left some legacy to Mayo, Leitrim and Galway.

Not many Football Finals in my time has quite captured the public in the manner of Galways triumph in 1998.

Very much an underappreciated figure in the game.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not sure the decision was his own. On June 24th. 2024 in an interview with Michael Verney Irish Indeoendent, he said he was looking for a new three year contract with Leitrim.

Possibly not his decision. Media reports seemed to present it that way though - stepped down…Leitrim GAA quoted as disappointed. 3 years would be a big commitment for Leitrim board so maybe out of courtesy they let him say he was stepping away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

RIP John O'Mahony

When you think about it, a connacht championship beating Roscommon, Galway & Mayo, surely one of the greatest achievements ever in the GAA?

1989 started something very special for us.

• Advertisement

It was an amazing achievement. Just to think he was forced to walk away from Mayo by the county board and came back only 3 years later with a small football county like Leitrim and beat them in a connacht final. John wouldn't be one for holding grudges but there was a certain poetic justice to it.

I remember the public outcry when he dropped Padraig Brogan from the Mayo panel in the late 80s but he knew it had to be done for the overall good of the panel and to bring Mayo to the next level. He had a great combination of decency and authority

Advertisement