Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think they said, might do a reaction pod tonight and just have a single hurling/rugby review on Monday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Football anoraks hate this one weird trick

Gareth Southgate

Ken is right, the tournament is too long and drags on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Dale Johnson from ESPN explains why the curucella incident wasn’t a penalty. He’s a good follow for people who want to know the current rules of the game.

People obviously have issues with the handball rule but they blame the officials when what they want is a different rule.

• Advertisement

Hell no. That's absolutely a take from someone trudging around a country on train for weeks. There's little sport on TV mid-week this time of the year and the Euros are a godsend. Expand it to 32 teams.

Nah it's been crap enough, 16 teams all killer, no filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

France, England, Portugal, Italy, Belgium would make the 16 and have been awful to watch. One bad tournament doesn’t mean 16 is best.

It’s obviously not going to happen anyway but it can be argued about 16 or 24.

Jamie might be getting his wish of a Cork Clare final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Well, we know who to blame if they don't make it!

• Advertisement

And his reverse jinx worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hurling pod's gonna be fun this week!

Also, the Euros has been crap.

It’s been a fantastic Euros.

It’s also funny to hear Ken’s sneering about Don Diego’s takes only for him to then earnestly repeat them after having to watch Bellingham in person for a few weeks.

Post edited by Tucker.Tim on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The euros have been dull in the main. Thank god there wasn't a game this evening to following the hurling today! Hopefully the semifinals will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭bren2001

Oh look, a hung parliament and Macrons centerist alliance came 2nd. What a shocker…

What happened to the comfortable majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, it hasn't really been that fantastic.

Majority of the knockouts have been dull affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"hung parliament" is a nonsensical and exclusively British concept.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Its not.

Either way, the poster above claimed Macrons party would storm home with a majority. That hasn't happened.

Looks like Phillipe was spot on with his prediction and I was right to trust the early polls.

Right wing nuts weren’t even the biggest party.

The early polls predicted a hung parliament. The late polls predicted a hung parliament. It's absolutely not clear who the next prime minister will be or how a government will be formed in France.

You predicted a comfortable Macron majority. Macrons party are not the biggest. They came 2nd. Baffling you'd consider yourself correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Euros started well, but from the second round onwards has been getting worse with each set of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I hope they do a piece on the abuse of the Irish women’s team in the 90s, what went on was fairly shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 31,629 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I see it's on the RTE player now too. Will check it out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

With so many 3rd place teams getting through the group stages are really dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quango Unchained

The teams are looking tired. A time to talk about improving the game?

Bring in rolling subs? I know the Dutch FA are proposing this. It would allow the coaching staff to change tactics more quickly and give the players more of a rest. Older players could have longer careers.

Bring in kick-ins instead of throw-ins, with the kicks having to be taken within 20 seconds or so. They'd probably need to make corners more attacking to compensate - like not allowing any player (except for the defending GK) inside the penalty area before a corner is taken or taking the corner from a different infield position.

Also, a sin bin would be a good idea for cynical play - fouls that clearly prevents an attacking opportunity or diving. Often these fouls go unpunished during the game in which the foul is committed. There is no benefit to the opposing team if a player prevents a goal scoring chance and is banned for the next game through multiple yellow cards (in cup competitions anyway).

Get rid of off-side. It was abandoned in other sports. I strongly believe the disadvantages of offside outweigh the advantages. It stops players and fans from celebrating goals in the moment because they're always worried a goal may be offside. It's also very contentious and nearly impossible to get every decision right throughout a game at amateur level without technology. It would be much easier to referee a game without it. It would spread out the play.

Get rid of VAR. The games should be same game, from the bottom of the amateur leagues right through to professional levels. Again, it kills goals from being celebrated in the moment.

Aside from getting rid of VAR, I hate all of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quango Unchained

Some people do very badly with any sort of change.

Underage football already has kick-ins, no off-side and rolling subs. It's fine.

Edit: And no VAR of course. Once off-side is introduced at U12, the games become unfair. Half the games are decided by very hard to call off-side decisions and it is an impossible task for referees to get these right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Other than Spain and Germany, it's been the bigger nations, some of which are still in the tournament, that have been stinking the place out with awful football. France could get to a final without scoring a goal in open play.

The only really good games that i can recall, involved Germany, Spain, Austria, Georgia and Turkey.

Didi Hamann made the point that they should go ahead and make it a 32 team tournament, as it's the smaller countries that were really having a go in games and getting stuck in. That would also get rid of the rather annoying thing of the best 3rd place teams getting through. However, it wasn't annoying when it was us going through in 3rd back in 2016.

• Advertisement

Underage football already has kick-ins, no off-side and rolling subs. It's fine.

I wouldn't use anything at underage to justify changes professionally.

Some people do very badly with any sort of change.

It's probably the most watched sport in the world. It doesn't need radical changes to the rules. Just less games for players. The game is fine imo.

You said teams were looking tired and then gave a list of changes where most don't address that at all.

Getting rid of offside would be horrible, just lump it to the big man at the edge of the box. At pro level, semi automated offsides are great. It's an issue that pretty much solved now.

Rolling subs sounds horrendous. Bigger teams can just stockpile more talent and roll them on and off when needed. Smaller teams will just set their stall out to be broken down and then change it up for setpieces etc. It sounds horrific to me. I'd revert to 3 subs and not go the other way.

The rest I don't like but ultimately don't care. Kick ins? Sure, whatever. I think it'll slow the game down because everything is essentially a free kick, just say throw ins must be taken within 20 seconds if that's what you want. Sin bins? Not something I like but sure, if that's what they want. Only the keeper in the box for corners? Wtf? Just seems bizarre but sure if the lawmakers think it's better.

Advertisement