Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Ours went to pre order four weeks ago. Due to be connected on Monday. It had been down as Oct to Dec 24

• Registered Users Posts: 5 knightfoon

okay, sounds plausible. Seems like they’ve set everything up then. I pre ordered for now with blacknight and hopefully we will get it soon. It’s just odd cuz we wouldn’t get it until 2025!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭clohamon

There's a few actual diaries back on the thread, eg @Dero's here and here, or @theguzman's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 knightfoon

seems like everything is put in place then! Amazing. Hopefully I’ll have fiber within three months. Our current internet is so bad. We get 10 mbps, and our provider is implementing a price increase for that for 65 euros a month 💀

Was due to have fiber installed today and got a text at 8am confirming a 1200-1600 slot. Had taken a day off work for it but no installer turned up. Phoned KN to be told that my appointment was cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances" but nobody bothered letting me know. Told them I was annoyed with this and the fact that I had taken a day off for nothing. Trying to get an appointment for tomorrow but don't hold out much hope, and if they can't god knows when as I can't keep taking days off for this. Any similar experiences and how long did it take to rearrange an appointment?

Post edited by mossie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BandMember

KN wouldn't be installing it though? Surely it would be the ISP (i.e. Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc.) that you would need to contact?

KN do the installation for Vodafone, they texted me appointment details and the contact number is KN's. It now looks like it's being done on Thursday so I'll have to try to get off work again for something that was their fault.

Post edited by mossie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Got email saying ordering was available ..put in order with Vodafone...circnet called out today to connect and then after a while engineer said there was a problem outside and the connection had to be put on hold until it was resolved...he said a pole would have to be put in outside...wonder how long the delay will be now as had cancelled imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

I needed a pole also and was dealt with through KN Circet. Took about 3 months from first visit until line was active.

DELETE

• Advertisement

My NBI FTTH from Eir was installed by KN Circet, not once did I deal with Eir or an Eir engineer visit. All contact was from KN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Update on this ..emailed NBI about this and received following reply

"Thank you for reaching out to the team at National Broadband Ireland (NBI).
    When the technician was on site he discovered there is no light at the Distribution Point.This is now with our Field Engineers team to resolve.Once resolved, KN Circet will be reappointed"

What does that even mean?

Thing about it is my very elderly parents depending on the landline (VoIP on imagine) for emergencies and I'm afraid they lose the service and worse the landline number if there's a significant delay between disconnecting existing service and connecting the new service

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What does that even mean?

Upstream fibre fault.

I understand the concern about losing service, but it's not a good idea to cancel an old service until the new one is in place. Also, Vodafone should be able to handle cancelling the Imagine service for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BBeats

I consistently have to revert to 3G in the midlands with vodafone because the 4G coverage is so crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭con747

I can barely get 2G at the best of times! 😂 Only 2 more years to go before fibre rolls out for me though 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is the NBI checker usually reliable enough when they give expected connection dates?

Would it ever happen you might get connected earlier than what the website predicts?

oh lord, there will be some uproar when they switch 2/3G off 🙄

I gave up with their predicted install dates to be honest, I posted dates way back in this thread and all moved forward.

I think with personal medical alarms and house alarms it might be complicated to though, and ESBN use the 2G now for smart meters.

I got ready to connect email 12 months before predicted date given on NBI website. So I take their predictions with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

And would the potential switch off of the copper network, it will only add more issues.

House alarms can't (from what I've tried) be wired into the new VOIP phone "line" that is part of the Fibre router box.

Easy fix was a sim card into the system and linked to monitoring company and is decent value at €80 for the year. But so many people going to be hit with issues when copper and 2/3g turns off, as just won't be aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, vf 3g is practically non existent now, even when you select it, there is only 5mhz of bandwidth, and that's if it's still even on air in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Helium

I recently went to pre order, was originally saying oct/dec this year so well pleased. Anyway within 24 hrs had 2 reps from Eir and Vodafone. Eir seems like a good offer for the 1GB for €45 for 2 years , so I opted for it and have a date for Aug 15th for Survey/Connection.

Now in meantime I'm reading lots of bad reviews about Eir and wondering did I make a mistake in my haste for FTTH. Seems to be a mixed bag of reviews on this forum re: Eir

Has anyone here cancelled their pre order and switched to another provider, and is it a messy process.

I know Sky allows internet phone calls in the UK where you just plug the phone into the back of their routers, but unsure if that's available here?, I think the service is free but the calls aren't, surely there is contingency plans for that here, as a lot of people still use land line phones especially the older age groups…

….

It is here in longford (5bars), and can get 10mb download, compared with 1 bar of LTE (15mb)

Oh, you can do that. An Eir phone plugged into back of the Fibre Router, same house phone number then, just works through VOIP. But this line can't be wired into may systems in a house, alarms etc are issue at present. And the phone calls are free if local/off peak but absolutely no one uses it only older folk still. I've the option with my router and my number is active, but I'm never going to plug a phone into it. Landlines in homes will be dead in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

3g transmits it's pilot signal at a much higher level than the 4g pilot, so there is always a difference in signal strength between 3g and 4g.

4g.gives better performance.and throughput at lower thresholds.than 3g also, so you are generally.much better.to.camp.on to.a 4g network layer than a 3g one, apart from the fact that your Vodafone 3g network.will.be gone.soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Our area, Newport Tipp DA, has gone to Network Build Underway.

I wonder if we'll see rollout in 2025?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Have you tried other operators? maybe Vodafone mast is too far away but 3 or Eir are more suitable (as is the case for me)
    I went from rubbish 4g to rock solid 4g+ (100Mb min) by changing providers.

Sorry for the de-rail. Here is an on topic question….

New poles just went up down the road. Does this give an indication of how far away the cables and black box yolks are likely to be?

Advertisement